Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meadowbank Break In

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

Just came home after a weeks holidays and house was broken into in Meadowbank.

House has been ransacked and a lot stolen.

If anyone sees the following for sale please please PM me.

37 inch samsung TV

21 inch LG TV

IQON Laptop

Black Wii

Packard Bell PC

Sony 19 inch Monitor

Gold Jewllery, including a ring with two love hearts and the initials R.M. engraved on them. There was a lot of jewellery taken which included two old rings that were of huge sentimental value.

D&G Gold watch, a sort of linked wristband.

It was probably broken into this weekend, pretty devastated walking into home after a nice holiday to find all this gone and house destroyed.
    Only a few months back our car was broken into and Gardai caught them sitting in car trying to hot wire it, not so lucky this time.

If you want to let me know about anything you hear I can assure I won't be passing on any names or otherwise please contact Waterford Gardai or confidential helpline.

Thanks for any help you can give in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

That's terrible...I hope they find them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Thanks.

Probably not gonna catch em. House behind us was broken into and robbed last week. Meadowbank is a right fcukin dump to live in now. Graffiti sprayed everywhere. Houses having windows blown in all the time.
    Car robbed and now house robbed. Just right pissed off.

Just have a slight hope someone might be decent enough to let me know about hearing anything about the stuff being for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

The location is not great even though the entrance is not far from the Cork Road. I hope you were insured:(

Yes Boss wrote: »
    The location is not great even though the entrance is not far from the Cork Road. I hope you were insured:(

Nope. Renting the house. Never got content insurance, was thinking about it and never went ahead with it. Tough titty now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Make sure you check Cash Converters in town too.We had stuff stolen before and it ended up in there(which we walk past everyday so he wasn't the brightest spark). Plus they have to keep the exact time of receipt for every item and can match it up with the security cameras showing who checked it in.

• Advertisement

Make sure you check Cash Converters in town too.We had stuff stolen before and it ended up in there(which we walk past everyday so he wasn't the brightest spark). Plus they have to keep the exact time of receipt for every item and can match it up with the security cameras showing who checked it in.

Gardai told us to do the same. They said it's amazing how many they have caught who have gone straight in there and handed in stolen items. Chances are we won't find a thing but shur no harm in trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Would you landlord not have House insurance? check that out.

tc2010 wrote: »
    Would you landlord not have House insurance? check that out.

Highly unlikely to be honest. With any content insurance the contents would have to be made known in detail to insurance company before they would ever pay out. And that's only if the landlord decided to cover my belongings anyways which there would be no sense in him doing anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

crap, sorry to hear :(
    Hope you get some of your stuff back

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jake la motta

Living in Meadowbank also Deisedevil and sorry to hear it. My place was robbed two years ago but not to the extent your was.

Basically a guy called to the door whilst I was at work but my father was in the house hanging a cabinet in the downstairs bathroom, this guy had called to the house a few days earlier about a car I was scrapping and I said if you take it away its yours as it was only gathering moss. He told my father he had got the car running again and was looking for the log book, it was upstairs, and when my father went upstairs he went inside and helped himself to all my PS3 games and an Ipod. My father felt like a right fool for not locking the door behind him as he went upstairs but he's genarally a very trusting man, unfortunate on this occasion.

I called the gardai that night, they came over and took a statement. I gave them the details of the car I had given away also. These scumbags aren’t the brightest so there is hope you might recover some stuff, in my case they took the plates off my car, there was never a chance it would be drivable again, and they stole another car on some guy down from New Ross for the night with his girlfriend, same make and model as mine but about 6 years newer. As I had given them the car for nothing they thought the Gardai will have no record of this stolen or won’t be looking out for it but when they robbed my house I had given the details of the car.

The house was robbed on a Friday night; they stole the second car on the Saturday and were caught running a red light on the Sunday night in the stolen car with my plates on it. They were done for grand theft auto and burglary. They had sold my games to Xtravision.

Most of them were from Ballybeg about 16-19yrs of age and had been in jail before; three of the gang of four was promptly sent right back there. I had house insurance as I'm the owner of the house and managed to get the cost of the stolen equipment reimbursed. It might be and good idea from now on to talk to the landlord and organise some form of house insurance, its a one off payment of about €300 a year and well worth it when something does happen.

About three houses have been done over in Meadowbank recently. I've heard there is a van going around the estate from time to time scoping out the place and that when they rob the gear they flog it up in Limerick. So if you know anybody there you might get them to have a look in the local Cash Converters.

As a matter of interest Daredevil are you living in a midterrace house or semi-detached? I always get the impression that robbing a semi-detached would be a lot easier as they can go round the back and have a look in the windows to make sure nobody is at home. With a mid-terrace they would need to go through someone else’s back garden to get to mine which may put them off.

Did they kick in the front door or just put in a window? Sharing information may prevent others from suffering the same faith and maybe a prevention thread for the area can be started. I also understand if you don’t want to give out too many details. When I went to London last year I left my car in the drive and and all curtains closed, I had my mother call over occasionally and leave the odd light on but still was very nervous that something would happen, thankfully it did not.

I would have no problem keeping an eye on a neighbor’s house by the way; I don’t mean a spare key job but a drive by and watching out for anything suspicious every now and again. I might start a thread for the area and if we get a few people interested and keeping an eye out for anything suspicious in the estate we might help catch the scumbags.

Did your Neighbors see anything by the way? I'd better get back to work, if my boss catches me on boards he'll flip but I'll email my house mate and get the more details about the van as he was the one would let me know about it and the gear getting flogged in Limerick. May be of use to you in someway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

deisedevil wrote: »
    Gardai told us to do the same. They said it's amazing how many they have caught who have gone straight in there and handed in stolen items. Chances are we won't find a thing but shur no harm in trying.

Sorry to hear , so much taken too ,its horrible the feeling after bein robbed like this , i too would say cash converters as i see some dodgy caracthers going in and out of their sometimes or e bay online donedeal.ie ect.. all those things keep an eye on them for some of the goods and ye may get some look other than that local knowledge and people informing others if offered it here would be confidential if they do it privately to deisedevil in a message or gardai , any ideas if its local lads doin it , i was told foreign lads at it too with burglarys...did you hear of the taxi man (not irish) out that way gave couple lift into town and went back out to thief their house :( pure scum people breaking into others property....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sorry to hear that too OP, maybe the cash converters in Kilkenny/cork/Wexford might be worth a look too.

Thanks all.

Thanks for that especially Jake!

CSI Waterford were out yesterday. Talk about a waste of space. I know your always told that you should put as much effort into prevention as possible because once it's gone it's almost impossible to get back but I'll tell ya one thing, don't ever think the Gardai are gonna even put in the slightest bit of effort getting your stuff back.

He didn't even want to do anything, he called out, took literally a 30 second look around and said there won't be any evidence. He could see I was starting to get annoyed so he dusted the broken window, found a footprint, said twas useless to take it.

I told him the back window was where they were going in and out, he took a glance at it and said "there's nothing on that anyway" He must have had some super vision technique taught to him in Templemore I suppose.

If he had bothered to look over the window properly he would have seen that the frame was pulled out and that marks of a crowbar are on the wall outside, at least take down everything in bloody detail. He didn't write down a thing, jumped in the van and tore off.

So the sum total of police work done was when the first garda who called out knocked on two neighbours doors and asked if they seen anything. That was it. Not another scrap of effort. Even though the garda yesterday tells me this is the fourth house he has called to in last few months in Meadowbank for a burgalry and that his colleagues have gone out to at least another 2 or 3. So maybe 6-7 break ins in last few months.

I had to go around and start asking the neighbours myself if they had seen anything.

Asked him what else would happen and he told me straight out that we have no hope of getting the stuff back and that even if it was found in a raid somewhere they probably won't be able to manage the task of tracking it back to me and that they have loads of stolen goods and they can't figure out who owns it.

So there you have it, if you are renting in Meadowbank and landlord won't supply an alarm then get out straight away, your next! Talked with a few neighbours who are moving soon. Neighbour closest to me had Alarm company in yesterday. If you own a house there then get an alarm and good house insurance. I'm moving out anyways. Sick of having car and house broken into, little ****s going around throwing stones through windows of other houses. Sick of looking at all the spray paint on walls with "Rats out" and "Ratout scum" (dumbasses getting annoyed that someone got them caught, how dare they like, lol)

Do everything you can to prevent a break in because it's a hard lesson after learning how little effort the Gardai will put in to robberies, they couldn't give a toss, there's too many people out there who need to be punished for breaking a speed limit.

Also if you are going away for any length of time have someone keeping an eye on the house and leave a radio and lights on or do whatever you can to make it look like someone is around. Also don't leave anyone see you packing up the car like I did, had the boot open with suitcases and the like in it, made it right bloody obvious. Gardai said everyone that was robbed was away for a while and came back to house robbed, so there's def someone watching the houses and they said chances are there is someone in the estate doing it.

Also there were travellers at my door a few months back just before car was robbed, Black Land Rover or very similar with blacked out windows, said they were looking for someone who had just moved in somewhere. My neighbour said at the time that he seen one of them in the jeep had a crowbar.

Forgot to add also:

The side toilet window was where they got in, they tried to wedge it open with a crowbar then smashed the window.

Our landlord never gave us keys for the doord inside and after asking over and over we still never got them and as it was just myself and other half we left it.

If we had the keys we would have locked all the doors. If the toilet door was locked they would then have had to break that down and then all the other doors to get to rooms. Theres a good chance they wouldn't bother because it would take too long, too much noise and more chance of being caught.

So lock up your doors before you go out, or you might be regretting it.

There's also two young lads, 14-17 going around, one with foxy hair, usually has a hood up. Seen them banging on a neighbours door before and spitting on his car then shouting racist abuse and running off. Neighbour said they kicked the mirrors off his car before. Some neighbours have said they keep going along walls between houses and have been going into gardens looking in back windows, could be likely that they are checking things out aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jake la motta

I'm surprised at the CSI guys attitude. I never had the need for them myself as there was a lot less taken but the Gardas that called out and took my statement seemed very concerned and helpfull, asking me for details and questions that I hadnt thought off. This was before the estate got as bad as it is nowadays so I suppose the attitude they have is that we are an extension of the overall Ballybeg problem now.

They actually called out two more times not by my request but just to get extra details before the youths went to trial and when I called down to get a pulse ID number for my house insurance claim they were helpful again.

Its like anything Deisedevil, if you lie down and take it there not going to bother themselves. I would be onto them again asking for another visit from someone more experinced or someone that gives a s**t and use those words as you were not satisfied with the service first time around. Your paying tax for this public service and should demand more from them, not a quick fire visit like that.

Talking to my neighbour yesterday evening he told me that a he recognised travellers in a white van driving around the estate very slowly, obviously looking for those houses with signs of life and those without. If it was the travellers its virtually impossible to retrieve anything from them even if you had names and locations as the Gardai are terrified of them.

A mate of a mate was out on the town saturday night two months ago when he was approached by three young traveller girls asking him for a fag. He told them he had none but they wouldnt accept no for an answer. One of the girls produced a blade from her pocket and slashed his face up. He needed a lot of stitches and will be scared for life. The Gardai advised him not to press charges against the travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Deisedevil, sorry for your troubles mate. Dont want to turn this thread into a garda badshing debate but I'll just tell an incindent that happened me about two years ago and the reaction I got from the local "Rapid Response Unit".

I was living in an apartment out the Dunmore Road area. I had just bought a brand new car 3 months previous. One Sunday night was sitting in the front room when I heard a few thuds outside. I looked out and there were two gougers and their girlfriends kicking the crap out of my car - they smashed the side mirror and threw a load of stones and shrubs etc at it.

I ran out after them - while calling MI5 and told them what was after happening - this was at 9.45pm. They said they were on their way.

Anyway I caught the scumbags up the road a small bit and rang the Sweeney again to tell them - the lad on the other end said he'd radio his mates to go there instead - had the boys cornered and basically stayed with them up into Viewmount - still had them about half an hour later rang the Gardai again - "oh yeah we're on the way, what happened again, whats your name.

Eventually the gougers managed to get away so went back to the apartment - rang Templemores finest again - this was about 10.45 - same answer- on the way.

Anyway, at 11.15 they arrive - so I tell them what happened - basically got the same response as Deise - Ah, theres nothing we can do, the rain will have washed off any prints. I told them I could I.D. them- weren't interested. I suggested that I could bring my daughter out to where I knew these lads hung out in a different car and drive past and see if she knew them. They told me I couldn't do that as the scummers could have me up for harassment!!

One of their mobiles went off during all this and it was one their girlfriends phoning so he took the call and let the other fella deal with.

Basically that was the last I heard about it other than a standard letter telling me that they were dealing with it.

Mirror and damage cost me €500 to repair.

So even if you do catch these yolks yourself dont expect too much assistance from our friends in Ballybricken

Your dead right.

Shur we have the car broken into few months back. Two little muppets went at the door with pliers and destroyed it then smashed the window. Neighbour called the guards and they caught them in it. Even though they have them for it we haven't seen a penny for it and we probably won't either according to a guard who came out for a statement nearly a month later. Haven't heard a thing about it since.

So one way or the other, whether they are catch them or don't bother to try and catch them you'll have to fork out yourself.

Next time someone comes near my house or my car I won't care what I do to them if I catch them at it because the only satisfaction you might get from the whole ugly affair is that someone punished them as the justice system won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sadly you would end up in jail before the scumbags. Those bastards get free legal aid whereas you can't as a honest tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

If we had the keys we would have locked all the doors. If the toilet door was locked they would then have had to break that down and then all the other doors to get to rooms. Theres a good chance they wouldn't bother because it would take too long, too much noise and more chance of being caught.

I live in a different part of the city and we were broken into on the May bank holiday last year. We had a similar experience with the Gardaí, we rang them to report the break in and they got someone out to us within the hour. Came in looked around and told us not to touch nothing so they could get prints. We had to ring the credit union and bank to put a stop on various accounts because the mother couldn't touch the bag she kept the books in on the instruction of the guard that called out. It took 6 hours for them to call out to us, despite the fact we are less then a 2 min walk from the station. The guy who called out took one look and said nah we won't be getting prints from this. He took one finger print from the back door where they got in and as he was taking it he said it's pointless that they were probably wearing gloves and this belongs to one of ye. His one piece of advice was to not lock any of your doors, sure it will only cause more damage when they do get in. In a way he was right, cost a lot to replace the door frames broken and locks that were mangled. Thankfully we had insurance though. That was the last we heard from them about the incident, save for a letter 3 months later saying our case was in the infamous Gardai computer system now.

On another note, towards the end of last year our football club was broken into when we were training. A few mobile phones robbed and a few quid taken as well. We rang them to report it at 8pm in the evening (about half an hour after it happened) and they called up to the club the following evening at 5 o'clock. Apparently a burglary is not high on their agenda anymore and when the football manager mentioned this to him all he got was a shrug saying that they were busy the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

A few years ago we were broken into. It's a horrible feeling realising some creep(s) have been through all your personal stuff. When the guard came out, he didn't want to know. His only suggestion was to phone and tell the other couple staying with us who happened to be on holiday. Now why would we want do that and screw up their holliers?

We had our suspcions who did it and about a week later, a friend of ours was offered some of our stolen stuff from the suspect. We contacted the guards and passed on this information. Nothing was done. As another poster suggested, you can't take it lying down. Totally agree.

• Advertisement

witless1 wrote: »
    I live in a different part of the city and we were broken into on the May bank holiday last year. We had a similar experience with the Gardaí, we rang them to report the break in and they got someone out to us within the hour. Came in looked around and told us not to touch nothing so they could get prints. We had to ring the credit union and bank to put a stop on various accounts because the mother couldn't touch the bag she kept the books in on the instruction of the guard that called out. It took 6 hours for them to call out to us, despite the fact we are less then a 2 min walk from the station. The guy who called out took one look and said nah we won't be getting prints from this. He took one finger print from the back door where they got in and as he was taking it he said it's pointless that they were probably wearing gloves and this belongs to one of ye. His one piece of advice was to not lock any of your doors, sure it will only cause more damage when they do get in. In a way he was right, cost a lot to replace the door frames broken and locks that were mangled. Thankfully we had insurance though. That was the last we heard from them about the incident, save for a letter 3 months later saying our case was in the infamous Gardai computer system now.

On another note, towards the end of last year our football club was broken into when we were training. A few mobile phones robbed and a few quid taken as well. We rang them to report it at 8pm in the evening (about half an hour after it happened) and they called up to the club the following evening at 5 o'clock. Apparently a burglary is not high on their agenda anymore and when the football manager mentioned this to him all he got was a shrug saying that they were busy the night before.

That's exactly the same reactions I got from them. It's little wonder theres so many houses being broken into.

If you don't have an alarm on your house and no house insurance then get it quick because the Gardai won't bother to even have a decent look about for prints or ask neighbours or do any of the normal basic police work you think they might do and if they manage to even catch them red handed you can forget about getting any money out of them so you;d better have the house insurance etc.

The message being sent out to thieves is work away, no one will be looking out for you.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Sadly you would end up in jail before the scumbags. Those bastards get free legal aid whereas you can't as a honest tax payer.

I'd claim self defense. My word against theirs. Who's gonna believe the thief. I'd rather do that than watch them head off laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Sounds like there is a need for a www.ratemygarda.ie website to record some of this official disinterest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

bullpost wrote: »
    Sounds like there is a need for a www.ratemygarda.ie website to record some of this official disinterest.

Yeah I wonder how the people over in the Emergency Services forum would feel about this thread.

My own experience with the Gardaí was when a fcuking idiot pulled right out in front of me causing me to swerve and eventually crash into the side of his van. Then he kept driving so I went after him and he eventually pulled over. Called the cops and was told someone would be out. In the mean time your man tells me he had no license.

Paddy wagon arrives and one guard kind of takes the lead. First thing he says is, "Oh you moved from where the accident happened, we'll only be able to take your insurance details and make an official record". I say to him, "Yeah I did move from where the accident happened because the fcuker was driving away so I had to chase him. He was driving away because it was his fault and he has no license. Does none of that matter?"

Seemingly it didn't. I went through the formalities with them and then when I asked for his name he turned to me with a big smart aleck head on him and goes, "I'm Garda O'Dwyer" and off he went. Dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

A mate of a mate was out on the town saturday night two months ago when he was approached by three young traveller girls asking him for a fag. He told them he had none but they wouldnt accept no for an answer. One of the girls produced a blade from her pocket and slashed his face up. He needed a lot of stitches and will be scared for life. The Gardai advised him not to press charges against the travellers.

I found this part of your post very disturbing indeed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

These stories are all too common these days. Travellers and scumbags watching houses, robbing and thieving and the cops turning up when the scene is cold and not making the slightest bit of effort to gather 'evidence'.

I don't know whether they are underfunded, lazy as ****, or both, but they are bloody useless. If there is action, they make sure they're a good hour late. If you ring them again they go through the whole ****ing "what's your name, what is this about..." bull**** again. And they're always on their way.

Basically, middle class people, ie. people who buy houses, only have a veneer of protection from the underworld in this country. Scumbags run riot. And if you take the law into your own hands or go outside the regular channels in any way you're the bad guy. You're the plonker who'll lose his job, kids, cash, reputation, etc., etc. You have everything to lose, they have nothing to lose.

Yep. That's exactly how it is nowadays. Even if they catch someone robbing, bring them to court, they'll only get a slap on the wrist.
    Just the other day I heard of a lad in Dungarvan that has ov er 90 convicitions mostly for robbery getting community service for robbing a garage or power tools. Shur why wouldn't ya go out thieving when theres no risk in it.

Got a letter yesterday from the guard in charge. Said there will be a full investigation and I will be made aware of any developments. This annoyed me more thatn anything. Outright lies. They haven't been investigating anything and they won't be. Shur the second guard to call out told me that there would be nothing else done.

I heard last night from a very reliable source that there were 3 lads caught with stuff that sounds like the stuff I had taken from me on saturday night. I'm going to call the guard today and ask him if it matches up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

That's exactly the same reactions I got from them. It's little wonder theres so many houses being broken into.

I do wonder if it is the same guy that called out to both of ye. If it is then he should be fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 amzyxx

thats disgraceful!! my friends car was stolen in templars hall the other day!! he was sitting in the living room and he looked out and it was gone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

merlante wrote: »
    These stories are all too common these days. Travellers and scumbags watching houses, robbing and thieving and the cops turning up when the scene is cold and not making the slightest bit of effort to gather 'evidence'.

I don't know whether they are underfunded, lazy as ****, or both, but they are bloody useless. If there is action, they make sure they're a good hour late. If you ring them again they go through the whole ****ing "what's your name, what is this about..." bull**** again. And they're always on their way.

Basically, middle class people, ie. people who buy houses, only have a veneer of protection from the underworld in this country. Scumbags run riot. And if you take the law into your own hands or go outside the regular channels in any way you're the bad guy. You're the plonker who'll lose his job, kids, cash, reputation, etc., etc. You have everything to lose, they have nothing to lose.

That is a sad state of affairs.The politicaly correct brigade have ruined this country and i don't care how much people would tarnish my image.If some dirty scumbag bothers me and my family i won't take it lying down.These people are nothing but trash bothering decent law abiding people and they deserve to be treated like trash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement