Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a phobia of "" things going well ""

• 12-04-2010 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

because i fear that if something go's right in my life "" the outcome afterwards will be far worse ""

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if its a formal phoboa, but yes some people fear that excessive happiness now will result in depression / sadness / bad things later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You sound like a firm believer in karma.

I understand what you're saying, if something positive happens, then something negative will come along to balance it out and vice versa. I'm always on the lookout for that. Things that make me happy surely don't come for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

because i fear that if something go's right in my life "" the outcome afterwards will be far worse ""

Thats just called being Irish lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭__plec__

I know exactly what you're on about.

i think it comes from a limiting belief, where one expects things to go wrong.
    So one lives with a certain sense of fear, scanning thoughts etc in order to be prepared for what 'will' go wrong.

The world around us has to be in sync with what you believe, otherwise things wont make sense. So when you are in a habit of expecting things to go wrong, then things going well will only make you feel uncomfortable, bizarre as that sounds. This is because they dont match up with what you believe.

Also, when things are going well, it can feel as if you are overlooking something and so arenot prepared for when things turn bad(to a person who is in the habit of expecting the worst). This can be a scary feeling.

Advertisement