Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stevie Wonder- form an orderly queue!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Maybe after Cat Stevens and Whitney Houston, music fans are wary of being dissapointed by another music legend. Having said that, I'm sure he'll put on a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've seen him live, super show indeed. But the ticket prices hardly make it easily affordable, €100 a pop for decent seats :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Just flicking the TV stations..Stevie Wonder Live at the O2 London starts in few minutes on BBC4 for all you nighthawks having a few weekend bevies;)

Just flicking the TV stations..Stevie Wonder Live at the O2 London starts in few minutes on BBC4 for all you nighthawks having a few weekend bevies;)
    I have the full thing on Blu Ray, worth an impulse buy for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Not long to go now folks.
    Just to get you in the mood....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

just back from the O2.

what a concert! What a man!

Absolutely fantastic concert. Played everything I knew and loved from him and more.

Great tribute to Michael Jackson at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭*DOBBY*

Was at the gig tonight and I have to say was disapointed with the first 45 mins. The later part of the concert got better but I was expecting a bit more. But Stevie is still one of the best artist going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Now that was a gig. Spent the first few songs sitting, wife is 8 months gone, but christ he sure knows how to get people going... absolute legend and an utterly brilliant gig.. even the cheesy hits went down a treat.
    :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Terrific gig, Stevie was in great form, a true legend still at the top of his game.

The end was a bit of an anticlimax, no encore and no-one around me recognised the final song.

Even so, great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Who was the idiot with the "We Love You Stevie" banner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

*DOBBY* wrote: »
    Was at the gig tonight and I have to say was disapointed with the first 45 mins. The later part of the concert got better but I was expecting a bit more.

sorry mate, but im not having that... masterblaster was superb, lovely mention about MJ whose a year dead today as well, up tight ? all in the 1st hour.. it was a great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

exaisle wrote: »
    Who was the idiot with the "We Love You Stevie" banner?

Please tell me you're takin the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

hahaha. either the biggest eegit or the biggest smartarse ever. either way LMFAO...

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

A really great gig.So glad I went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 strongbow2010

What an outstanding gig. I would never claim to be a Stevie Wonder die hard fan but he gave us all a solid two hour's of entertainment tonight. What I found excellent about the whole thing was that there was nothing flashy about the set up on stage. There was no over the top stage props it was basically what you see is what you get and what you got was out of this world. It was all about the music and Stevie delivered it (signed and sealed) in bucket loads. Line of the night "oh I messed up that chord there . . . . I can't see the keys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

(My first post in this section)

Great performance and what an outstanding backing band (10 piece) plus singers.

I was never a big SW fan but he was outstanding.

Downside ? The crowd were very restless. people getting up and going to bar/toilet all night. It's very annoying to have the same people go in and out past you four times in the space of two hours.

And, if I pay nearly €100 for a concert ticket, I don't want to be looking at some how-yah's arse dancing in the seat in front of me. I asked two ladies to sit down and received some load of abuse for my "cheek". Ladies (I'm being polite), if you want to dance, get a standing ticket. (Not that you were any good at dancing!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

what a gig :):):)

we were at the very last row right at the back in front of the stairs, we had brilliant clear view of the stage, got to dance all night without being in anyones way and even had a smoochy dance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Superb Concert . . .

He puts nearly all other artists to shame . .

The first concert I left feeling like I had just seen a true modern genius .

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Brilliant gig! Was right at the front centre stage!! Stevie was exactly how I thought he would be! Saw someone with a setlist after and they promised they would put it up here so I hope they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

sorry mate, but im not having that... masterblaster was superb, lovely mention about MJ whose a year dead today as well, up tight ? all in the 1st hour.. it was a great gig.

Gotta agree with positivenote - I thought Master Blaster really kicked the gig into top gear....loved it from start to finish, the finish was a little subdued - but maybe that was because nobody wanted it to end ????
    could definitely have stood there for another couple of hours listening and enjoying......and would love to see him again.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Good gig. My only gripe being that I paid 80 euro to hear Stevie Wonder sing one of my favorite songs of all time "Living For The City" not 10,000 tone deaf Paddy's. While I dont mind people singing along and do it myself he made no attempt to even bother singing this one at all just prompting the lyrics for the crowd. Still a great nights entertainment and a lot of fun. The man is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

very subdued end to the gig which was a pity because up until then it had been great - seemed a bit odd to bring on the dublin gospel choir and not let them rip - apart from 'i just called to say i love you' that song just does not do his legacy any favours!

first time in the point too and thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ludo_2002

I was a bit disappointed in the gig!! I thought the sound wasn't anywhere near as good as previous gigs there: McCartney, Cohen, Horslips. I thought the percussion drowned out the guitars and brass and I couldn't hear the gospel choir...were they singing?? ...and he didn't play 'Mistra know it all'

ludo_2002 wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed in the gig!! I thought the sound wasn't anywhere near as good as previous gigs there: McCartney, Cohen, Horslips. I thought the percussion drowned out the guitars and brass and I couldn't hear the gospel choir...were they singing?? ...and he didn't play 'Mistra know it all'

I can't really comment on the sound as I was right up the front and no problems there. The gospel choir were singing but not much. I'm guessing the reason he left out Mistra know it all was because it is a controversial song and he was in a celebratory mood. I would have liked to have heard Part Time Lover as it is my favourite of his songs but I'm just happy to have finally has seen him live!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Good gig. My only gripe being that I paid 80 euro to hear Stevie Wonder sing one of my favorite songs of all time "Living For The City" not 10,000 tone deaf Paddy's. While I dont mind people singing along and do it myself he made no attempt to even bother singing this one at all just prompting the lyrics for the crowd. Still a great nights entertainment and a lot of fun. The man is a genius.

I have to say I really enjoyed that bit. I was v near the front and they sounded fine to me, quite low but, in my opinion, echoed Stevie excellently.

I would say that I thought he would use the Gospel choir more and it was hard to hear them & the backing singers. I wasnt surprised that there was no encore considering Stevie has to be helped or walk slowly on & off stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

ludo_2002 wrote: »
    I don't know ludo - I was up the front too, but didn't have any problems with the sound, where were you ????

I could pick out the instruments very easily in the mix from where I was....

didnt see the point in bringing the choir out, they didn't make a sound until maybe the last minute or less of the song........and even then all it was was low backing vocals, don't get me wrong I'm not criticising the choir here - I just don't see the point in bringing them out and not utilising them, I'm sure the idea is to make a powerful ending, but really ended in a whimper......

still didn't spoil my enjoyment......

threw a few clips up on YoiuTube - just do a search for NIBBSDUBLIN, enjoy....

NIBBS wrote: »
    I don't know ludo - I was up the front too, but didn't have any problems with the sound, where were you ????

I could pick out the instruments very easily in the mix from where I was....

didnt see the point in bringing the choir out, they didn't make a sound until maybe the last minute or less of the song........and even then all it was was low backing vocals, don't get me wrong I'm not criticising the choir here - I just don't see the point in bringing them out and not utilising them, I'm sure the idea is to make a powerful ending, but really ended in a whimper......

still didn't spoil my enjoyment......

threw a few clips up on YoiuTube - just do a search for NIBBSDUBLIN, enjoy....

I saw your video's. Very good. I'll be posting a link of my review for the gig shortly and it is all positive!

Very lacklustre gig tbh. Will probably sound better as the tour progresses but seemed like the start was pretty boring and the ending, well, total anti climax.

6/10 for me, didn't hit the high standard Stevie has set for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Really enjoyed it although the i thought the pacing was off. Was hoping he would play much more up tempo numbers and not quite so many ballads but thats a minor enough criticisim. Amazed by how good his voice still is. In fairness, if he was on stage farting in a microphone for two hours i would still think he was a genius :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement