Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career change

Options
  • 12-04-2010 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi
    i am unemployed and would like to become a locksmith does anyone know where i can do the training required in ireland? i have been doing a bit of research on the internet and cant seem to find anywhere, all the courses available seem to take place in england and vary from 2 days to 3 weeks in length and are not cheap.

if anyone has even done one of these courses i would be grateful of some feedback or some advice from a trading locksmith.

thanks..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Mr Locksmith

No training in Ireland but i know of one guy who is going to start locksmith/UPVC window and door repairs training in Ireland in the next 2 to 3 months.
    Rewarding career although it is expensive to get trained and setup cost are high.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm sure you'd quickly cover the cost of your training once you set yourself up in business. Having been unfortunate enough to lock myself out of the house once when my flatmate was on holiday, I can safely say locksmiths must be making an absolute fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mancfrank

thanks for your encouragement much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kevin Ryan

No training in Ireland but i know of one guy who is going to start locksmith/UPVC window and door repairs training in Ireland in the next 2 to 3 months.
    Rewarding career although it is expensive to get trained and setup cost are high.
    Best of luck.
    Hi Mr Locksmith,
    I would like the details of training course. Am based in the Wild West of Ireland.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Will get details for you in the next day or two.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Will get details for you in the next day or two.

Hello Mr Locksmith,
    Any news for me my good man.

PM over your phone # and i will go thru course with you.

This course is now up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

I'm interested in how the course went for you, and your next step.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wanderer81

Hi there,im very interested in doing this course.I'm a qualified mechanic but unemployed at the moment:(any feedback at all would be much appreciated,cheers.

Mulan wrote: »
    I'm interested in how the course went for you, and your next step.

Thanks

Hello Mulan,
    Mr. Locksmith contacted me last week. We had a good chat.
    Apparently there is a course happening in two weeks time.
    He is to come back to me with the details in the next few days. I will let you know how it goes. When all is said and done it is a two day course, not an apprenticeship but I will expect to know more afterwards then I do now....

Courses have started.Take place over a weekend.PM if you have a interest.Only two training at a time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Reecca123

Attented the locksmiths course over the weekend and my brain is fried.So much stuff to learn.Opened all kinds of locks.Programmed a new key into my VW Passat also after a hour trying managed to pick the car open.Took 10 minutes the second time when i had got the feel.
    My main interest was working on uPVC doors when the locks fail or when you have to change out glass or panels so we spent alot of time on this.Did a course in the UK in May but with 8 guys there and 1 trainer it was hard to pick stuff up and it cost me 695 stg for 2 days plus flights.This course had me and a lad from Laois cost us 550 euro each for 2 days and i thought that was good value.Going back in January for 2 days for a one on one session.Email me if you like ethan123@iol.ie if you want info.Stayed in a B&B in Dundalk cost me 40 euro good breakfast full Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pdoc

Best of luck.

Hi
    I'm looking to do a course in locksmithing and have found your post's helpful. I would appreciate any info you have on courses or short training, or if you do training I would be interested.
    Thanks

Hi
    PM on your phone number and i will give you a call.Have a space the end of Jan. Or the second week of Feb.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 masekind

I see the threads on this page about locksmithing is fairly old. Could anyone please tell me if this course is still ongoing and/or whether there are any recognised courses out there? Thanks

Hi
    No recognised courses out there.We do a limited amount of training mainly guys who are already trading and are having a problem in a certain area.Alot of guys head over to England for 5 day training courses.Be careful going down this route as some of the school are a rip off and only want to sell you equipment.Expect to pay from £1200 for the weeks training plus hotel,air fares and car hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 masekind

Thank you for the quick response and your valued input. I am considering doing a course with " http://www.trainlocksmiths.co.uk" not sure if they are any good. Looks like it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

is training course still available?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I'm interested in this too...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

I'd like to know more on this if anyone has info ,feel free to PM .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pamul

Hi mr locksmith are you running the course still

Advertisement