Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting off branch of Cordyline australis or Cabbage Palm?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 4:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have a Cordyline australis or Cabbage Palm in my garden. It was only a few inches high when I planted it, but I put some wonder grow on it and it's a massive tree now. It has one big long trunk but at the top it is sprouting in three areas. I was thinking that it might look more palm like if I cut off one of the sproutings as it's slightly lower than the other two and just having the two higher ones will make it look more palm like. Is it OK to cut off one of the sproutings? If I do, do I have to cover the cut area with anything? I saw once there was something in the shop to protect cut plants but I can't find it in the shops now, or is there something else I could use?

They're quite big branches so I would probably have to saw it off. Would it damage the whole tree? Or should I just leave it growing in different shoots?

I've seen them grow from different stems from the bottom but I'm not sure it looks right as different stems at the top.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

I have a Cordyline australis or Cabbage Palm in my garden.

I'm not an expert and I can't exactly answer your question.
    But if this is still alive your lucky! They seem to be dying everywhere I see them. I had just cut mine down before the hard winter because like you it was too close to my house for it's size. My point is I think your tree would be very sensitive to cold nights and the latter half of this week is set to get cold. Anyway I hope someone in the know fills you in...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I have two palm tree's in my front garden and my dad has a pretty big one. Since the bad frost all three seem to have died..well sort off. The trunk seems fin but all the tops seem to be rotting. I wanted to know if i should just lop the top off and will they grow back . my dad just cut the top off his. There the center peice of my garden and i dont want to get rid of them all together

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hi Amma001 and welcome to boards :)

Many cordylines are dead / dying because of the severe cold during the winter. There is hope yet you can revive them. We recently discussed it here

Advertisement