Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perceived lack of moderation on Liverpool main thread

Options
  • 12-04-2010 6:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I feel the time has come to bring this up. It was while posting on Liverpool gossip thread yesterday that i noticed that all mods and category mods had gone offline on SF.
    Granted there may have been some reason for it but in the meantime, some posters continued to go off topic on a subject.
    I politely asked once what subject had to do with thread. That was ignored and when i asked the question again, poster then told me that back modding was frowned upon and that to either report posts or GTFO.
    It was only when another poster also corrected him on going off topic that this stopped.
    The point being that I have twice now being called on back modding and I don't necessarily think it the issue entirely.
    Im am politely asking and I think there would be one or two who would be favour of this that we be assigned our own mod on what is one of the busiest threads on the boards (683,449 views at the time of making this post)
    Admittedly other posters on SF will say we are getting preferential treatment but I'm blue in the face talking to mods and C mods about problems that crop up time and time again there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

First off, all mods on Boards are volunteers. We greatly appreciate the time and effort they put into modding, but as volunteers they are not obliged to be online 24/7 just in case an issue arises. Secondly, it is possible that some were online, but using invisible mode, just as I am right now. The only people who know for certain whether someone's on or offline are the admins and the actual poster.

Anyway, those issues aside, to address your main points - the other posters were correct, if you had an issue with posts being off-topic then you should have reported them. Backseat modding is frowned upon in just about every forum and can even lead to infractions or bans, so you're best not giving anyone ammunition like that which could be used against you. As regards assigning a mod to a specific thread, well that simply won't be happening for two reasons: 1) it's a waste of valuable mod resources that can be utilised throughout the forum; and 2) if implemented, it wouldn't be long before there were renewed calls for a club-specific forum, seeing as there was already a mod in place. As stated on a number of occasions in the past, club-specific forums are not on the cards any time soon, and it would take a complete overhaul of the soccer forum before they would even be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Zaph wrote: »
    First off, all mods on Boards are volunteers. We greatly appreciate the time and effort they put into modding, but as volunteers they are not obliged to be online 24/7 just in case an issue arises. Secondly, it is possible that some were online, but using invisible mode, just as I am right now. The only people who know for certain whether someone's on or offline are the admins and the actual poster.

Anyway, those issues aside, to address your main points - the other posters were correct, if you had an issue with posts being off-topic then you should have reported them. Backseat modding is frowned upon in just about every forum and can even lead to infractions or bans, so you're best not giving anyone ammunition like that which could be used against you. As regards assigning a mod to a specific thread, well that simply won't be happening for two reasons: 1) it's a waste of valuable mod resources that can be utilised throughout the forum; and 2) if implemented, it wouldn't be long before there were renewed calls for a club-specific forum, seeing as there was already a mod in place. As stated on a number of occasions in the past, club-specific forums are not on the cards any time soon, and it would take a complete overhaul of the soccer forum before they would even be considered.
    Appreciate the reply but one mod has admitted on a feedback thread that that he doesnt read read every page of our forum and in mods own words "has better things to be doing" So there is clearly a problem with the lack of moderationg there
    . Again Im annoyed at this constant accusation of back moodding and its really only happening because of the lack of moderation on that thread which forces other posters to take the action that occurred last night.
    To be balanced most days its okay but when certain posters come on trouble occurs. Last night the topic took a big shift and yet today on another thread when i moved topic slightly away on another thread i was told by a mod in no uncertain terms to go back on topic very quickly. This is what annoys me. The total lack of consistency and discretion employed on that forum.
    And as for reporting posts you need a really good reason to report them and when you do, mods come back with all sorts of stuff like not tagging posts properly and stuff.
    Again Im not convinced by this total overhaul of system. Simply assign maybe three regular postets on Pool thread to be given certain powers.
    So where other mods are tied up, allow them to instruct and advise mods on certain problems.
    Again I post on this forum a lot so am very aware what goes on at this stage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Appreciate the reply but one mod has admitted on a feedback thread that that he doesnt read read every page of our forum and in mods own words "has better things to be doing" So there is clearly a problem with the lack of moderationg there
    . Again Im annoyed at this constant accusation of back moodding and its really only happening because of the lack of moderation on that thread which forces other posters to take the action that occurred last night.

No mod can possibly read every post on every thread in all the forums they mod, this is why we rely so much on people reporting posts. Once they are alerted to a post they will deal with it, so there's really no need for backseat modding. All it does is serve to undermine the mods and irritate other posters, and if anything it's the post of the backseat mod that usually gets reported rather than the post that perhaps should have been. As for lack of moderators, there are currently 6 in the soccer forum, more than enough to deal with things, unless they tell us otherwise.

To be balanced most days its okay but when certain posters come on trouble occurs. Last night the topic took a big shift and yet today on another thread when i moved topic slightly away on another thread i was told by a mod in no uncertain terms to go back on topic very quickly. This is what annoys me. The total lack of consistency and discretion employed on that forum.

That's no different from any forum tbh. A lot depends on whether or not a mod actually saw the discussion or not, and in any case some mods may take a more lenient view of what's on or off-topic than others. That's simply human nature and short of churning out robots to mod the forum it's not something that can ever be eliminated.
    And as for reporting posts you need a really good reason to report them and when you do, mods come back with all sorts of stuff like not tagging posts properly and stuff.

A lot of posts get reported across all the forums on Boards. It doesn't mean action is going to be taken on every single one of them. it's only right that you should need a good reason to report a post, otherwise the system will be abused constantly.
    Again Im not convinced by this total overhaul of system.

There is no overhaul. What I said was that club-specific forums could only ever come about if there was a major overhaul of the soccer forum.
    Simply assign maybe three regular postets on Pool thread to be given certain powers. So where other mods are tied up, allow them to instruct and advise mods on certain problems.

It's not possible to assign powers to a poster for a single thread, they're either a mod or they're not, so this won't be happening.
    Again I post on this forum a lot so am very aware what goes on at this stage.

As are many other posters who don't have an issue with the way things are at present.

Advertisement