Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea Information Please

Options
  • 12-04-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

following on from the really long thread about Loughrea that was started in Feb 2008 which I read last night...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055240101&highlight=loughrea

Can ye give me some up to date information? Having a second viewing of a house in Eden Park this evening.

- What is Eden Park like?
    - Have SuperValu reduced their prices since Aldi opened?
    - What is Loughrea like in general?
    - Called out Saturday during the day for a look around, we have two dogs so we love having the lake for walks/swin etc anything else to do?
    - Anything we need to know?
    - What are the schools like in the area? Dont have kids but if we buy here we may have in the future.:rolleyes:
    - Are there many people from the travelling community living in Loughrea?

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

My advice is rent in the area for a year before committing yourself to a huge outlay. House prices are going down you will save yourself a lot of money plus get to know the area and the estate - if you rent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hi tillygirl

ive been living in eden park for the past few years, its a nice estate, good few familys around it, very handy for a walk to town. they have been doing a lot of tree planting in the green area and at the front, so once they start growing it will look nicer.

loughrea is a nice little town, you have most things you need, plenty of pubs, restaurants, hotel, shops.

and its very handy for the commute to galway via the new motor way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

geem wrote: »
    My advice is rent in the area for a year before committing yourself to a huge outlay. House prices are going down you will save yourself a lot of money plus get to know the area and the estate - if you rent there.

We have been renting for years and are now in the position to buy so we wont be moving again to rent it will be to buy but thanks for your opinion.
    hi tillygirl

ive been living in eden park for the past few years, its a nice estate, good few familys around it, very handy for a walk to town. they have been doing a lot of tree planting in the green area and at the front, so once they start growing it will look nicer.

loughrea is a nice little town, you have most things you need, plenty of pubs, restaurants, hotel, shops.

and its very handy for the commute to galway via the new motor way.

Hi LithiumKid,

Thanks for this, I do like the estate, the house is fab, its one of the detached ones at the front. The viewing went well yesterday so are just waiting on the bank to confirm a few things and hopefully we will be going ahead.

Thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hope it goes well for ye..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Loughrea is a great little town.

It has nearly every amienety you could want.

Aldi v SuperValu, im sure they have probably dropped prices, but more noticably, they have a lot of good deals on, i don;t really pay attention to the day to day stuff.

Loughrea in general is great, the lake is a fantastically underused resource, it has great surrounding countryside., Shops, some great bars, a few really nice restraunts, coffee shops, etc, people are pretty nice in general.
    The only pains are paying for parking in town during the week and no train service
    There is a great playground there for kids of all ages, and plenty of things like funshack, playtown and Turroe Farm.
    Horse riding, fishing, hiking, Portumna park just up the road, so if you like outdoors it is ideal.

Schools have a great reputation, especially the GealScoil.

30 mins to Athlone, 25 minutes to galway, 2 hours to dublin and just over an hour to limerick/shannon, so everything is handy to get to now.

I love it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

paulusdu wrote: »
    The only pains are paying for parking in town during the week
    Who monitors this? I've never seen a warden.

hope it goes well for ye..:)

Thanks we might be neighbours yet!!:p
    Loughrea is a great little town.

It has nearly every amienety you could want.

Aldi v SuperValu, im sure they have probably dropped prices, but more noticably, they have a lot of good deals on, i don;t really pay attention to the day to day stuff.

Loughrea in general is great, the lake is a fantastically underused resource, it has great surrounding countryside., Shops, some great bars, a few really nice restraunts, coffee shops, etc, people are pretty nice in general.
    The only pains are paying for parking in town during the week and no train service
    There is a great playground there for kids of all ages, and plenty of things like funshack, playtown and Turroe Farm.
    Horse riding, fishing, hiking, Portumna park just up the road, so if you like outdoors it is ideal.

Schools have a great reputation, especially the GealScoil.

30 mins to Athlone, 25 minutes to galway, 2 hours to dublin and just over an hour to limerick/shannon, so everything is handy to get to now.

I love it there

Great thanks for that, we made it to Dublin in one hour and 40 from Galway on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

MargeS wrote: »
    Who monitors this? I've never seen a warden.

There is a warden, think they operate under the County Council, but I don't know how often they patrol the town. I have seen parking tickets on cars before...that said, I haven't seen the warden around the place in ages.

I've never seen the wardens but i have seen the tickets slapped on cars :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I've never seen the wardens but i have seen the tickets slapped on cars :-)
    mmm... must start throwing a 20c into the machine again when I run to the post office!!

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the information, our offer has been accepted so its all systems go!

Is there a bin company that have the three bins (waste, recycling & compost)?

I don't think there is currently a company that accepts compost/organic waste. There are at least two working in loughrea and of those two i know they just have 2 bins. Recyclable and normal general waste bin.

We use Barna Waste and i forget the name of the second company.

There may be another one, in fact if you find out there is, i wouldn;t mind switching to one that provided a brown bin, so maybe let us all know.

There may be another one, in fact if you find out there is, i wouldn;t mind switching to one that provided a brown bin, so maybe let us all know.

I have emailed Barna and WERS and am waiting on a reply.

WERS do compost but only in Tuam area (says so on website) so maybe it is on the way.

Will let ye know when I get replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

We joined WERs at the start of the year - theres just the 2 of us and their pay as you use option is working out great. havn't had to top up yet, and reckon I'll get til end of may before needing to. 6 months for the 30 euro sign up (i think it was). not bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwaygal09

I'm putting together a website on loughrea, loughreaonline.com...tis still under construction but will give you an idea of schools/doctors/dentists/clubs/open spaces/things to do etc and is also on Facebook

Congrats on Eden Park, I hear good reports about it and they have a residents association.

I'm putting together a website on loughrea, loughreaonline.com...tis still under construction but will give you an idea of schools/doctors/dentists/clubs/open spaces/things to do etc and is also on Facebook

Congrats on Eden Park, I hear good reports about it and they have a residents association.

Thats great thanks let me know when it is up and running.

Cant wait to move in...dont have much patience!

the site is already live... www.loughreaonline.com with ex amount of information already there...alot more to add to it, but will get there eventually...

re the big move-all good things come to those who wait ;-) best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

Website is ideal...good stuff galwaygal09!
    Any idea if the meet and play basketball is on the go long...can anyone join at any stage.

Tilly congrats on the new house...I'm sure you'll love it in Loughrea- it's got alot going for it! The two dogs will love walking round the lake!
    Moylan's, Teach Beag, Keary's, and Mc Namee's are good pubs

i find supervalu has reduced prices since aldi came...dead handy having them beside each other can go to both. Billy's discount store is great for bits and pieces 2. Two doors down has some great nicely priced shoes.

Best of luck with it all

30lady wrote: »
    Tilly congrats on the new house...I'm sure you'll love it in Loughrea- it's got alot going for it! The two dogs will love walking round the lake!
    Moylan's, Teach Beag, Keary's, and Mc Namee's are good pubs

i find supervalu has reduced prices since aldi came...dead handy having them beside each other can go to both. Billy's discount store is great for bits and pieces 2. Two doors down has some great nicely priced shoes.

Best of luck with it all

Ah thanks! We should be moving the second week in July fingers crossed it will all go well. Ya we have been out at the lake with them a few times and they loved it!

30lady wrote: »
    Website is ideal...good stuff galwaygal09!
    Any idea if the meet and play basketball is on the go long...can anyone join at any stage.

ta 30lady

The Basketball is up and running for about a year i think...its a fun, relaxed meet and play session. Yes anyone can go along and join in at any stage. E2 i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

Thanks so much galwaygal09 will def give it a go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

ta 30lady

The Basketball is up and running for about a year i think...its a fun, relaxed meet and play session. Yes anyone can go along and join in at any stage. E2 i think.

i might give it a go so. :)

Advertisement