Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD Ready

• 12-04-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm looking to byy a LG 47LH3000. It says it's 1080p. Does this mean that it is full hd? It says 1080p HD Ready on the sticker on the TV and on the print out they gave me.

I haven't bought a TV in a while so I am just looking for a bit of clarification as it sometimes say HD ready or full HD.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

The marketing people are constantly changing the goalposts on this one , it used to be the case that so called HD ready screens had less than 1920 x 1080 native resolution and more than 700 vertical lines.

Not any more.

The best way out of this is to forget about the logos and look up the specs on google.

Just get the model number and put it in the google search bar.

Look for the native resolution figure , 1920 x 1080 is the maximum native resolution on most sets and used to be called Full HD.

Anything less like 1366 x 768 , or 1024 x 768 is what used to be called HD ready.

SD content arguably looks better on the lesser resolutions , but the disadvantage of the lesser resolutions is that everything the TV gets must be scaled and if the TV has a poor scaler then nothing will look good.

With a native 1920 x 1080 screen , blu ray can be shown as it exists on the disc. Thats a big advantage , also you have much more screen real estate if you ever hook up a PC.

Content , that is HD movies etc. is available in mostly two formats , either 1280 x 720 ( 720p ) or 1920 x 1080 ( 1080p)

Note that a set with 1920 x 1080 native resolution is capable of displaying some content without any scaling , whereas no screen matches the native resolution of 1280 x 720 content ( except maybe some projectors ) and everything must be scaled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

"HD Ready" is actually a standardised term. In order to have a HD Ready sticker, the TV must display at least 720 native resoltuon and it must accept 720p and 1080i signals. It must also have a HDMI connection

"HD Ready 1080p" means that is has a minimum native resolution 1080 and it accepts and displays 1080p with 1:1 pixel mapping. It must also have a HDMI connection.

"Full HD" is a marketing term of no real value.

Picture-wise, there is little visible difference between 720 and 1080 in normal-sized TV's (<50") and other issues (image processor, black level, colour accuracy etc.) probably more important, especially for SD content.

I would make sure that a "HD Ready" the TV accepts a 1080p signal and shows it @ 720p if you intend to use a blu-ray player/PS3.

Check out reviews on hdtvtest.co.uk and avforums.co.uk before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I checked out a few reviews of the aforementioned TV and subsequently bought it today. :)

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Post a review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Will do. Still at work. Will be using it a fair bit over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

I've looked at the avforums and the threads here, but still very confusing. I see a lot of votes for the Panasonic G10 though. I might just go with that and save a bag full of research time.

Advertisement