Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is a better pet - cat or dog?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

What do you think?
    I have a dog and therefore of course I think that dogs are simply the best :)
    but my husband tries to talk mi into a cat. I would gladly take another dog, but cats don't seem...friendly, and, what is more, I am not sure if the pets would like each other... On the other hand, I've read an interesting artcile comparing cats and dogs, and it seems that cats have lots of advantages and in general it's easier to take care of them (http://www.petlvr.com/blog/2010/03/cats-or-dogs-that-is-the-question/). Any comments from cat owners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dogs need attention all the time, cats only need attention when it suits them :D

You can't leave a dog for the weekend to fend for themselves but you can with a cat once they have enough food and litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I've always been a dog person, but got my partner a kitten for Christmas- I'm now converted! So much so that we're adding another kitten to our family in two weeks!!!
    The kitten we have now (Bear!), is so playful and cute and mad for cuddles! He loves to jump and climb and finds fun in the most peculiar things- he could get hours of fun from a sweet wrapper or an empty toilet roll tube. Because he is so small (in comparison to a dog), the trail of destruction he leaves behind him is minor compared to what dogs get up to. Cats don;t mind being left alone either. Bear is pretty safe to leave in the house all day by himself if we have to. Any dogs we ever had would have to be left in the garden, and they'd wreck it out of boredom.

Cats= 1, Dogs = 0!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tylerJ

Thanks for feedback. And was it easy to train your Bear to use the litter box? Does he know his name when you call him?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tylerJ wrote: »
    but cats don't seem...friendly
    Cats in general appear aloof and disinterested to an outside observer and as such if you've never had a cat or spent significant time with one, you'll get the impression that they don't "do" anything other than sleep and wander around.

Cats actually do make good companions even if they are very independent and you can get hours of entertainment out of them.

It's very difficult to do a dogs -v- cats comparison because you may as well be comparing donkeys with dolphins, and there's no such thing as a "dog person" or a "cat person", they're just people who've never had a cat or dog so don't know what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

Dog's are best - next question :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

was it easy to train your Bear to use the litter box? Does he know his name when you call him?

My friends cats use the toilet. The actual toilet, it's crazy. You can train them over a few weeks using the Litter Quitter. It's amazing. They don't flush though, the smelly animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Contrary to what is general opinion, cats are actually quite loyal and friendly (but obviously not in the hero worship way dogs are). We had a lovely cat for 11 years and it would always come running up to me whenever I got back from school and at weekends back from college. If anyone strange called round it would saunter off warily.

You can't beat a couple of kittens for pure madcap hilarity :D I will say though that I'd see cats as more of an outdoors pet. I can never understand people who keep them locked away inside. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Dogs suck !! and should all be put down cos they are vicious and they bite young kids and defenceless old ladies ;)

You have to own a cat before you know how loving they are. The only thing you can’t do is bring them for walks :( other than that, I spend hours playing with Moo in the garden , in the house playing hide a seek, chasing, looking at tv with her on my lap etc.

And of course they know their name, She could be 15 houses away from me and I would call her name, next you will see a head popping up to make sure it is me and then she runs as fast as she can to meet me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

gaz wac wrote: »
    You have to own a cat before you know how loving they are. The only thing you can’t do is bring them for walks :(

I have a little harness for my cat and take her walking all the time :)

3818535177_f601ba255c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Maybe you should turn that skill into a profession ;)

• Advertisement

Dogs suck !! and should all be put down cos they are vicious and they bite young kids and defenceless old ladies ;)

You have to own a cat before you know how loving they are.

ooo that's fighting talk where i come from - luckily for you i've moved

so would a cat lay down it's life to protect you? ever heard of burgalars staying away from a house cos there's a cat living there? can a cat lick your face without ripping the skin off? can a cat safe peoples lifes lost in the wilderness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

3818535177_f601ba255c.jpg

I bet you get some stares from passers by when walking your cat down on the Prom....I'd say you'd get some attention from the amount of dogs walking down there too!

I dunno, I've a soft spot for cats really. I think it takes cats a very long time to get used to people, and many I've come across certainly don't like anybody except their owners. This may be why people think cats are unfriendly. But, if you raise a cat from a kitten, you'll be converted!

PaulB91 wrote: »
    can a cat lick your face without ripping the skin off?

how do you think she wakes me at 4.30am every morning so she can go out to go to the loo :D

how do you think she wakes me at 4.30am every morning so she can go out to go to the loo :D

i thought cats tongues where rough from the memory of having one 20 years ago?

ahh your just a girl ;) you get used to it !!

:p:p
    ahh your just a girl ;) you get used to it !!

i have to look after my skin you know, daily cleanse, tone and moisturize, could never have anything as rough as a cats tongue on it :D

** must resist pus*sy on face joke **...resist it Wac...RESIST !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

cats are better.

ever heard of a cat doing this
    Farmer Saved by Dog's Amazing 2 km Run

link
    An Austrian farmer's life was saved
    by this clever pooch, "Tschibsi", who ran 2 km, found help and returned with a rescue helicopter. I don't think Lassie ever managed to do that. tschibisi2.jpg(Photo: StavangerAvisen.com)

According to the authorities, Tschibsi ran almost 2 km (1¼ miles) to intercept the man's wife on her way into town riding a bicycle. By barking, yelping and whining, the dog communicated to the woman that something was horribly amiss. She followed Tschibsi back to the farm, found what had happened and telephoned rescuers.

dogs win

ill see your Oz dog and raise you a OZ cat :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6216663.stm

• Advertisement

would a domestic cat do this?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/04/boy.cougar.attack/index.html
    One lucky boy in Canada can say without a doubt that he has his own personal guardian angel -- not of the spiritual kind, but of the furry.
    On Saturday an 18-month old golden retriever saved her owner from being attacked by a cougar while in the backyard of their home in Boston Bar, British Columbia, about 130 miles north of Vancouver.
    The dog -- named Angel -- leaped into action and threw herself between her owner, 11-year-old Austin Forman, and the cougar that was charging at him.
    Sherri Forman, Austin's mother, said her son was outside with Angel around 5:30 p.m. gathering firewood from their backyard. She explained that Angel normally runs around and plays when she is outside, but on this afternoon she was behaving differently.
    "He had come in at one point to tell me how cute Angel was being because she was sticking pretty close to him in the yard, which was unusual for her," Forman told CNN.
    In hindsight she realizes that Angel was protecting her son from an unseen danger.
    When the cougar charged, Angel ran to protect the boy.

"She intercepted the cougar," Forman said. "Austin came into the house very upset, and I had to get him to calm down so I could understand what he was saying. Finally he said 'there's a cougar eating Angel.'"
    Angel and the cougar fought under the family's deck, while Austin's mother called 911 for help. A constable was in the area and able to make it to their home and kill the cougar quickly.

story.angel.ctv.jpg
    Austin Forman, left, was saved from a cougar attack by his 18-month old golden retriever, Angel.

ill see your Oz dog and raise you a OZ cat :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6216663.stm

pa - my dog was Austrian not Austalian, i see your cat and raise you a retriever

try this one without welling a tear
    PORT TAMPA, Fla. — Yolanda Segovia heard a knock on her door one morning, just before 8 a.m.
    Her neighbor was on the porch, with a dog and a story.
    Stacey Savige had found the little dog in front of an elementary school. He wasn't very big, looked like some sort of terrier. Burrs clung to his belly. His honey fur was caked in mud.
    He didn't have a collar. Stacey had taken him to the vet and he didn't have a chip, either.
    Now Stacey had to go to work. Could Yolanda keep him?
    Yolanda is 47. She's a divorced mom with two boys. In recent years she has survived breast cancer and cervical cancer, lost her dark hair and eyelashes to chemo. A hairdresser, she hasn't worked since 2006.
    "You can leave the dog here," Yolanda told Stacey. "But just for today."
    They took photos of the dog and made a FOUND flier. Stacey ran off 4,000 color copies. She and Yolanda stuffed mailboxes, put ads on Craigslist.
    Yolanda took her boys to the dollar store and bought a collar, leash, ball and brown bed. Her 10-year-old, Azaiah, decided to call the dog RaeLee, pronounced "Riley." He said he had heard it on TV. All afternoon, he walked the dog, threw the ball, laughed while the dog licked his face.
    "Don't fall in love with him," Yolanda kept warning.
    Her elder son, Christian, 21, watched through the window. Christian has Down syndrome and an array of other ailments. He has had heart surgery, a kidney transplant. He can't speak or bathe himself.
    That night, when the boys climbed into their bunk beds, the dog dragged his new bed from Yolanda's living room, down the long hall, into their room.
    ——
    Four days later, they still had the dog. He was starting to answer to his new name.
    He loved roughhousing with Azaiah, knew to be gentle with Christian. He almost never barked.
    On Saturday, Azaiah went to his dad's house. Christian retreated to his room to watch a Barney video. The dog dozed beside him.
    Yolanda had just stepped onto her porch to water the plants when the dog flung himself into the screen door, barking madly.
    As she opened the door, the dog sprinted across the living room, into the boys' room.
    Yolanda screamed. Christian was slumped over, his body writhing in a seizure, blood streaming from his nose and mouth.
    The dog ran to the boy, still yelping. But as soon as Yolanda bent to cradle her son, the dog went silent.
    "If he hadn't come to get me," Yolanda told Stacey later, "the neurologist said Christian would have choked on his own blood and died."
    Since no one had claimed the dog, Yolanda decided to keep him.
    ——
    Stacey got a call the next morning. A man named Randy had recognized his lost dog and called the number on the flier.
    Stacey sobbed. She had been working so hard to find the dog's owner. Now that he had found her, everything seemed wrong.
    She quizzed the man to make sure the dog was really his: Is the dog fixed? What tricks does he do? The man answered things only an owner could. His name is Odie, the man said.
    Randy Cliff, 34, is an unemployed plumber who lives six blocks from Yolanda with his wife, their four children and infant granddaughter. He said he had been searching for Odie for more than a week.
    Stacey told him, "That dog saved my friend's son."
    ———
    When the van pulled up outside Yolanda's house, the dog raced out and jumped into Randy's arms. Randy buried his face in his dog's soft fur.
    Azaiah stood on the porch, crying. "We're going to miss you," he called.
    As Randy remembers it, he looked at the boy. He saw Christian's frightened face in the window. "Is that your brother?" he asked. Azaiah nodded.
    Randy set the dog by Azaiah's feet.
    "Maybe Odie was supposed to find you," Randy said. "Maybe you should keep him."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538724,00.html

1_61_320_LostDog.jpg

meh, you hear one dog story, you've heard them all !! poll needed tbh, but on a quick count...cats winning :D

na dogs winning - just all the dog owners are out walking/playing with their dogs while the cat owners are all lonely huddled round their laptops wondering when their cat will grace them with a visit for food or water :D:D

just found this which is quite funny original here - had to edit some of the words
    1. Dogs you can take for walk. (gives you exercise and plus ladies like guys with dogs).. Cats don't do much besides snooping up on you.. Scores- Dog ->1 Cat->0

2. Dogs **** outside so you house doesn't smell like a dog's ass when you open the door.. On the other hand, when you have two cats who **** all day long without doing anything all day.. when you enter you house..it SMELLS LIKE CAT'S ASS... this is not the smell I want to come home too. Scores- Dog ->2 Cat->0

3. Dogs are waiting by the door to show love for their owner.. soon as the owner walks in the door. That's love.. Two cats I live with don't give a flying **** when you come home. Cats SUCK. Scores- Dog ->3 Cat->0

4. Cats really don't obey anything you tell him to do... he don't give a ****.. he'll do whatever the **** he wants.. dog is different.. you can command a dog to sit and he will sits.. fetch something to a dog, it will go grab it. It listens to you because it's a smarter animal.. (I know this might upset a lot "cat peoples" but you can surely agree that cats don't ever listen to their owners, they do whatever the **** they want... Note myself: Move out SOON) Scores- Dog ->4 Cat->0

5. Did I mention cat's is indoor animal and it ****s inside the house in a plastic container that's open... ohh I did.. (wait this may be due to my fat pig of a room-mate not changing the litter box... ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG)
    Scores- Dog -> 5 Cat->0 Fat Pig room-mate -> -2
    a. (on the side note.. I showed this Ubersite to a guy in the next cube over and he is like... there are some angry people on that site. Surly I am one of them)

6. You can't play with cats.. you can play with dogs.. big nice dog like Damien(my friend's boxer) you can play with when you are bored in your house. Scores- Dog ->6 Cat->0 and fat pig of a room-mate -> -500

So dogs win.. cats lose.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34746139
    In war of dogs vs. cats, the winner is clear

AP poll finds that 74 percent of people like dogs, while 41 percent like cats

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34746139#ixzz0kth3Eoda

1. cant walk a cat? see Honerbrights post
    2. My cat moo goes to the toilet outside, own little patch
    3. dont wait for you at the door? Moo knows the sound of my engine when i come home so she runs to the back door and waits for me ( we used to have a sliding door but she still waits on the wrong place, so i hit her eveytime i open the door :D)
    4. If i call Moo, she will come running to me and will brush up while she is getting a belly rub
    5. ehh same as number 2, yer man is running out of points
    6. I play hide and seek and chasing with her..he used to even play fetch with a rolled up ball of foil !!

dogs eat their on poo, nuff said :eek:

/thread

i can tell you one thing for sure, cat's are not that clever - too be honest i used to think they where, that was before i started walking four large dogs all of whom would like nothing more than to get eye to eye with a cat, there is one particular piece to my route where there are lots of cats, the dogs know it and are desperate to get to them (don't worry they are all on leads and not aloud anywhere near the cats) anyway one night i was walking down the road, country road, only slightly wider than single width, houses and gardens both sides we saw four cats one after the other, first one saw us coming and went under a car, second one saw us and ran across our path rather than opposite direction, third one walked towards us, stopped, and sprinted away last one lost one of his nine lives as he decided to just duck his head in the bush, two of my dogs went towards him at pace and if it wasn't for me they would have had him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/3563509/Wet-paws-alert-cat-owners-to-blaze
    A cat has saved a Central Otago couple who were within a whisker of being engulfed by a "raging inferno".
    Maceo the cat woke his Arrowtown owners at 3am on Wednesday by wetting his paws in the toilet bowl and walking on their faces.
    Kate Gatonyi and partner Bevan Garland awoke to find a fire just three metres from their bedroom window.
    A neighbour's shed had caught fire and the flames were spreading to the couple's garage and gas bottles.
    Gatonyi said Maceo often played with water but had never put his feet in the toilet bowl.
    He usually just meowed if he wanted to get attention at night, she said.
    "The cat was putting his paws in the toilet bowl and then walking over our faces. He did it about three times. I was thinking, `Why is he doing that?' That is what woke me up," she said.
    "I looked out the side of my eye and thought, `What is all that colour out there?' I opened up my blinds and there was a raging inferno.
    "It had nearly got to my fence. The neighbour next door was wetting our fence, but it would have gone to the garage, the car, the gas bottles and our bedroom. It was quite scary."
    Gatonyi praised the cat's alarm-raising brilliance and said he would be rewarded.
    "He's a hero in my world," she said. "I think he was fantastic.
    "He is going to get a lot of biscuits."

Advertisement