Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is a better pet - cat or dog?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I love them both, but prefer cats :D

Dogs are lovely, they're really lovely, but can be annoying because (well mine anyway) are silly, they need watching all the time to make sure they're not causing trouble, they need much more work (cleaning up after, grooming, walks) and they bark, etc. But they are lovely . . .

Cats are still cuddly, loving, affectionate, and they are easier to look after. Once they grow out of the kitten stage then they're not annoying. They're cleaner and neater, easier to have in the house. And I think they are smarter and have a more complex personality which makes them more interesting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

cats stink and they dont do anything!!! would a cat save a man from a bull?? i dont thinkso some how!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9CtnF5grM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would not recognise my cats from some of the things written here about cats..

When I came to Ireland, I brought the last 3 of my Siamese with me.

When I went across fields for a walk, the three of them would follow me. We used to walk miles like that... When twin orphan lambs were added to the family, they joined the line.. as did the hen we took in.

My present 2 cats are rescues; and are utterly affectionate and loyal. And clean.

I now have two dogs; love them dearly but they are totally different and at the end of the day it is still a relief to get back to the cats.

Dogs are more restless than cats.

Just....different is all. Too different to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Earth Traveller

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

It's like I am a mere peasant residing in my cat's kingdom.

In fairness though, both my cats run to meet me & the OH at the door when we get home, they make good hot water bottles at night & they always come & cheer me up if I'm upset over something. It's so weird, they get uber affectionate if I'm having a cry over something. Very sweet.

My house does not smell like a cat's ass thank you very much, I clean the trays!

At the end of the day an animal will give back as much affection as you give it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

cats stink

LOL, how do cats stink? Cat's don't smell at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

I've always been a cat person and now I have a puppy. Cats are far less work, thats for sure. I'm still waiting to see this whole Loyality and intelligence from my pup, but so far my old cat wins hands down. I still adore my pup, its just cats are more independent and easier, and cleaner and less smelly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Seriously, comparing cats and dogs is ridiculous. They are so different, and the only reason they are compared is becase they are the two most popualr pets. However in the interest of staying on topic ;)

From my point of view, dogs are far superior for what I want from a pet. I want a pet that is a complete companion, I can play with, take for a walk and that I can train. Also trotting out the usual arguments here, but dogs save lives, help blind people lead more "normal" lives, help autistic children, find drugs, police, find explosives etc etc etc etc

For some people dogs are too much work, time and money - so they get a cat. :p I think Cats could be easier compared to say...Rabbits. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

Noopti wrote: »
    For some people dogs are too much work, time and money - so they get a cat. :p I think Cats could be easier compared to say...Rabbits. ;)

or goldfish ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

My problem with Cats is that their owners seem to think it is acceptable to allow the little f*ckers to roam wherever they want. I have a dog, and have no problem picking up its doings, but I don't want to have to clean up cat droppings from my front garden, or to listen to my dog go nuts barking trying to get to the cat that thinks its funny to sit on top of the wall where the dog can't get her.
    If people allowed dogs to roam as cats are allowed to, people would be up in arms about it, but yet it is acceptable for cat owners to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Dacelonid wrote: »
    My problem with Cats is that their owners seem to think it is acceptable to allow the little f*ckers to roam wherever they want. I have a dog, and have no problem picking up its doings, but I don't want to have to clean up cat droppings from my front garden, or to listen to my dog go nuts barking trying to get to the cat that thinks its funny to sit on top of the wall where the dog can't get her.
    If people allowed dogs to roam as cats are allowed to, people would be up in arms about it, but yet it is acceptable for cat owners to do it.

We've had 3 dogs in my lifetime, granted 1 I don't remember but my dog use to wander the streets of Tallaght. Everyone knew and loved him. Met him around the place all the time.

The dog I am too young to remember use to leave the house everyday at 2:25 to meet my sisters after school. Dog's can wander around until some uppity person with a fear of dogs calls in the warden. (Granted, said dog use to also drink everyones milk :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah I know it's annoying Dacelonid but it's just a lighthearted thread,

I love love love my dog. Anybody here who takes any bit of notice of me on the forum here knows that. But I'm definately a cat person. I have realised that more than ever since getting my dog.

The cats like me for me. They don't need me. They are with me because I am their family, even though they know there is probably better places out there. :D

I like that they are more independent, and act more like an equal.

So who would you prefer to come home to in the evening;

"you're so great, AMAZING, I love you, isn't this a great day, lets play games, wow this is so much fun, chase me, look at me, what did you do today, did you miss meeeee, I missed you, rub my belly!"

or

"Hey, how was your day, here's a hug"

So who would you prefer to come home to in the evening;

"you're so great, AMAZING, I love you, isn't this a great day, lets play games, wow this is so much fun, chase me, look at me, what did you do today, did you miss meeeee, I missed you, rub my belly!"

or

"Hey, how was your day, here's a hug"

isn't it more like

or

"where's my dinner, i brought you a dead mouse in exchange for tinned food"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Dacelonid wrote: »
    or to listen to my dog go nuts barking trying to get to the cat that thinks its funny to sit on top of the wall where the dog can't get her.

:D great mental picture in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tootle wrote: »
    I've always been a cat person and now I have a puppy. Cats are far less work, thats for sure. I'm still waiting to see this whole Loyality and intelligence from my pup, but so far my old cat wins hands down. I still adore my pup, its just cats are more independent and easier, and cleaner and less smelly :D

+1
    We're the same - a 9 month old puppy and a cat for 6 years before him. Puppies are dumb compared to kittens! :D And the MESS - he takes a drink and the water is still dripping out of his mouth 5 mins later - the cat would never let himself get in such a state lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

hi, i love both and really they're very different creatures. When i was growing up we always had dogs, and my dad bred jack russells for a time, they're great dogs. I know a lot of people really hate cats, and to be honest before I got a cat I used to think dogs were better.
    But now i'm converted, my cat has just got so much personality, he's very funny - I'm convinced he actually has a sense of humor, and because you have to essentially earn his affection to me it's worth more.
    there's a quote from meet the parents which holds true
    See, Greg, if you yell at a dog, his ears will go down and his tail will cover his genitals even if he's done nothing wrong. It's very easy to break a dog. But cats make you work for their affection. Cats don't sell out like dogs do.

also dogs make the house stink in my opinion, my cat poops in the same spot in the back garden and buries it. Dogs stink of piss. Any dog owner who denies this has just gotten used to it. My brother has a jack russell and its the first thing you smell when walking in the door of his house - dog piss. Cats are cleaner.

and one more thing - he's super cute, we were packing for going away for a weekend and left the suitcase in the kitchen, Mister Cat fell asleep in the clothes :D
    2uhv49h.jpg

^^^^

reminds me of this

funny-pictures-cat-is-ready-for-adventure.jpg

The cats like me for me my food. They don't need me. They are with me because I am their family feed them, even though they know there is probably better places out there if someone else feeds them that they will choose them as their new food overlord to pretend to love . :D

Fixed.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

PaulB91 wrote: »
    isn't it more like

or

"where's my dinner, i brought you a dead mouse in exchange for tinned food"

I would be willing to bet you have never owned a cat. People who think cats are like this, usually don't know one. I feel like my kitties love me more than my dog does. The dog will run to anybody, lick anybody, do his tricks for anybody. The cats, they hate everyone but me. :D

Also cats are smart enough to pretend not to understand when you try to train them.

EDITED TO SAY: Noopti - stop being mean. :( Say which you like more but don't question a cats love for their slave owner

cats are evil dogs are good - it's simple dogs want to please you cats want you to please them

• Advertisement

I would be willing to bet you have never owned a cat. People who think cats are like this, usually don't know one. I feel like my kitties love me more than my dog does. The dog will run to anybody, lick anybody, do his tricks for anybody. The cats, they hate everyone but me. :D

Also cats are smart enough to pretend not to understand when you try to train them.

EDITED TO SAY: Noopti - stop being mean. :( Say which you like more but don't question a cats love for their slave owner

so true Helena, dogs are affection whores who'll lick anyone who shows them any attention.

wrong, had one for about ten years as a kid, Charlie, black and white fella, huge he was - still i prefered my dog Bonnie, they did on occasion lie down next to each other, more often than not Charlie would hide behinf the curtain and swoop out his paw to scratch Bonnie's nose, she'd go beserk, chase would enue, charlie would end up on his back with Bonnie pinning him down by his neck - she never ever broke his skin though even if she was bleeding from his strike - you see that you know cats are bad and dogs kick their butts

bad2dabone wrote: »
    so true Helena, dogs are affection whores who'll lick anyone who shows them any attention.

i'll give you a tenner to walk into my back yard when the dogs are there and "give them affection" :D:D:D

I think a lot of people don't like cats because they have sort of expressionless faces......emotionless.

Plus dogs have formed a multi-facted symbiotic relationship with man for thousands of years. They offer us much more than being a simple pet. That is why I think cats are more like rabbits, they offer that "You feed me & show me affection, and I love you back" relationship.
    Dogs offer that, but they also offer dozens of other relationships with humans, from protection to helping the disabled.

That's why if we just comparing them as pets like in this thread, then it just comes down to opinion of course. But if we compare them as pets/workers/companions through the ages - there is only one winner.

PaulB91 wrote: »
    ah now, this is a fun thread for a bit of banter

fair enough but cats aren't the evil fiends you portray them to be :)

bad2dabone wrote: »

I have walked into plenty of homes with cats and the first thing it will do is rub up against my leg looking for attention. Or jump on my lap and start that clawing thing.....

I have also walked into plenty of homes with dogs and the dog will just sit in its bed looking at me.

there is only one winner.

yea..CATS :D paul...wanna count up the scores there ?

• Advertisement

Dogs offer that, but they also offer dozens of other relationships with humans, from protection to helping the disabled.

that's true, GuideCats would be a disaster.

Advertisement