Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is a better pet - cat or dog?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

bad2dabone wrote: »
    fair enough but cats aren't the evil fiends you portray them to be :)

Ok, can we link to people who have been mauled by their "pet" tigers/lions etc?
    The only reason there are no house cat mauls owner stores is that cats couldn't maul it's owner.

Lets keep this thread nice and light hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Noopti wrote: »
    I think a lot of people don't like cats because they have sort of expressionless faces......emotionless.
    you see, this is something my OH says to me all the time (he prefers the dog). But Honestly, I can read the expression in my cats. When they are happy, suprised face is hilarious, lovey dovey, angry, dozy after a nap. Their faces have every bit as much expression as a dogs, it is just a bit more subtle.

All you dog owners with your dangerous monsters calling MY cats evil. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

DOG of course :D

A dog will love you with alll his heart
    ive never reallly liked cats i find them sneaky and emotionless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Yep i absolutely despise cats. Sneaky devious foul little things. Dogs are the best pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have to say that I'm disgusted at the dismissive and sometimes downright hateful attitude towards some animals that is displayed here. Especially so as it is coming from self-professed "animal lovers".

How could anyone absolutely love a dog and hate a cat with equal measure (or vice versa)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

DOGS! without a doubt they are brilliant.

I love kittens but not to much cats thats why I dont have one. The dogs might not like it either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would you prefer a pet stupid enough to DIE rather than at your remains, or one smart enough to know that life must go on. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Would you prefer a pet stupid enough to DIE rather than at your remains, or one smart enough to know that life must go on. :D

The first one lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I definitely prefer cats, and they absolutely reflect the time you put into them.

I have some pretty excellent cats, if I say so myself. They come when they're called, are hugely affectionate and two in particular play fetch. One sits on command (for a treat - he is still a cat). They greet me when I come home and give me cuddles on the couch in the evening.

I don't allow them to roam the streets, but I've taken to walking them twice a day - I take them out in my yard in the mornings and evenings, and play games with them (chasing and fetch). I usually end up getting a coffee and sitting watching them for half an hour more as they continue to play chasing and hide and seek with each other. Then I bring them back in and give them some treats for coming in when they're called, and we all settle in to watch telly on the couch for the evening.

I figured, responsible dog owners walk their dogs twice a day, why shouldn't I do the same with my cats? I'm amazed by how incredibly well they've responded to the routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Much depends on the cat and on how they are treated.

If they are seen as next thing to vermin.. they will react accordingly.

Our two were hand raised from tiny kittens; they are utterly affectionate. As much so as dogs.

When I get in. one is often hanging over the porch even before I can get the door open to let the dogs out.

Totally unlike the strays and neighbouring cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

In regard to the smell issue, I really think dog owners can't smell the "dog smell" anymore. Whenever I visit someone with a dog, it may have been groomed or bathed the week before but there is still that funny wet dog smell. When you give them a rub then your hand feels a bit greasy & smells like wet dog. I have to keep washing my hands on the sly. Mind you if I had a dog I'd probably get used to it too & wouldn't give a monkey's.

Cats are just too cool, that's why they lounge about looking aloof & sometimes dismissive. They are like the teenagers of the pet world & are embarrassed by their "parents".

Advertisement