Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Bins in Allihies, Beara Peninsula

Options
  • 12-04-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Just back from a couple of days on the Beara Peninsula and was disgusted to see that the Recycling Bins have not been emptied since the last time I was there ( a couple of months ago ) and they were full then.
    This is a great advert for the area, considering it is a tourist spot and people come from all over the world. What impression are they getting??
    Seemas to me that "Recycling" is mearly the inword for politicians of all irk. I've written to Cork County Council complaining. Let's see if I even get an answer??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

They changed the labels a couple of months back. Are you sure your's are up to date? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 springwell7616

Yep sure am. I went over on Sunday 11th April 2010 to the village recycling bins on the right handisde just before you go in to Allihies coming from Lehanmore to deposit some tins and bottles. They were jam packed full and have been since the last time I was down. I go down there on average at least twice a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We had the same problem near where I live. We found that actually phoning the council rather than writing in got the job done quicker. (The same afternoon in the last case).

We found that letters ended up on somones desk waiting for a someone to read them but you got to deal directly with who was in charge on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Oh sorry, my mistake. I thought you were talking about private recycling bins. A phone call to the council offices in Castletownbere should be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

They certainly were not jammed full.I put mine in and while the bins were fairly full they were far from jam packed. Remember less than 200 people live in the area. As the previous poster said A phone call to the council will sort it.

• Advertisement

You don't get the idea at all. Why do the locals put up with this ****. Why should a visitor need to phone up and tell the local council that the bins are full, why don't the locals do it?
    Afterall, some of them benefit from visitors coming to the area and spending money.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

why don't the locals do it?
    Afterall, some of them benefit from visitors coming to the area and spending money.

I presume like 99% of the Visitors who come to the area you also bring your own wine and beer from your local Aldi ,Tesco Lidl etc
    Did you ever think of bringing your s*** home with you as well

For your information, whenever I visit the area, which is regularly, I buy all my groceries and rum and coke in Supervalue, Castletownbere as well as John T O'Sullivans in Allihies.

I do take my ****e home with me since the lazy feckers in the council won't empty the recycling bins! Why have recycling bins if they are not going to be emtied regularly. The area is a tourist spot afterall. Do you want to give the tourists the impression that the place is a ****e hole??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Not sure where your from Springwell but as far as I can see rubbish/recycling is a huge problem all over the country. Charging admission to the recycling centers was a very bad idea. Having a go a the locals is a great community activity shoul make you very welcome.

If something is wrong then keeping quiet wont about it solve the problem. If I upset a few locals so what. I as a visitor shouldn't have had to make this complaint in the first place.
    The powers to be want us to recycle as much as possible. They provide a range of bins for that purpose and the local authority responsible person doesn't ensure that they are emptied when they are full.
    Aren't we all paying enough. If I wasn't doing my job I'd soon be on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Too right. I know some people there. I'll see if I can get them to do something about it. It's no good being a tourist spot if they can't be bothered to even empty their bins!

Advertisement