Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road bike cleaning/maintenance

• 12-04-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Good morning all,

Anyone know of any good websites that go through cleaning all parts of a road bike as well as the chain?

Also, anyone own or has any opinion on "Road Bike Maintenance" by Guy Andrews?

Any insight will be gratefully received...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I have that book by Guy Andrews - have found it very good, well illustrated, step by step, hard to go wrong if you follow it. Like the fact that it's ring bound and can be opened flat beside whatever you're working on too - a nice, simple touch.

There'll be someone on shortly to recommend one of Leonard Zinn's art of bike maintenance books just as highly though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Art of the Bike Wash

Personally, I get by with a narrow nylon brush (for baby bottles), a Park Cyclone Chain Scrubber (with appropriate degreaser), a chamois, a bucket of hot water with car shampoo (not washing up liquid - too salty) and a low pressure garden hose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    I got the chain clearner from lidil las week and it worked great, what would you use to clean the chain next time as there was only enough cleaning liquid for one go.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Cheers for the advice lads. Yea, I reckon I'll get that Guy Andrews book alright - seen it in Waterstones yesterday, should've picked it up then.

I'll get one of them chain-cleaners as well, reckon wiggle or one of them have sufficient ones, yea?

Just another little thing... How often should I be cleaning the chain? Seems a bit of messy work to be doing after every spin.

Just another little thing... How often should I be cleaning the chain? Seems a bit of messy work to be doing after every spin.

Depends on weather and distance. If you wipe down the chain after every wet ride you shouldn't need to do it more than once every couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭danburke

petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Depends on weather and distance. If you wipe down the chain after every wet ride you shouldn't need to do it more than once every couple of weeks.

What Lumen is saying is: if you clean it after every ride, you will only need to clean it once every fortnight. ;)

danburke wrote: »
    petrol?

Poisonous, dangerous, unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

danburke wrote: »
    petrol?

and dont get it anywhere near your carbon

i just use muc off degreaser in a park tool chain cleaner about once a week, couldnt face my bice shiny Cf bike being dirty when i go out

(now the commuter takes a bit more cleaning)

• Advertisement
Advertisement