Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New snooker club,ideas welcome :)

• 12-04-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi there,

Myself and my uncle recently opened a snooker club in Drogheda. we've spent the last 2 months getting a feel for it and just learning the game really before we advertise and really push the place.

A few requests from members so far have been, lockers, food(snacks), radio, sport on tv,weekly tournaments, i think there are more ill post them as they come to me. just a few questions if any members of clubs could advise on

lockers - does your club have lockers for cues? do they charge?
    food- Are there many snacks available, crisps, choc etc maybe even toasted sambos? its a small enough club so the whole place might smell of whatevers being toasted!
    sport- already decided to go ahead and get the sport in on few screens, so ill probably decide on volumn depending on whos in the club
    tournaments- does your club have weekly tourneys? we've already ot a club ladder going and we're looking at joining the dundalk league but im open to other ideas

Anyway id be interested to hear ideas from others, if there are any! A friend gave me a good one the other day, giving people a lift home after closing, i thought itd be a nice gesture, obviously only to as many as i can fit in the car!

another was to offer a few hours snookers to members who get friends to join etc

I'm working ont he website for the club at the moment ill post it up her when its done

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

Firstly, best of luck with the snooker hall.

The club I usually go to (not an actually member) charges 5 euro an hour for non members. It provides a few snacks, nothing fancy, they buy multipacks of crisps, bars and cans and sell them individually. They have toilets on site and all the windows are blacked out except one. You can use the cues they have or you can bring your own. (you could put a small deposit on the cues if you wanted, but my snooker hall doesn't) The chalk is attached to the table to stop people robbing it. They have tvs but the volume is usually very low. Mobile phones are permitted provided they are on silent/vibrate. It doesn't provide any lockers but they seem like a good idea.

I would be happy to provide you with any more information if you need it about the snooker hall I frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

Aswel as the snooker maybe a dart board,slot machines or poker nights. Bring in more crowds,more crowds more money.Run dart tournament every Sunday afternoon. Best of luck hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

Thanks lads, good info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭DubGF

My 2 cents...

Ensure your tables are of good standard (especially clothe), are cleaned daily (brushed/blocked/ironed)

Ensure balls are good quality

Ensure you have enough Chalk/Cues/Rests/Spiders/Extensions

blocked?

• Advertisement

Blocking is like brushing except you use a wooden block covered in the same material on the table, ie cloth, after brushing, use the same motion as used when ironing the table to go from baulk end to black sport, depending on the size of the block, roughly 6 times will do, always go from baulk to top cushion, then iron the table.

Do you have a proper iron?

Yes we have a good iron, is it a damp cloth or does dry do, it's to pick up remaining dust right?

Yes the block picks up additional dust etc that may be left.

Dry clothe on the block, you can probably make it yourself with spare clothe from table covering.

Tack the cloth to the block and then use the other side on the table.

All the best with this mate, hope it goes well for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Blocking a cloth is solely for the purpose of smoothing the nap of the cloth and removing fingermarks which if left can alter the direction of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think if you have the following you are on your way to a decent setup:

Properly maintained tables.
    Correct heating in place.
    A supply of stock cues for casual players. These should have good tips & be of decent quality.
    Cue lockers for members.
    A few chairs around the club.
    Rests & spiders etc on each & every table
    Toilets
    Sky sports in an area partially walled off from snooker area
    Basic snacks- tea, coffee, minerals, chocolate etc.
    Stick some interesting snooker stuff on the walls such as pics of players, facts, rules, etc.
    Keep order in the club. No phones ringing. No young fellas shouting. No acting the ass/damaging tables. Keep drinks away from tables so provide some shelving around the club.
    Consider also 1 or 2 tables with very fine almost pro cloths with championship pockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Local snooker hall has a rule: no more than 3 people to one table, unless they're members (I think you have to over 21 to be a member).

This is to prevent 8 people playing on one snooker table. Cheap for them, not good for anyone else in the hall, as when they're not playing, they'll be talking amongst each other.

Snooker room, pool room and arcade rooms are seperate. You can put the darts into the arcade room, as they can be noisy. Pool room in my local has a TV in it: it doesn't have to be too quite, and often has the teenagers in it.

Snooker room has to be quite. You can have it noisy, but only the young people will come. If you want regular people coming, you'll want people with case, ie: adults. When the local snooker room is packed, two people to each of the 12 (or maybe 16, never counted them) tables, all you here is the odd whisper, and the click of cue against balls. If a snooker game is on the TV, it's a good idea to leave before the game ends, so that you get a table, as a good snooker hall gets swamped moments after the game is over.

As said, mobile phones on vibrator.

Opening times is another one. Snooker hall is open to 12am on weekdays, and if it's busy on Friday or Saturday, it's open till 2am. This is nice if you are holding a competition, as good games can take some time. In saying this, the snooker place is off a main road that is not in the village. If your snooker place is near a village or pub, you will probably need to alter the rules, to stop anyone who looks like are drunk from entering. Maybe have a sign to ensure it doesn't happen.

It sells bottles of drinks like lucazade, etc, and sweets. There's a small table (two feet high) and a seat at each snooker table, as well as a small bin. Many bins around the place en

Someone mentioned to me, putting the club rules up on the wall, has anyone found this in their club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Someone mentioned to me, putting the club rules up on the wall, has anyone found this in their club?
    You can make up any rule you want, and I can say f**k you, I didn't know of it. You put it on the wall, you can say I should have read the rules.

ha, what about dress, i was initially a bit worried about tracksuits , hoodies and the like but ive kinda gotten used to them now as a few of our regular players wear them, young and old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ha, what about dress, i was initially a bit worried about tracksuits , hoodies and the like but ive kinda gotten used to them now as a few of our regular players wear them, young and old

Id worry more about behaviour than dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

My local club does a 3hour special every Wednesday if you come down between 1pm and 2pm and Saturday morning at 10am. They charge €6 for the 3 hours The local schools close at 12.30 on Wednesday so it encourages the younger players to come down. It's how I learned to play snooker myself.

Good luck. Its great to hear of a new club opening when interest in snooker is supposedly on the decline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

bigbadbear wrote: »
    My local club does a 3hour special every Wednesday if you come down between 1pm and 2pm and Saturday morning at 10am. They charge €6 for the 3 hours The local schools close at 12.30 on Wednesday so it encourages the younger players to come down. It's how I learned to play snooker myself.

Fantastic idea to be fair, get the youngsters in during off-peak time at rates they can easily afford. It will get them interested in the game and you can be sure many will will come back & back. SNOOKER CLUBS LISTEN. It's a win/win situation.

I wouldn't bother with the dress code much at all as the snooker club should be a very relaxed atmosphere. I know The Spawell with new people running it have brought in a dress code since its re-open and it is so narrow-minded and unwelcoming IMO which it never used to be. As said above control any behaviour problems rather that what people wear (Pyjamas may be an exception there though :D).
    bigbadbear wrote: »
    Good luck. Its great to hear of a new club opening when interest in snooker is supposedly on the decline.

Exactly, best of luck with it drogsnookerclub, always good to see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭LegendKiller_

Where abouts is it? i live in Drogheda :D used to play abit of snooker looking to get back into it

Its at the back of the Star & Crescent, there's a buzzer on the last fire exit doors across from delaney motors int he fair green. We will have our sign up soon hopefully! Mention you saw this on boards and ill give you your second hour free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Hi there,
    I have a snooker club in Killarney, so I'll try and give you the benefit of my experience (we're there 11 years now, so hopefully, I can pass on a few tips that will be helpful).

1-(a)-Lockers are a must. Most players that take up the game eventually want their own cue. When they do own a cue, either they leave it at home, or in the club. If its in the club, they can drop in anytime they are in town because their cue is there, so they can play. When a lad gets used to his own cue, he wont play with any other one. So you want members keeping their cues in the club.

(b)- Dont get into the habit of keeping members clubs in a back room. Cues go missing from places like that.

(c)- I got lockers built into my club, and they take up very little room. I charged €10 a year to rent the lockers, but after 2 years, the cost of putting them in was covered. Then as an act of good gesture towards my members, I stopped charging for the lockers. I was happy to have had them paid for, and now have over 100 players with their own cues in the lockers.

2- Get some interested players to form a committee within the club with regards to what tournaments should be held. Often, what you might think is best is not always what the members want. Also try to make sure that somebody with a real interest takes on the role of organising stuff for your underage members. If you have the time, you could serve on the committee yourself.

3-I put a television between every 2 tables, otherwise, you'd have nobody in on Tues and Wed nights when champions league is on. Other big sports events have an impact as well, but you have a chance if the telly is on in the background. Very important to have that.

4-Food. Yes, you definately have to do some food, Basic maybe, but it is vital. Toasted sandwiches, teas coffees, snack bars and minerals are a must. Only takes up a small space. Dont worry about the smell of toasties around the club. Thats a bonus, because when other people smell them, they order them themselves!!!

5-You wont be able to survive on snooker alone. Youll probably have to put in a few poker machines or something like that. AQlso, a few internet terminals. they dont take up much room, buy they are an added extra you have for your members.

6-Make sure you have a shelf on the wall at every table where a player can put his tea/mineral etc,etc. Nothing worse than not having comfort for the players. Also, 1 barstool at each shelf, and 1 rubbish bin there as well.

7--Brush and block your tables everymorning, and cover them last thing at night. Iron them every second day. Make sure you have the proper snooker balls, because they make a big difference. Have I extra good set that only used for semi finals and finals of tournaments.

I cant think of anything else right now, but im sure i will. If you need any advise, post here, pm me or ring me on 087-2833343.

Best of luck in your venture,

Connie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

That's some excellent advice there Connie, I think that covers everything.

One thing i don't like when you go to a snooker club, I'll use the whitworth in drogheda as an example, as i go there once a week to play...It's very annoying when you have a table full of young lads making a lot of noise. I went there with my friend one time and one of the young lads was using his phone as a radio blaring out annoying dance music, The gorilla that works there never batted an eyelid at this nonsence... Snooker halls are meant to be quiet. Maybe restrict the age to over 18's

When yours is up and running myself and the lads will defo be down for some coke an sambo's and a few frames! good luck

That's some excellent advice there Connie, I think that covers everything.

One thing i don't like when you go to a snooker club, I'll use the whitworth in drogheda as an example, as i go there once a week to play...It's very annoying when you have a table full of young lads making a lot of noise. I went there with my friend one time and one of the young lads was using his phone as a radio blaring out annoying dance music, The gorilla that works there never batted an eyelid at this nonsence... Snooker halls are meant to be quiet. Maybe restrict the age to over 18's

When yours is up and running myself and the lads will defo be down for some coke an sambo's and a few frames! good luck

Its very hard to restrict the age to over 18's, because if you do that, you wont have a club in a few years time.New blood is the lifeline of any club, in any sport. Its very important to encourage young lads to play and to teach them the ethicate of the game (as in behaviour around the table and the club. Start as you mean to continue and the young lads will know that they need to respect the club and the other members. (I have a member here who is very interested in underage snooker as his young son has started playing). He brings about 10 lads in (9-15years old) together usually, and when they finish, he gets them to brush the tables after them. Its great for the young lads, as they are getting coaching, but they are also learning how to respect the game and the equipment in the club.

Connie

connie147 wrote: »
    Its very hard to restrict the age to over 18's, because if you do that, you wont have a club in a few years time.New blood is the lifeline of any club, in any sport. Its very important to encourage young lads to play and to teach them the ethicate of the game (as in behaviour around the table and the club. Start as you mean to continue and the young lads will know that they need to respect the club and the other members. (I have a member here who is very interested in underage snooker as his young son has started playing). He brings about 10 lads in (9-15years old) together usually, and when they finish, he gets them to brush the tables after them. Its great for the young lads, as they are getting coaching, but they are also learning how to respect the game and the equipment in the club.

Connie

I get what you are saying and you are 100% right, I suppose it's all down to respect and to who ever is working to keep an eye on things to make sure everything is alright. I totally agree that young lads should be allowed in, you have given a perfect example above where that works. i'll be anxious to give this new club a try as im not a big fan of the whitworth but it's our only option.

Jesus drop in during the week and you and your friends can have the 2nd hour free as i offered someone earlier, hopefully you will be impressed :)

The extension will be finished in about 2 weeks but it doesn't interfere with the tables already up

With regards u18's our club has a bar so i'm not sure if we can even have under 18's on the premises after a certain hour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Hi Drogs and Connie and everyone else,I'm sure you will agree with me Connie and say you can have the best tables in the world, the best equipment, in fact the whole package but you must have the right guy behind the counter that will welcome people, encourage them to play and if possible has a good enough knowledge of the game to offer some basic coaching.I've seen so many clubs open with huge fanfare over the years to just die a death through lack of interest by the owner/occupier to pure greed by removing some tables to accomadate poker machines etc and attract the wrong crownd and kill the snooker take.

Great to see a new snooker club opening up, i have spoken on boards for quite a while that snooker is alive and kicking and I can honestly see a great future and turnaround for the sport.

thanks very much drog, will pop down with my father as he wants to go for a few games. Where is the entrance so i can find it, Is it there by the purple room entrance around where the motor factors an stuff is?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kildare snooker

good luck with ur new club

connie some great advice there mate

Thanks Kildare

Jesus its the last 2 blue fire exit doors to the right of the purple room entrance. We'll be putting a sign above the door asap but until then you can just press the buzzer beside the door and ill let you in, im there from 7pm mon-fri and weekends from 1pm

• Advertisement

[;]Hi Drogs and Connie and everyone else,I'm sure you will agree with me Connie and say you can have the best tables in the world, the best equipment, in fact the whole package but you must have the right guy behind the counter that will welcome people, encourage them to play and if possible has a good enough knowledge of the game to offer some basic coaching.I've seen so many clubs open with huge fanfare over the years to just die a death through lack of interest by the owner/occupier to pure greed by removing some tables to accomadate poker machines etc and attract the wrong crownd and kill the snooker take.

Hi Zack,
    It's not pure greed in all situations. Snooker clubs can not survive on snooker alone. Because of their size, etc etc, its takes a big space for a snooker club to operate in, and in having a big space, then rents become high, and rates are huge. Then take taxes and VAT into account, and it becomes impossible for a snooker club to survive on snooker alone. In an ideal world, my club would just have snooker tables and a coffe shop, but our doors would be closed in a short period of time. I cant say to snooker players when they are finished playing, "thats €16 lads, + vat", because they dont want to know anything about that. Snooker was €6 or €7 an hour 12 years ago, and if the cost of it had gone up like all other things in life, it would be €20 an hour now.But its not much more that it used to be,probably betweem 7-10 euro an hour in commercial clubs.I'm not having a go at you here by the way, just saying what its like.

Years ago, in the snooker boom, clubs did survive on snooker alone, but now with all the sport on tv and culture of nights out on the beer, snooker clubs will never again be as busy as they used to be. But in saying that, Ive no doubt hearne will make snooker more popular again. But any club that opens up and thinks it can survive long term on snooker alone need to thing about it again.

Connie

Advertisement