Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Primera - Fuel problem!

• 12-04-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello all,

I just bought a used Nissan Primera estate, year 2002, 1.6 litre engine.

Just spend the weekend driving it and very happy with most of its aspects, except for one. The fuel consumption is terrible, averaging at around 25 mpg.

Now, it does need some work, which the dealer is going to fix on the warranty - two rear tyres are worn below the legal limit, and the two front wheels need to be properly aligned. I discovered this after buying it, my bad for missing these problems when I first test drove it.

Could those problems be the cause of the poor fuel economy? I would not have expected a 1.6 litre engine to be that thirsty...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It depends on a few things. Your driving style is the biggest factor. Misaligned tyres will make MPG worse by maybe 3-4mpg. Thirdly, the 1.6 engine is not enough for a Primera estate - it's a heavy car and the engine has to work even harder to lug the estate body around.

How are you measuring your fuel consumption? Refill to refill, tank to tank or trip computer?

I'd be expecting 33mpg out of a Primera, but an 8mpg difference is easily explainable by the above factors. That said, if the MPG gets worse over time then it could be an engine sensor problem (Lambda or MAF).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Marcaiocht_Tonn

Hi Confab,

Thanks for your reply. I measure the fuel consumption both by using the onboard computer and by using up a full tank and watching the mileage on the dials.

I guess you're right about the 1.6l engine having to work hard. It's a real shame, I went for a smaller engine to save fuel but that error now may have had the opposite effect. I hope sorting the tyres/wheel alignment will help.

The car also has a roofrack stuck on so I guess that ain't helping either...

I got four new tyres yesterday and the wheels properly balanced, but fuel economy is still low.

Can anyone offer any further advice on this? Even though the engine is marginally small for the body, I shouldn't be averaging 25 mpg, that's big SUV territory!

Is there anything in the engine, such as faulty/dirty mechanisms, that could be drastically increasing fuel consumption?

As it stands I literally cannot afford to run this car...! Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

25mpg is normal for a Primera for "Town" driving http://auto-catalog.net/?f=showCar&car_id=592&lang=en

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rlz=1R2ACAW_en&q=9.3+ltrs%2F100km+to+mpg%3F&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Try using good quality fuel and go for a steady drive for 20kms or so with tyres pumped to correct pressures, windows closed and a/c turned off. Dirve at the speed limit, and work out how much fuel your using by calculating it yourself rather than the trip computer and see what your getting.

Thanks landcruiserfj62, I'll certainly give that another try and I appreciate you looking up those stats on the car...

However I've actually been using the fuel gauge to calculate it - 55 litres on a long trip last weekend got me about 310 miles, which is around 21 mpg on average.

Definitely something odd going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Thanks landcruiserfj62, I'll certainly give that another try and I appreciate you looking up those stats on the car...

However I've actually been using the fuel gauge to calculate it - 55 litres on a long trip last weekend got me about 310 miles, which is around 21 mpg on average.

Definitely something odd going on.

Nope, that's 25.6 mpg. How do you know you used exactly 55 litres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd get it on a diagnostic.

I know how much I've used by keeping track of when I fill up and the changes in the fuel gauge.
    Colm mcm: I'd get it on a diagnostic.

Hi Colm, what do you mean?

Advertisement