Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motivate me to get back on the bike

• 12-04-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have been off the bike for 3 weeks now. I was knocked off my bike in a ahit and run by a car on a Saturday morning training spin 3 weeks ago badly bruising my face, shoulder and getting a black aeye and mild concussion, and scrapes on my knees, and hands. Luckily I did not come out to badly. It could have been a lot worse thanks be to God. I am a bit nervour to get back on the bike for the daily commute. I have been stuck in the gym the last 2 weeks. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. With the fine wea:mad:ther and all I hate being stuck in the car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Sorry to hear that. Not sure what anyone can say except that it was totally random, rare and therfore extremly unlikely ever to happen to you again.
    It may help to get pissed off and say that you wont let this stop you or to just accept that you ARE going to cycle again and may as well just start today. Even jjust 100m on the bike would be a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sounds to me like you've already convinced yourself..You should get back on the bike because the weather is great ATM and you hate the car. Its also worth remembering that what happened to you is very rare and very unlucky. Most cyclists come home in one piece every day.

get back out there! you know you want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Take it extremely handy the whole way in. Leave an extra half-a-commute-time earlier than usual and just cruise in.

I got hit about 18 months ago by a car leaving a housing estate on the left side of the road, off the bike for 1 week. I found when I got back on, I was generally cycling normally, except I was slowing to almost a complete halt at every junction on the left, checking for cars and continuing. It was pretty much subconscious, and felt too nervous to speed past each junction. It took about a week to ten days of that before it subsided. So just give it extra time and take it handy.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, and I hope they caught the f*cker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I've never been in that kind of situation, but try to think positively. It was an unlikely and one-off incident and was unfortunate, but that's it done.

If you're finding the commute a daunting task, then just try out a bit locally first and cycle as you always do. You can build up the distance and confidence quickly and then maybe try the commute on a Saturday morning when there's less traffic.

When you're out, just make sure you give yourself a good road position. I always stay about 1m away from the kerb depending on the road. What I always do though is make sure I have enough room to prevent silly behaviour from drivers. If they want to pass me, they should have to think about it and do it properly, rather than just trying to edge me closer to the kerb while they squeeze through.

Also, look out the window. That should encourage you no end! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the encouragement. The hardest thing to accept is that the driver was completely at fault and after accepting liablility i.e (getting out of the car and apologising etc). Once I regained abit of composure afetr sitting down aginst a wall, dazed etc after being hit decided to drive off leaving me to foot the doctor bills and somone else walking by to drop me off at the GPs. Basically I was cyling straight on and she came out of a slip road from a housing estate startight into my path and then the collision took place with me ending up on the tarmac and my face and hands,knees atc getting the main impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

On yer bike! Wahey!

I got knocked down a few years ago and it was about two months before I got back cycling. Too long, frankly. It made me rather sensitive to vehicles pulling out from my left. It was a situation not dissimilar to yours.

So get back on your bike and you might find yourself more alert than ever before, which, in my book, is a good thing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Billyhead - I think you posted previously about commuting in from Rush? (I cycle in from Skerries) - If you want to start off again, I would be happy to come along with you one day (we can share crash stories if you like:D)

I come off the Swords by-pass at the Pavilions, but we could have a gentle spin down to there if you like (I am happy to meet you at Rush if you like)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just remember that it's normal to feel cautious after any kind of spill, and the bigger the spill the more cautious you'll be. It will subside with time, you just have to get back on the bike.
    When I first got a motorbike nearly 9 years ago, my first spill was cornering on a wet roundabout, guy pulled out in front of me, pulled the front brake and went down. Wasn't going very fast, but it still hurt.
    To this day, I'm still slightly iffy about cornering in the wet on the bicycle. In reality I should be out there in wet carparks, pulling steeper and steeper turns to shake the fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

billyhead wrote: »
    Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks. The advice is much appreciated. I am going to get back on the bike tomorrow morning for the daily commute again. I will take my time. Its true about being more cautious. I will be extra alert from now on, which won't be a bad thing. I am just grateful that I did not come out a lot worse from the accident. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Sucks man. I stacked my bike the other day and think I fractured a rib (bike lock chain over one shoulder, under the other, landed on it hard, ouch.) Had to cycle home but was a bit shaken. You just have to get back on. Stay loose, don't tense up as it'll make you ride badly. Not slowly, badly, as in you wont turn well, won't be looking in the right places, to be safe, etc. Take a deep breath and remind yourself how many times you've been on your bike, and that of all those times, you've only been knocked off once. Look through the turns, eg, keep your head up, look into the turn where you want to be going, not infront of your wheel. If you ride a bike, at some point, you're going to get knocked off it. I used to ride motorcycles and this is just something you have to accept if you want to get about on 2 wheels. It hurts for a little while and then you get better, its worth it overall but it sucks when some twat injures you. As for me and my post stacking it woes, as I said I had to cycle home and I made a point of getting back on the bike the next day, and the day after that, and today. I felt good again today, I was whizzing through traffic up o'connell st, seeing the angles, making the turns, I felt good on a bike again. The day I stacked, and the days inbetween now and then, I didn't feel so good. Eventually you just revert to how you were, comfortable and in control, without noticing.

If you really don't feel like being on the roads, put the bike in the car and drive to phoenix park. Nice cycle paths around there, off the main road. Ween yourself back. But best to just jump back in angry. Be loud, occupy the lane position you want, be confident, boss it. They either don't see you or they're aiming for you. Good luck mate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Very sorry to hear about your incident, @billyhead.

I think the advice here already is very good. All I'd add is maybe get Cyclecraft and have a read. I always find that a reassuring read. As for the accident you had, if I'm alone on the road (no cars following) I always position myself at least a quarter of the way towards the centre line and cover the brakes as I approach slip roads. Maybe you do that already. If not, it's worth doing it until it becomes automatic: it gives you time to react to cars pulling out without looking (for bikes - they don't tend to pull out in front of cars).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I know how you feel. I was knocked off a few years ago and it took me quite a while to regain my confidence even after the injuries healed. Two months off with the injuries and then very wary after for probably the next year. Just get back at it and you will build up the confidence gradually. I was kicking myself I didn't get back into it properly sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

btw, I'd be cruising around that housing estate looking for the car that hit you. Wouldn't let someone away with that.

Best of luck btw

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

best thing you can do is get back out there tomorrow or as soon as possible, dont let anything stop you ever. good luck and dont worry, that was a once in a lifetime thing that is very very unlikely to happen again.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was hospitalised following a nasty accident last summer. There was no vehicle involved, just a very poor road repair. Managed to get on the turbo a few days after coming out of hospital, but it was about a month before I could get back on the road. I was a bit apprehensive (and actually made a point of going round the particular road repair for a few weeks), but the important thing was getting back on the bike - my confidence soon returned - in fact I ended up fitter with my average speed increasing by over 1 kph within a few weeks of the accident:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Beasty wrote: »
    I was hospitalised following a nasty accident last summer. There was no vehicle involved, just a very poor road repair.

I was a bit apprehensive (and actually made a point of going round the particular road repair for a few weeks), but the important thing was getting back on the bike

I had a similar crash last summer due to a blow-out and nasty road surface. Wasn't that nasty, about 10 sq cm ripped off the outside of my forearm that took about 3 months to heal.

I repaired the puncture and cycled home and got back out the next day. Cycled on the path by that stretch of road for about 4 months after that. These days I still use that route and on the road too.

Get back on the bike and get out there. Let us know when you're going and we'll line the route and cheer... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Sorry to hear about that. Ive never been Knocked off my bike thank ****, but since I commute daily on mine, it seems to be only a matter of time. From hearing stories on here and the antics of some of the motorists when it does happen, and providing Im not Dead or out of it, I'll be staying flat on the ground until the Gardai come.
    Driving off from a accident like it was a inconvinience is disgusting, she would have shown more concern about a Dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If you're looking for motivation it might be worth remembering that statistically speaking it's far safer to cycle than not to cycle if you account for all the health benefits accrued from regular cardiovascular exercise. That's cold comfort I know right now after some bint has ****ed off leaving you half broken on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When I got knocked off, it put me off that road and made me more wary. Which is probably a good thing.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Thanks for all the encouragement. I cycled in today. Took it easy and I was more cautious then ever but arrived at work in one peice. Fell great that I made it :D. As you already mention its a matter of restoring the full confidence (not in drivers:P). Now its time to get some serious training going for those Summer Sportives;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

When I first read the thread title, I was going to come in and say "Get a life" .. why should anyone be motivating you ... you should be doing that yourself.

And then I read the post itself and I was thinking of the Snickers ad .. "Get some nuts" ... and at the last post, I realised .. you already did ... :)

Best of luck with it and keep safe on the roads. See you around on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

several months ago i fell off my bike on a roundabout after sliding and loosing control on gravel, had some nasty roadrash on my arm, a damaged knee and hip and some cuts, took me about a month to get back on the bike and as a lot of people are saying take it easy the first few weeks and ease yourself back into it

Advertisement