Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in the City Centre.

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

I was considering moving into the city centre. Just looking for peoples advice/comments based on their experiences of living in the city centre. Anything to say in terms of security/safety? Landlords? The kind of people who tend to live there? Or is it just the same as any other area, a total mix of all types?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I live in the city centre and I really love it. Everywhere I want to go is within walking distance and my taxi fare home is only about 6 or 7 quid. I live on the north side of the city in a fairly working class neighbourhood but the locals are normally very friendly; then there are the occasional student and lots of young professionals. I also lived on the southside of city and it was pretty much the same; although if you are the type that gets nervous walking by a group of kids in tracksuits then I would recommend moving to Rathmines or Ranalagh instead. Both are really close to town and near the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I live in town too and love it. I'm in D2 and like the last poster said, walking distance from everywhere and only €6 or €7 in a taxi. Right on good bus links, near enough to Luas, very close to DART. Area I live in is a bit of a mixed bag, can be a bit rough in parts but mostly made up of professionals and students.

The downside for me would be lack of space/open space but we're near a park and the river so that's good.

If you're thinking of renting an apartment or house, definitely check it out at various times of the day on different days during the week and over the weekend. We're lucky that we live in a very quiet, private development and don't have issues with gangs of kids hanging around but it's something I'd be very conscious of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I am living near Ranelagh now and its ideal. You can walk into town in a few minutes, and its a mix of all sorts really. Working close by too, so save a fortune on Buses/taxis etc going to work and on nights out.

So the extra you might have to pay in rent to be near city centre, you will easily make it back on not needing to use taxis/buses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Lived in city centre for years and moved out of it last year. Can honestly say that for the majority of the time i spent living there, i loved it. i do believe that you get your fill of it in time though and eventually you'll have enough of it.

Lets be real about it. You're probably going to live in an apartment (if it's a house then you're lucky!), so that means you may be sharing? If this doesnt bother you, then thats a start. Then, you have to take your neighbours into consideration. If you're the type of person that would be annoyed easily by noise & partying from neighbours, or just drunk people on the street singing at all hours, then it's probably not for you. (If you're in an apartment then you're more than likely going to be living with someone above and beneath or beside you. Believe me it matters so if you're not easily bothered, then you're set, because the City Centre is noisy alot of the time. You can get really lucky though on the northside or southside and you might not be on a busy street so busses roaring by or ambulances wouldnt be a problem.

I'd personally suggest a house on the northside or an apartment block, rather than a house converted into apartments.

But i loved it, and i think most people do. My landlord was always great. You cant beat the location and having everything you need on your doorstep. It's a total pain if you have a car and your property doesnt provide parking. But the best part of it all is being able to walk home in a minute after a night out

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sweetcorn01

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. A few points there I hadn't considered. I think I'll go ahead and try it out, only way to know for sure. Hopefully you'll all be my neighbours very soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

If you can avoid apartments by a busy road, close to pubs, and over the entrance door as people tend to think it's a competition to bang the door as hard as they can!
    Check the windows are in good condition too if it's an old building, place I'm in is probably over 15 years old and the PVC windows were fecked, warped in the middle. Good windows make a big difference with noise and cold.

Advertisement