Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Live Messenger on Nokia E63 (Three Mobile).

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I recently bought a Nokia E63 from three.ie. It's a bill pay phone and so got the phone for free. One of the reasons I switched to 3 is for free Skype calls, which will make my life extremely handy. Another was the free Windows Live messenger, it's just a handy little feature.

Anyway, on the website, they advertise that the Nokia E63 is windows live messenger compatible. I go to services on Planet 3 and try to down load and it fails, every single time.

So I ring CS and after a few days they finally, last thursday offer to replace the phone as they are full sure that the program is compatible with the phone and the Symbian S60 OS the phone uses. I get the phone, try to DL the client AGAIN and bang, same problem, so feck it I try finding it online and low and behind the nokia official website tells me "this product is not available with this handset".

What do I do? I really want to keep using the phone as it's a handy little piece of kit. I want to stay with 3 because free skype makes my life a lot less expensive and easier but I also want to be able to use the fecking program and am extremely annoyed that I have spent so much time tring to figure it out to only now find out that their website and their CS team are wrong.

Do I send the phone back and get a refund and complain about their false advertisement or do I suck it up and accept the short comings

Also, if anyone knows how to make the program work with this hand set, you would be solving a really annoying problem for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Generally with three, (If they are advertising it as specs of the phone it should be pre-installed)

I purchased a phone from them a few months back and all the features listed were pre-installed on the phone.

If you look at the Specs it says yes to most of the items listed which means it should be pre-installed

I'd go to a three store and discuss/dispute it with them and get them to check it while your there, if it is false advertising try get a better swap from them ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pablod wrote: »
    Generally with three, (If they are advertising it as specs of the phone it should be pre-installed)

I purchased a phone from them a few months back and all the features listed were pre-installed on the phone.

If you look at the Specs it says yes to most of the items listed which means it should be pre-installed

I'd go to a three store and discuss/dispute it with them and get them to check it while your there, if it is false advertising try get a better swap from them ;)

The next phone up with the same features is the e71 and I doubt I will get that to be fair. The specs def say it's compatible as you say. When I had to original problem I went to the store and they said that as it was an online slae they couldn't do anything to help, which is such a load of bollocks.

Anytime I ring CS I get the same bull****.

do you honestly think It's worth trying to get the upgrade?

And apparently they don't sell the E71 anymore...

Seaneh wrote: »
    And apparently they don't sell the E71 anymore...

E71 is end-of-life on 3, it seems like there is possibly going to be the E72 launched just before summer or during the brand re-launch this month, though it's not yet definite.

Try going into 'Planet 3>My3>My Account> Account Details> Set My Mobile' and make sure this is set to Nokia Exx. Reset your phone(power off, battery out then in and power on), then try and download MSN again. Hopefully this will work around your problem...

If you take it through telesales, ask to speak to a supervisor, and really push your case, you may be able to get an E71 - though you'll really have to push for this.
    There is no cross-over between telesales and the 3Stores, for technical help, in-store can help but for refunds, exchanges, etc, in-store cannot access your details as it wasn't sold there so you must go back through TS.

they keep bouncing me around and every person I talk to says that it's compatible despite both the nokia website (ovi store) and several other sites I've found online confirming the opposite.

I've about to punch someone in the face.

next person I speak to is getting a "put on a supervisor please" and then I'm not giving up until I get a phone with a qwerty keypad, wifi, skype, windows live messenger, blue tooth and quadband. Fact. If they try push the INQ Chat 3g on me one one time im sending a strogly worded "GO **** YOURSELF" to them...

• Advertisement

E71 is end-of-life on 3, it seems like there is possibly going to be the E72 launched just before summer or during the brand re-launch this month, though it's not yet definite.

Try going into 'Planet 3>My3>My Account> Account Details> Set My Mobile' and make sure this is set to Nokia Exx. Reset your phone(power off, battery out then in and power on), then try and download MSN again. Hopefully this will work around your problem...

If you take it through telesales, ask to speak to a supervisor, and really push your case, you may be able to get an E71 - though you'll really have to push for this.
    There is no cross-over between telesales and the 3Stores, for technical help, in-store can help but for refunds, exchanges, etc, in-store cannot access your details as it wasn't sold there so you must go back through TS.

I have already done the set my mobile thing.

I know for a fact that it's not compatible because the Ovi store and main nokia site confirm as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I have already done the set my mobile thing.

I know for a fact that it's not compatible because the Ovi store and main nokia site confirm as much.

Do you have the time and date set correctly, MSN def does work as I used to have an E63 and used MSN with no problems

Go to the 'Quicklinks' and select the MSN from there, click on download...should work no problems.

They are def not mis selling it as it does work, it may be a sim card you're having

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Have you tried Fring?

Have you tried Fring?

Fring costs money though.

they (three) advertise it (WLM) as free to use (and compatible).

Walkman, time and date are corrent. Also, skype downloads and works perfectly from the quick links section.

When downloading MSN I get "Certificate Error; Contact Application Supplier".

Sounds like it's a firmware problem. The phone def supports it. Have you called their tech support or just their customer care. Tech support would be a better option cause if your phone needs replacing again the'll leave a note on your account then the telesales team will have no option but to exchange it for you.

• Advertisement

I have talked to them for hours they have told me I need to take it into a walk in repair store (only 6 in the country, none of which are in Athlone) and they can fix it there, but that's not much use to me, if the phone is advertised as something then it should be just that. Why would the ovi store state that WLM wasn't compatible with the handset though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why would the ovi store state that WLM wasn't compatible with the handset though?

Because 3 put the msn on themselves are part of the firmware pack. The download from the ovi store is a different program.

Have you debranded the handset?

Davy wrote: »
    Because 3 put the msn on themselves are part of the firmware pack. The download from the ovi store is a different program.

Have you debranded the handset?

no, it's brand new, like, I've had it since 11am...

And it was not preinstalled on the phone. there is a DL link on the planet 3 site alright but I get the "certificate error; contact the application supplier" everytime, no matter what I do.

no, it's brand new, like, I've had it since 11am...

And it was not preinstalled on the phone. there is a DL link on the planet 3 site alright but I get the "certificate error; contact the application supplier" everytime, no matter what I do.

If you only got it today, you can return it if your not happy.

I would agree with walkman that it could be a firmware problem, which wouldn't take long to do. I used have a download for msn that you could use on three but dont have it any more unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If you only got it today, you can return it if your not happy.

I would agree with walkman that it could be a firmware problem, which wouldn't take long to do. I used have a download for msn that you could use on three but dont have it any more unfortunately

hi davy since i updated my n97 with the new firmware im having the same problem like seaneh can download skype no problem but the wlm is a problem downloading certificate error keeps comng up

hi davy since i updated my n97 with the new firmware im having the same problem like seaneh can download skype no problem but the wlm is a problem downloading certificate error keeps comng up
    The OP didn't update the firmware of the phone so they still have warrenty. You may have voided your phones warrenty by updating the firmware yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I have the E63 on Three just like the OP. I have messenger working from the box, no mods needed.
    It won't work over wireless BB though only on the Three network. Skype works fine too. No complaint with Three at all

Thats one downside of debranding the handset. You could get the three firmware back on the handset, but i would just go with fring or one of the other similar options.

Bodhan wrote: »
    I have the E63 on Three just like the OP. I have messenger working from the box, no mods needed.
    It won't work over wireless BB though only on the Three network. Skype works fine too. No complaint with Three at all

Thats the way its meant to be. If you got the one from lets say the ovi store, that wouldn't be picky about what connection

Thats one downside of debranding the handset. You could get the three firmware back on the handset, but i would just go with fring or one of the other similar options.

Thats the way its meant to be. If you got the one from lets say the ovi store, that wouldn't be picky about what connection

But with MLW being free on 3 what difference would it really make?

Im not exactly sure what you mean?
    Its free once your using their terms, and their network. Thats the way its designed

• Advertisement
Advertisement