Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike - Claud Butler Strada or PlanetX SL Pro Carbon Road SRAM Rival

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

PX, no question. The CB is reputably very heavy and CB do not have a good brand reputation (they used to, but in the last millenium.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think this is a "hell no!" kind of response. Tiagra over Rival? Are you mad? Planet-X is the better package no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

planet x no question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I have a Tiagra equipped bike (9 speed) it's very good and is robust, the chainset and hubs are heavy and are no longer part of the bike. The brakes are OK. In the choice between the CB and the PX take the PX no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I'd go with PX on reputation alone. Nothing wrong with Tiagra, it does its job fine, but why have a hamburger muffin when you can have cake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NewBike

Wow Planet X it is.

So would you regard the PlanetX SL Pro Carbon Road SRAM Rival as the best value bike in its class for that money ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

NewBike wrote: »
    Wow Planet X it is.

So would you regard the PlanetX SL Pro Carbon Road SRAM Rival as the best value bike in its class for that money ?

It's definitely a contender. There is also the Boardman carbon with RIVAL. Certainly both are better than that Claude Butler.

If you are worried that you will lose some of your cycling identity having a planet-x when nearly everyone else has one, you might want to look at other bikes. "bang for buck" and "exclusivity" don't really go together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Where is ROK ON? Surely he will recommend the Claude Butler:D
    PX with Rival is a no brainer and no I don't have a PX............. yet!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's definitely a contender. There is also the Boardman carbon with RIVAL. Certainly both are better than that Claude Butler.

The cheapest carbons at halfords start at €1,249 (boardman is €1999 :eek: )

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?catalogId=15551&storeId=11101&categoryId=212536&langId=-1&action=listrefine&constraints=teq%7C%7CFrame+Material%7C%7CCarbon%7C%7Csor%7C%7CPrice%7C%7C1

Bought the Planet X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The cheapest carbons at halfords start at €1,249 (boardman is €1999 :eek: )

The Boardman Team Carbon is €1249.

The Pro version is €1999.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    The Boardman Team Carbon is €1249.

The Pro version is €1999.

stand corrected .. Planet X is on the way so hopefully I didn't do too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Planet X is on the way so hopefully I didn't do too bad

So did your new bike arrive? How is it? Thinking of getting the same myself...

Did it arrive assembled or did you have much tinkering to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

yes do tell us about the PX as im thinking getting one too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I recently (5-6 weeks ago) bought a PX with the Dura Ace 7900 groupset - few setup issues like the front derailliuer was set too low meaning it was very noisy - but I have rectified that easy enough, and the rear cassette was not tightened enough making it a little out on the rear....but all sorted now.

Nice light bike for the money, and PX customer service has been excellent throughout.....so no complaints from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 templar01

its driving me absolutely cracked that my employer has brought in biketowork company to admin this scheme restricting me and others to certain shops- waited so long for this to be introduced and now im just gutted i cant get a planetx or even a boardman :-(

i'm gonna have to get a trek 1.5 i think for my €1000 i think - i really cant find a better bike for my money in the shops from biketowork. Ideally would love something other than a giant or trek because there is so many :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

• Registered Users Posts: 43 templar01

y'know i was thinking about this one i can get in one of the shops.. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/roubaix-10-2010-road-bike-ec022170

??

anyone have any comments ?

Russman wrote: »
    y'know i was thinking about this one i can get in one of the shops.. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec022170

Guys they are both aluminium frame bikes, the 2 I'm on about are carbon.

Planet X hasn't arrived yet, they are under pressure with the amount of orders they have at the moment.

its prolly factor with all the orders coming via boat

im looking at the planet x too, what would be a good set of pedals to buy for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

look keo 2 max carbon - about 90e on ebay

sweet thanks for the tip, and how about shoes are is that down to preference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

No.

You are limited to shoes in this order of preference: Sidi, Time, DMT or Northwave and they must be white (80% minimum) and if they are to have colour then only world champ stripes or gold is allowed (only if they have been earned) or if they are custom made one off items.

If you are unable to find white shoes then white booties with prominent logos must be worn at all times with socks (white) protruding ~1cm above the booties at all times.

FROM OREC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

CheGuedara wrote: »
    No.

You are limited to shoes in this order of preference: Sidi, Time, DMT or Northwave and they must be white (80% minimum) and if they are to have colour then only world champ stripes or gold is allowed (only if they have been earned) or if they are custom made one off items.

If you are unable to find white shoes then white booties with prominent logos must be worn at all times with socks (white) protruding ~1cm above the booties at all times.

FROM OREC

I didn't think Northwave or DMT would be acceptable. Assumed it would be Sidi and Time only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I was surprised myself TBH - I'm sure they mean to limit them to models with full carbon soles to ensure high quality despite slackening of the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

alfalad wrote: »
    I didn't think Northwave or DMT would be acceptable. Assumed it would be Sidi and Time only!
    Both Northwave and DMT are Italian, which I did not know. Never really thought about DMT but I presumed Northwave were American. Italian=acceptable on the Euro rules.

On all seriousness though to the OP- regarding the pedals you need to decide between a walkable MTB system (SPD) or a non-walkable road system. The latter you only really need if racing; it provides better retention and possibly force transfer but it is pretty marginal if you have a stiff-soled MTB shoe.

MTB system is easier to clip into and the cleat is recessed so you can walk in the shoes. The main MTB system is Shimano SPD and would be the one I would recommend if you go MTB.

On road the main systems are Look, Shimano, Time and Speedplay, probably in that order of popularity. I use Time but I suspect they all work more or less the same. You can get entry level from Look/Shimano/Time from £25-55, no need to go for Look carbons (IMO.) Speedplay entry-level is more expensive, which was the main reason I didn't go for it (had multiple bikes to kit out.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

blorg wrote: »
    Both Northwave and DMT are Italian, which I did not know. Never really thought about DMT but I presumed Northwave were American. Italian=acceptable on the Euro rules.

I assumed Northwave were American and DMT German (no idea why). I suddenly feel so much better about my northwave shoes even if they are ugly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ruprecht

templar01 wrote: »
    its driving me absolutely cracked that my employer has brought in biketowork company to admin this scheme restricting me and others to certain shops- waited so long for this to be introduced and now im just gutted i cant get a planetx or even a boardman :-(

i'm gonna have to get a trek 1.5 i think for my €1000 i think - i really cant find a better bike for my money in the shops from biketowork. Ideally would love something other than a giant or trek because there is so many :-(

In the exact sameboat Templar. That particular Bike 2 work scheme is very frustrating not to mention bureaucratic. Alot of shops have also told me that they hang onto the money for awhile after getting it from the employer to make money via deposit account interest. As my employer also takes about 2 months to pay invoices this is not good. I can always pay for the bike upfront in the form of a 100% deposit and then get it back from the bike shop when my employer eventually pays Bike 2 work and I present my voucher. However the whole thing is turning into a real pain and I am considering just forking out and getting something better speced on line which I will stick with for years. See recent thread below.

PS As most of the online bikes I have been looking at have no pedals, appreciate the advice on the MTB pedals Blorg.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055890247

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

How are you getting on with your new planet-x?

Still looks a value deal even with the strength of them sterlings.

• Advertisement

i have ordered a planet x and awaiting shipment :)

Advertisement