Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapping the Vein

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, has anyone read the graphic novel Tapping The Vein? It is a collection of Clive Barkers stories from the Books of Blood. Would love to get my hands on this. Has anyone seen it around?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Adr.

I got my copies years ago. I haven't seen them around for some time. Don't know if they're still in print.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks Adr, are the work scavenging for? Im a big fan of books of blood, would be disappointed if they were crap.

Sound

I have Tapping the Vein books 3 and 4

Book 3 has Hell's Event and The Madonna
    Book 4 has The Midnight Meat Train and Scape-Goats

I also have 4 other Clive barker graphic collections containing:

The Yattering and Jack and How Spoilers Bleed
    Dread and Down Satan
    Revelations and Babel's Children
    Rawhead Rex and Twilight at the Towers

They are, in my opinion, somewhat hit and miss. The artwork in some is great, but not so great in others.

I'm also a big fan of Barker's Books of Blood.

What did you think of In the Hills, The Ciites?

I thought In The Hills... was amazing. Reading it, I got such a vivid picture of the people all tied together to make the giant. The damage and injuries they were doing to each other were so detailed but Barker has always been great when it comes to detail. Excellent story I would like to see into a short movie but would never be able to live up to the book.

Did you read Coldheart Canyon? It's my favourite book of all time, reason I started looking for other Barker stuff.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Did you read Coldheart Canyon? It's my favourite book of all time, reason I started looking for other Barker stuff.

Haven't read Coldheart Canyon yet, though it's on my TBR shelf. I will definitely move it up the list. Of the Barkers I have read, I thought The Damnation Game, Weaveworld and The Hellbound Heart were all excellent. The Books of Blood are also great and were my introduction to Barker.

• Advertisement

Adr. wrote: »
    Haven't read Coldheart Canyon yet, though it's on my TBR shelf. I will definitely move it up the list. Of the Barkers I have read, I thought The Damnation Game, Weaveworld and The Hellbound Heart were all excellent. The Books of Blood are also great and were my introduction to Barker.

I never read the Hellbound Heart, loved Hellraiser though so must give it a go. Ya the Damnation Game class as well. Is Weaveworld one his magical fantasy books? Was more into the horror side of things, which he does brilliantly.

Did you see the movies from the books of blood? midnight meat train, books of blood and dread? All good films although didnt like how they changed the ending of Dread

Weaveworld is one of his more fantasy-oriented books, but there are enough horrors in there to keep even the most jaded horror fan happy. Like you, I'm more of a horror fan than fantasy fan, but Barker's fantasies are very dark indeed and highly recommended.

I haven't seen The Midnight Meat Train or Dread. In fact, I didn't even know that they'd made a film of Dread. I must look out for it.

Of the Barker movies I've seen I really liked Hellraiser. The sequels, by and large are pretty crap apart from Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth.

I also thought Candyman was great and I have a soft spot for Nightbreed.

All in all, though, Barker, like most authors, has been ill-served by the movie versions of his works. The low-budget movie version of Rawhead Rex (made in Ireland, by the way, and featuring Naill Toibin) is just terrible.

Advertisement