Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head-Butting Milk Drinking Cows oddness this morning!!

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

filmed this clip this morning at about 8am out my back garden, the cows in the field behind the house were bashing heads so i thaught it was kicking off into a big cow row, which it did so i got the camera rolling but what happend was so weird&interesting to me,the two female cows they started suckling on each other & it seems to be what all the head bashing was about, they were fighting eachoter for dominace over the others udders, ive never heard or seen anything like this before, let me know what yous think, heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749JNLiKKRQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jesus H Christ, Watching Lesbian cows doing a 69 on a monday morning, does life get any better!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

Jesus H Christ, Watching Lesbian cows doing a 69 on a monday morning, does life get any better!!!!

did u see it, insane! whats it all about? texted hector on rte radio he was fillin in for jryan they rang me back and didnt belive me so i told them how to get this clip up, they said they wanted to get me on the radio...but no joy... ah well i hope it will get a few hits anyhow, classic cow headButting :)

edit: for anyone not wanting to watch all the fighting and suckin, the good head butting starts at 40seconds and the good sucking starts at 2mins:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's very common for adult cattle not to have grown out of wanting milk, so hence what you saw/recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

convert wrote: »
    It's very common for adult cattle not to have grown out of wanting milk, so hence what you saw/recorded.

so your sayin this is common? i havent seen it before anyway, maybe farmers see it all the time, if so there keepin it quiet

It's common enough - they don't always fight about it, especially if a cow is willing to let another animal suckle her for milk. If you've ever seen an animal with a plastic nosepiece with little plstic spikes on it, it's generally because they are inclined to suckle cows for milk, leaving none for the calves.

• Advertisement

Here's more info on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's kinda cute and funny! I've seen adult cats suckling from mother cats, or from dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Once knew a goat who would drink from the bucket she was being milked into given a chance..

The owner had to tie her head up while she was milking her.

Our two cats suckle on blankets etc every day; they were separated too young from their mother and this is common among cats and dogs.

It is a comfort thing.

NB cannot get youtube.

Advertisement