Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell/Lucan/Usher/UCD/Tiernans league race 15/4/10 TT

• 12-04-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Just wondering wheather or nor to stick on the tri bars or not ? Stuck the aero wheels on yesterday since we had a cracking day and got the baby bejebus scared out of me slieve man.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

levitronix wrote: »
    Just wondering wheather or nor to stick on the tri bars or not ? Stuck the aero wheels on yesterday since we had a cracking day and got the baby bejebus scared out of me slieve man.

Yes, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Why would you NOT stick aero bars on for a TT?

laurent-fignon-broken1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I will be riding on the drops, I made the mistake of not buying aerobars months ago. I know El Tonto told me he rode TTs without them last year but there is a slight power difference between the two of us.

Still, if I make it to this one it will be an achievement in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

blorg wrote: »
    Why would you NOT stick aero bars on for a TT?

laurent-fignon-broken1.jpg

Just make sure you don't fit a titanium B/B axle. Blois Chaville '82ish? I remember this turning up on A Question of Sport a few years afterwards. Poor old Fignon, away on his own and giving it lackery hits the floor like he fell from space. Cut back to Emlyn Hughes and Gareth Edwards etc all laughing like drains. I was horrified! It hadn't been long since I'd snapped my Ofmega crank...

By the way, fit the TT bars!

The Crunch wrote: »
    Just make sure you don't fit a titanium B/B axle. Blois Chaville '82ish? I remember this turning up on A Question of Sport a few years afterwards. Poor old Fignon, away on his own and giving it lackery hits the floor like he fell from space. Cut back to Emlyn Hughes and Gareth Edwards etc all laughing like drains. I was horrified! It hadn't been long since I'd snapped my Ofmega crank...

By the way, fit the TT bars!
    Haha, your superior knowledge of cycling history pips me again. That would explain the crank sitting in front of him then. I was looking for the similar photo of him sitting on the ground after Lemond took 58 seconds off him in the 1989 final time trial, taking the Tour by 8 seconds. IIRC he had his head in his hands after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yet again I've failed to get my act together and buy aerobars in time for a TT. Not sure that I would have been in contention for a place even with them. I'll still do it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    Yet again I've failed to get my act together and buy aerobars in time for a TT. Not sure that I would have been in contention for a place even with them.

I'm happy to bring along my spare ones. They only take a minute to fit. Or you can pick them up in advance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm happy to bring along my spare ones. They only take a minute to fit. Or you can pick them up in advance.

Hmmm, would it be foolhardy to race on them without practicing? I could pick them up tomorrow in town though if you're knocking around.

I also have spares available. I'm not sure I would advise doing a TT on them without fitting them first though, you would want to have a few goes in practice.

OK, I'm getting a lend of Lumen's and will have a go on them tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

I also have spares available. I'm not sure I would advise doing a TT on them without fitting them first though, you would want to have a few goes in practice.

Can I grab a set tomorrow? Just bring them home for the evening and try them out on the turbo. I probably won't end up racing on any, but I think I need to sort them out for later in the year/next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Any folks cycling out to this from town? Hoping to be there, haven't a clue how to get there avoiding the N3.

Yep I will be, I would imagine there will be plenty of others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I will be cycling out but I am in D15 ... I am not looking forward to that one tbh ...

I'll be cycling out too, but always use the N3

I will be cycling out but I am in D15 ... I am not looking forward to that one tbh ...

You need to campaign for a 24 hour TT. You'd destroy us all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

"Highly technical with lots of climbing" according in to some... should be fun.

You need to campaign for a 24 hour TT. You'd destroy us all!
    eeeeeeer no ... I think rottenhat would win that one. Wait. no. Rottenhat has already won that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

eeeeeeer no ... I think rottenhat would win that one. Wait. no. Rottenhat has already won that one :)

call it a TT though and those audax types won't show up so you'll win :)

niceonetom wrote: »

50kvg5.jpg

:eek:

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »

it looks more interesting than i was expecting, though i hear climbing and i just think of you and Lumen vanishing off into the distance :p

might see about getting out there after work today or tomorrow to go for a look see

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

it looks more interesting than i was expecting, though i hear climbing and i just think of you and Lumen vanishing off into the distance :p

might see about getting out there after work today or tomorrow to go for a look see

Isn't this the same course that was used for the Orwell training race - only we're going through Culmullin the opposite way? There was a rise on that road, but I don't remember it being as severe as, say, Dorey's Forge (which caught me out!).
    In terms of being technical, that same Culmullin road has two 90 degree turns, and then the Dunboyne road almost has a hairpin turn at jenkinstown, which could be tricky.

montac wrote: »
    Isn't this the same course that was used for the Orwell training race - only we're going through Culmullin the opposite way? There was a rise on that road, but I don't remember it being as severe as, say, Dorey's Forge (which caught me out!).
    In terms of being technical, that same Culmullin road has two 90 degree turns, and then the Dunboyne road almost has a hairpin turn at jenkinstown, which could be tricky.

looks like it finishes on 2 stretches we were on alright, but the section heading south between them i don't think i've done in any event? which is where the climb is i think?

110641.png

montac wrote: »

It has part of the same course. The climb on it, the Mullagh, wouldn't be as hard as Dorey's Forge. And you're right, the pre-season race came up that road from the opposite direction.

It's hilly and technical for a time trial. By any other standard it is not, at all.

@Dirk- you are welcome to borrow some aero bars if you can pick them up in Sandyford some time between 10:00 and 18:00.

It's hilly and technical for a time trial. By any other standard it is not, at all.

Ssssh. It was going to well until Dirk posted a graph with labelled axes.

I would still recommend that everyone else bring climbing wheels and leave the aerobars at home. Those 1% sections require unobstructed use of the bar tops.

@Dirk- you are welcome to borrow some aero bars if you can pick them up in Sandyford some time between 10:00 and 18:00.

Will do, maybe around 2pm or so?

EDIT: Unfortunately my Ridley is sitting on the Ksyriums and much like with Cruagh I can't be arsed changing everything around so I will be doing this on my trusty aksiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    110641.png

That's flat.

• Advertisement

Diarmuid wrote: »
    That's flat.

Offline, Blorg reckons that MapMyRide lies (and El Tonto concurs). Since both have ridden this circuit they may have a point.

Offline, Blorg reckons that MapMyRide lies (and El Tonto concurs). Since both have ridden this circuit they may have a point.

oooh super sekrit tatics discussions!!! :)

That dig in the middle is 3% and I have no idea what the road surface is like but 2km at 3% isn't what I would call pancake flat.

In other news, picked up the bars off Blorg (thank you sir!) and put them on. Hope to go out for a test spin tomorrow but just sitting up on the turbo I can't get my arms anywhere near 90 degrees at the elbow with my existing setup and I don't want to change too much of it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Don't have a TT bike or bars but my understanding is that you need a VERY compact frame to be able to have 90degrees at your elbow.

It's not pancake flat but the scale on that graph makes it look positively mountainous.

As Diarmuid says, you are unlikely to get them anywhere near that on a road bike. They are still very beneficial even if you just slap them on to your bars as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

There was a full tt bike-skin suit-pointy hat-disc wheel combo at the women's TT last night.....but she did win it.

No pressure Lumen ;)

• Advertisement

There was a full tt bike-skin suit-pointy hat-disc wheel combo at the women's TT last night.....but she did win it.

No pressure Lumen ;)

There is absolutely no way I am going to win. I have plenty of data to prove how crap I am.

It is my sworn duty to prove that equipment doesn't matter.

Until you beat me, then i'll be claiming it was all the pointy hats doing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

There is absolutely no way I am going to win. I have plenty of data to prove how crap I am.

Epic sandbagging.

Until you beat me, then i'll be claiming it was all the pointy hats doing :)

Skeff is selling a pointy hat.

What time is sign-on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Stuck my aero bars last night will see now later if i still remember how to ride with them :( ... but no bloody room now for my HRM watch , so thats my excuse if i cant go fast

levitronix wrote: »
    Stuck my aero bars last night will see now later if i still remember how to ride with them :( ... but no bloody room now for my HRM watch , so thats my excuse if i cant go fast

This is handy.

But I think there a convention with TTing that some parts of your equipment must be held together with duct tape and zip ties.

What time is sign-on?
    I think it is the same as all the other races, first rider off at 19:00, sign-on before that.

It's going to take ages to get everyone started on the road before dark! ... and finish before dark as well ...

Turnout at TTs is usually a bit lower than for the road races. Everyone finished before dark last year.

It's going to take ages to get everyone started on the road before dark! ... and finish before dark as well ...

speaking of, don't suppose you have space to bring my torch i left in your car on sun?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

el tonto wrote: »
    Turnout at TTs is usually a bit lower than for the road races. Everyone finished before dark last year.
    We had 48 on the Ardgillan hill climb last night (up from 29 I think last year), and the 7pm start turned into a 7.20 one. We had enough light, but a few who were cycling home probably ended up cycling in the dark

I think anyone going would be advised to bring lights simply to get home; we were riding home in the dark after the last league race.

Beasty wrote: »
    We had 48 on the Ardgillan hill climb last night (up from 29 I think last year), and the 7pm start turned into a 7.20 one. We had enough light, but a few who were cycling home probably ended up cycling in the dark

Wow. That's a great turnout.
    I think anyone going would be advised to bring lights simply to get home; we were riding home in the dark after the last league race.

+1 While you may avoid TTing in the dark, you will be riding home after nightfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Also be mindful, that if last night is anything to go by... it will be very cold afterwards so bring warm stuff to throw on if riding home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement