Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell/Lucan/Usher/UCD/Tiernans league race 15/4/10 TT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

speaking of, don't suppose you have space to bring my torch i left in your car on sun?
    I will have a look and bring it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What time are people leaving town at?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    What time are people leaving town at?

Whenever I finish up at work. Which will be followed by a frantic dash to Batterstown which will result in me being so tired I'll crawl around.

Seriously, I hope to leave town around 5:30.

el tonto wrote: »
    Whenever I finish up at work. Which will be followed by a frantic dash to Batterstown which will result in me being so tired I'll crawl around.

Seriously, I hope to leave town around 5:30.

Cool, will you be going via Phoenix Park? I'll get to the Phoenix park for before 5:30 anyway and send you a text.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Cool, will you be going via Phoenix Park? I'll get to the Phoenix park for before 5:30 anyway and send you a text.

Will take the Park alright. Since I'll be leaving the office around then, probably won't hit the park till 5:45. Should take an hour from there to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

On hour warm ups ! im impressed, thought i was bad last week warming up on bohernabreena hill on my way there

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good luck to everyone doing this tonight - may the winds be with you:)

IT'S AEROMAN!!!

4524267678_beaae1c736.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oof. That was fun.

Short report: 26:12, 252W.

I couldn't hang around to get full results, so I'll leave the others to post their own reports. :)

Long report...

So after some chaotic equipment changes today (picked up 50mm wheels at lunchtime, picked up disc at 5pm) I managed to throw everything together and hobble out the door in time. I was so rushed I ended up with a 11-26 cassette on the disc which combined with badly adjusted gears wasn't ideal (my 12-21 hasn't arrived yet).

After raising my saddle a bit after sign on (only the second outing on the bike) I decided not to risk further crippling my back by going full gas (280W) so settled on an initial power output equal to last autumn's 40K TT effort, 245W.

As the kms clocked past and my back hadn't seized up I pushed a bit harder, giving four sectors of 245W, 245W, 250W, and 270W.

At the finish I was a bit disappointed not to have cracked 26 but in retrospect I'm happy enough to have a target for next time.

As to what difference equipment makes, my average speed was 36.6kph @ 252W, compared to 34.8kph @ 245W for the 40k TT (same aerobars). So with this event being windier, hillier and more bendy I'd say the wheels and pointy gave me at least 1kph. Ooooh. As expected I don't think the TT frame is really any faster in itself, it just makes it easier to get a comfortable and stable position (and I was more comfortable this time, in spite of my pre-crippled back). It feels like there's more to come from tweaking the position.

Anyway, the disc felt awesome. It was quite windy though not gusty, and whilst the bike wandered a bit it never jumped sideways like some reports I've read. Apparently it made a cool sound but I couldn't hear it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

IT'S AEROMAN!!!

4524267678_beaae1c736.jpg

Class.
    I dont understand any of the science stuff, but that photo is class.
    I am happy for you that your wheels arrived in time.
    Finally, tall socks - personally I hate them. However if you are tall with thinnish long legs the make sense. However on my short blocky legs they would look naff.

26:33 for me, which was an improvement on last year's time of 26:58. Didn't make my usual mistake of going to hard at the start. My first TT with aerobars, which definitely do make a difference and I was down in them for long stretches. Would like to play a bit more with them before the next one as I found there were some sections where I was better off in the drops because I found myself freewheeling through bends. Also some occasions when I probably could have shifted a bit more often if I hadn't been down in the bars. But on the whole pleased enough. A respectable showing from me and my toxic lungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

26:42. Power meter battery died in the warm up so my pacing was not ideal. Still not too unhappy with the time. Just in the drops for me ;)

Full results probably won't be published for another day or so, but if anyone wants to compare their times to last year's efforts, the league table is here (click on the "R3 10TT" tab)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

27:56 or so for me iirc(gps saying 51 so somewhere around there)....

Other than cramp[which at most cost me about 30secs by my math] for last few km i guess happy enough. More training needed, cardio was pants, and poor pacing in places(stood up to crest a little hill, all it did was send my HR sky rocketing and really provided nothing). Lots to learn, lots more training to do :)

Lumen was a sight to behold, worth heading out just to see that!

oh and impressive stuff NOT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Was this 10k or 10 miles?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Was this 10k or 10 miles?

10 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

10 miles

That makes more sense

mloc123 wrote: »
    That makes more sense

We're slow, but not that slow.

Had no watch or HRM with me and forgot to clock my speedo, but i think i was just under 27min or so

Best part of the night was getting chased by an alsatian at about the 5km mark, the aller jumped the wall and had a go at me then one irelands top triathletes passed me like i was stopped :( joe lynch

levitronix wrote: »
    Best part of the night was getting chased by an alsheshan at about the 5km mark, the aller jumped the wall and had a go at me then one irelands top triathletes passed me like i was stopped :( joe lynch

What is it about this event and dogs? Last year I got chased by a rottweiler while warming up. Saw that alsatian alright. It was getting very excited when I went by.

• Advertisement

I should of went " here boy " and held a 40kph average over the course haha

Full results probably won't be published for another day or so, but if anyone wants to compare their times to last year's efforts, the league table is here (click on the "R3 10TT" tab)

Thanks. FYI, the category averages for that event were:

Scratch: 24.46, 39.25kph
    Semi-scratch: 25.34, 37.88kph
    Semi-limit: 26.95, 35.62kph
    Limit: 28.27, 33.96kph

(times are decimal minutes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

26 59' - first competition of season, coming back from injury, no aero bars so I am delighted with it. Bad knee felt fine, good knee feeling every so slightly iffy ..... :confused:

I was blorg's minute man and it was 10ks before he caught me, that was great motivation.

Had same problem with that dog around 5 ks out . Goddang owners should stop 'em attacking us innocent cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got 25 something, will have to wait to see what exactly. I think I heard around 25:15 which would make sense with where I passed Barrabus. Good to see him back on the bike and very good going for right back on it.

I fecked it up by going for a leak at the last minute and missed my start slot- so I started 45 seconds down, and in all my warm stuff; I had intended to dump my jacket! So was overheating a bit too.

Only just back now, punctured due to hitting a massive pothole in the Phoenix Park in the dark. The main road is really cut up badly there. Thanks to the lads for waiting while I fixed it.

Adjusting for the 45 seconds it looks like I'm around two minutes down on last year so that is progress at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I haven't read all off this thread but is it an out and back course or point to point? Also, is it exactly 10 miles (16.09km)? I do two TT courses which are 14.8km and 17.9km but I know it would be impossible to compare times for completely different courses but they are on Thursday nights too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Draggy? Hilly? Windy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is a three sided box if that makes any sense. Reasonably hilly with a slight overall elevation gain. Lots of bends, there are at least four sharp corners. Not a fast course by any means.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

So, it wasn't out n back then?

Got home at 23:30, I hope all races don't go on this late!

I can't remember my exact time, I actually didn't want to know it but Caroline told me it was 27:something (36 maybe?). Very happy with it, despite making a few mistakes and like the hill TT I think when I am against the clock I start mashing gears which doesn't suit my riding style and slows me down. Still, VERY happy! I set out to go for 30 minutes as TT-ing is not really my bag.

After some trouble finding Tom's bag we got on the road, riding in a convoy at night with lots of flashing lights was a lot of fun. Headed back through town with Pat from Joe Daly's and Blorg after his puncture (he may be quick on a bike, but slowest tyre change ever!) then Pat and myself headed down the N11.

Didn't turn my computer back on after the race but I am assured I passed the 100km mark, which isn't bad for a day's racing. Just about to tuck into a large bowl of spaghetti, absolutely starving!

Oh, definitely racing on Sunday now.

Planet X wrote: »
    So, it wasn't out n back then?

It used sections of the course that the Orwell pre-season race was on, quite undulating with some technical corners (technical on aero bars and for a time trial as Nietzschean said). Very good course, but man was it cold!

• Advertisement

Results are up on the IRC website.

They haven't broken it down into handicap groups yet. Niceonetom was best of the boardsies and by my reckoning he nabbed second in the semi-limit category. His stonking time was faster than a lot of scratch riders, so I suspect he'll be waving goodbye to semi-limit before too long (to say nothing of the UCD rider who won semi-limit).

Montac was also in the points, getting third in the limit group, following up on his 6th place finish last week.

Godihatedhills was fourth fastest woman. Blorg was fifth fastest in semi-scratch. Lumen was fourth in semi-limit. I was sixth. Dirk was fifth in limit. Levitronix was sixth.

Think the trip over the cobbles paid dividends for Montac:D

Well now that the results are out....

Absolutely stonking performance from Tom, fantastic stuff. That's at least a good semi-scratch time. There can be no hiding from another upgrade now... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

Think the trip over the cobbles paid dividends for Montac:D

Ha! The cobbles were nothing in comparison to the surface between the Phoenix Park & Castleknock (as well as around the new train station in Dunboyne - god I don't know how I stayed upright in the dark on my way home)!
    I'm happy with my time - but I found it quite stressful at times around the course. Like Dirk, I think I spent far too much time 'mashing' at the gears rather than finding a consistent rhythm. Anyway - very happy (and surprised too!) with that 3rd place! :D

Great time Tom - you must have flown around the course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

wohooo! I finished 57th. 5th girl :) and 3 of them are part of the untoucheables champs.
    I gained 1 min and a half from last year's 10 miles TT at the boot inn. I know I could have gotten a better time if I had TT bars. Oh well.

Well done to Tom for his top 10 time! and to all the other boardsies. 2 TT in a week for me and godihatethehils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Great result, Tom! A top ten :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Bloody well done Tom, and good showing from boardsies all round.

BTW, why was everyone so late back?

Gutted I missed this- still waiting to have my first race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Tom. Very well done. You have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Quite pleased and very surprised with how well that went :).

I went with no higher aspirations than giving the aeroman a thorough thrashing, and I didn't really think that I'd get into the points. I think I can thank Lumen for making me his minute man - the gnawing, terrifying fear that I would hear the voom voom voom of his new disk coming up on my shoulder probably knocked a minute off my time. Turns out he wasn't sandbagging.

I now understand the appeal of aero too. I'm already looking at my time and involuntarily calculating what it would be if I had the hat, or the disk, or spent some time in a windtunnel... sigh. Buying seconds seems so much more appealing than actually getting stronger.

I was told by someone that TT times generally don't lead to promotion, but by others that I've set myself up again as a potential semi-scratcher. I really don't want to get bumped again...

• Advertisement

I see blorg's ill-timed slash was tactfully described on the Orwell website as "the latter stages of his warm up".

Updated league table available here.

Updated league table available here.

Category averages:

Scratch: 25.0, 38.5kph
    Semi-scratch: 25.5, 37.6kph
    Semi-limit: 26.7, 36.0kph
    Limit: 28.2, 34.0kph

(decimal minutes)

So Tom managed to beat the scratch average :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So my private TT time this morning of 35.53 @ 28.5kph would leave me hanging off the tail then...

Dunnes at Rathbeale -> Ballyboghill -> Oldtown -> back to the Ashbourne Rd at Rolestown.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So my private TT time this morning of 35.53 @ 28.5kph would leave me hanging off the tail then...

Not necessarily. A different course will generate different times. For example, I've ridden faster on 25 mile TTs than on 10 mile ones, purely because the course was faster.

smashing time tom will done

With pace like that you should lead off the front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Plus you'll go faster when there's competition

Aye, well done Tom that was a cracking time. And well done to everyone else, Lumen was a sight to behold. Diarmuid, Pat and Caroline were all racing without aero bars (although some might argue Pat's entire bike was aero) but personally I found them a huge boost so God knows how much faster you would have been with them.

With pace like that you should lead off the front

Unfortunately it's still not enough power to leave behind an A4 bunch over any distance. For that you need help.

You need to be really fast to solo to victory.

Lumen wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's still not enough power to leave behind an A4 bunch over any distance. For that you need help.

You need to be really fast to solo to victory.

Not in an open race perhaps, but doable I'd say in the club league, especially in a DMS race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

My first ever event, came home in 28.44, and given my goal was to be inside 35, I'm pretty happy! Very impressed with the whole event, I'll be at many more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement