Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications in Web Design and Development

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have been doing web design and development for a couple of years now. I learned HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and MYSQL on my own. I have worked for a company that does web design and development and I have also done a few freelance web sites.

The only problem is I have no qualifications. I don't want to enroll in some basic courses as I fell (and I could be wrong) that I would be a bit too advanced for them. I was wondering if there was any places that I could get certified without too many classes?

Also in your opinion where would the best qulaifications and from where?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I wouldn't put much weight on any such qualifications. Those courses are usually out-of-date once they start and too many promote less than good practices, tables based design being a classic. Better to be able to pick up skills from online sources for a load of reasons. I'd put a lot more weight on the portfolio and a great set of bookmarks.

OTOH there is the problem that there's virtually no barrier to entry in this line of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Peck3277 wrote: »
    I was wondering if there was any places that I could get certified without too many classes?

Not if you want a qualification that has any value. However I believe the Zend certs do carry a certain amount of weight and you could probably get the initial one in a few months.
    Peck3277 wrote: »
    Also in your opinion where would the best qulaifications and from where?
    You'll need a degree to be a valuable developer. If you're focusing on pure design I'd say its probably the same but that's just an educated guess. Happily you can do this at night or through distant/on-line programmes. But a bachelor's degree is the qualification to build a career in development on.

Advertisement