Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car is over reving and rumbling badly

• 12-04-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

my friends car ,the rev clock keeps going up when its not in gear and theres a bad rumble from it also

anyone no if this is something serious .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Possibly?

Is it a diesel? Give us some more information. Make, Model, Year, engine?

My first thought is that it's a diesel, and might be starting to run away, because of a small amount of oil leakage past the turbo. Which if it gets out of control will be a disaster for the engine because it'll have the same effect as jamming the throttle wide open.

Second thought is that the throttle just isn't closing fully...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

its an 02 seat ibiza petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

clutch could be ruined

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Does it stay idling at high revs, or does it jump up and down? The first is possibly a thermostat gone (the ECU thinks the engine is cold so runs rich keeping the revs up), the second is possibly the throttle body needing to be cleaned, both are common issues on those.

was nearly thinking that ,and now i think of it i remember driving a van and this happened it also gave the gear stick a rumble and im pretty sure it was the clutch ,its probably on the way out

thanks flynn

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    Does it stay idling at high revs, or does it jump up and down? The first is possibly a thermostat gone (the ECU thinks the engine is cold so runs rich keeping the revs up), the second is possibly the throttle body needing to be cleaned, both are common issues on those.

it goes up and down and theres an awful clank and rumble noise ,that seems like its from the gearbox

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

does it spike when you change gears?

it goes up and down and theres an awful clank and rumble noise ,that seems like its from the gearbox

The up and down bit sounds like the throttle body, it would also clank and rumble when the revs go low enough that the engine nearly cuts out, but it shouldn't when the revs are high. Does it only clank/rumble when the revs are low, as if the car was stalling? If it's there all the time, does it stop when you press the clutch pedal in?

stevenmu wrote: »
    The up and down bit sounds like the throttle body, it would also clank and rumble when the revs go low enough that the engine nearly cuts out, but it shouldn't when the revs are high. Does it only clank/rumble when the revs are low, as if the car was stalling? If it's there all the time, does it stop when you press the clutch pedal in?

thats exatly how it sounds like its about to cut out sometimes ,its there when the car is idle with the engine on out of gear ,and also when stoped in 1st gear waiting at lights or something ,so no it doesnt stop when the clutch is pressed in, any ideas

It really sounds like the throttle body to me anyway. I posted here before about how to clean it out. It might not be the problem, or might not be the only problem, but it's quick and easy to do and worth a go IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

As above, its the throttle body. 6N2 Polo's used to do the same... my old one did it. The Ibiza is the same car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Was working on a 04 Polo last week, sounded like a similar
    problem, rev's jumping. EPC light even came on.
    Turned out it just need the trottle bottle cleaned out
    as well as a new set of spark plug. An awful lot of carbon
    and dirt had built up.
    Now running like new. Hope your problem is as easly fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

Could be a air leak somewhere on the TB / inlet manifold..
    IACV (idle air control valve)
    thermostat is sticking the cold start on all the time..

my bet would be on a air leak or IACV!

thanks to all ,;)

hey all thanks again for the help,

i looked at my frends car changed the spark plugs ,sprayed the throtle body ,and put oil in ,the rumbling has now stopped problem solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Its great when it turns out to an easy fix after all, well done
    and happy motoring.

Muckie wrote: »
    Its great when it turns out to an easy fix after all, well done
    and happy motoring.

+111

yea it is and money saved on going to a mechanic too ,and brownie points for me from the missus :D

Advertisement