Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA Election

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

The nominations for PSA President close today at 5pm.
    Does anyone what candidates are running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I know of 2 definites.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I hear Dave Morrin is running. If I had a vote, he'd have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

sceptre wrote: »
    I hear Dave Morrin is running. If I had a vote, he'd have it.

I can confirm that David Morrin [THATS ME FOLKS!] is running for PSA president!

I'll have a manifesto uploaded later today, and I would appreciate all postgrad votes next Monday.

Good luck to Dan and Eadaoin who are running against me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I had known Dan and Eadaoin were running, but good luck to you too Dave.

I don't know Eadaoin, but I know that Ryan Dan:p and Dave are solid candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 _Coco_

Three candidates are confirmed to be running for the position of PSA President:
    Ryan Dan Comerford
    David Morrin
    Eadaoin Walsh

Best of luck to all three!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tweedledee!

Good to see that there is an election anyway this year! My money's on Ryan Dan, seeing as I know him! Smart guy with plenty of experience for the job! Don't know the other two candidates but wish everyone the best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Mossin wrote: »
    I can confirm that David Morrin [THATS ME FOLKS!] is running for PSA president!

I'll have a manifesto uploaded later today, and I would appreciate all postgrad votes next Monday.

Good luck to Dan and Eadaoin who are running against me also.

Best of luck with it man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ryandan

Hey everyone

I hope you are all well.

Ryan Dan Comerford here. As you may have heard I am running for YOUR PSA President for 2010 aswell. :D

Hope to see you around during the week. Be sure to come and say hi and if you have any questions be sure to ask. I'll only be happy to help if I can. :D

The best of luck to David and Eadaoin and I will see you tomorrow morning.

Ryan Dan for PSA. :)

Just some updates for people:

Election takes place Monday Week 12.

The Election Polling Station will be positioned in the PSA Common Room only.
    It will be opened from 10 am - 8pm.

The count will take place Tuesday morning.

Hustings will take place on Monday at 2pm in the Stables Courtyard.

Let the campaigning begin! :)

Hey everyone,

If you would like to join in my campaign or even show your support, you can check out my Campaign Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=118872328123429

My manifesto is under available under discussions.

For anybody who is not able to access my manifesto for any reason, I've posted it here:

My name is David Morrin and I am a candidate for PSA President 2010-2011. Please vote me as your No.1 choice when voting in the election on Monday of Week 12.

Below is my manifesto on which I am more than willing to talk to anyone about, at any time. Please take the time to read it, and once again please vote David Morrin No.1 for PSA President.

My Background
    I am in my 5th year in the University of Limerick, and am doing an MBS in International Entrepreneurship Management. I have been the class rep for this class since September and have represented them and other postgrads on issues throughout this academic yearin areas such as Class Reps Council .
    I am an active member of Connect, helping students interact and get involved.
    I have been an orientation guide for undergraduates, postgraduates, mature and international students, and I still assist these students whenever they encounter difficulties.
    I am a UL Access Student Ambassador and an Access Peer Mentor and have been since returning from Co-op placement over 2 years ago.
    I do all of this on a voluntary basis, in order to pass on my experiences and assistance to new students. I believe that these leadership qualities will help me succeed in the role of PSA President.
    I am approachable, and listen to all difficulties and problems and will attempt to rectify these to the best of my ability.
    Please vote David Morrin No.1 for PSA President.

Policies

Longer Library opening hours during the summer months:
    Because postgrad theses are due at the beginning of a new academic year in September, I will strive to get longer opening hours in the library. It closing at 5-6pm is not fair on postgrad students who need access to the resources at a time when they need it most. Looking to gain 24 hour library access is unrealistic. However, I will strive to achieve longer opening hours.
    Greater integration of research and taught postgrads in the PSA:
    I will ensure that concerns of both research and taught postgrads are represented within the PSA. I will do a recruitment drive to get class reps from taught classes as we are greatly underrepresented in this area, and encourage all research postgrads to voice their opinions regularly as well as look for Research Postgraduates to become reps for research postgrads as the issues will vary between taught and research postgrads.

Increase awareness of the PSA and other postgrad opportunities:
    Last year numerous initiatives such as the Dragon’s Den competition held by the Entrepreneurship class went unnoticed by the UL campus. I will strongly promote postgrad activities in local media and also in An Focal by working with the SU’s Communications Officer. I have experience in this area, and last year, I promoted Earth Hour on 2FM, Limerick 95FM, and Spin South West as well as 3 local newspapers.

Increase Feedback for students:
    I will work with faculty heads to attempt to get greater levels of feedback for students on all aspects of their college work. I feel that this will be beneficial for the overall learning experience for students.

Increased facilities for postgrad students:

I will ensure that postgrads have access to adequate facilities and resources, such as office space, printers and meeting rooms. For example currently, there is no printer in the KBS postgrad lab which I believe is unacceptable, especially after I fought for 7 weeks to even get it opened for students last semester. I will also attempt to get a photocopier installed in either the KBS or Schuman, as it’s unfair on students who spend the majority of their time there to have to traipse to the Library or SU to photocopy.
    In addition to this in these economic times I will make sure that existing student services are not diminished, services such as the Medical centre, counselling services are all very important to students and need to be maintained.

The current economic times have seen an increase in the number of Post Grads applying for and attaining positions here. This will make finding suitable housing harder to find and I will work with the Accomodation service to make sure that Postgrads do not have to live in substandard student housing. In addition security off campus is very low and I will work with the campaigns and services officer to improve this situation.

Student Supports - we have seen that some postgrad classes are already feeling the pinch with a lack of adequate support structures, some not even receiving tutorials when they have been asked for. As postgrad president I will strive to ensure that you will get all the help that you need to make your time in UL a successful one.

Open the KBS at weekends:

This building is open for classes at weekends, and yet students of the University are unable to access it. I hope to rectify this situation, and enable students to avail of the facilities on offer there from 9am – 5pm on both Saturdays and Sundays during term time.
    Ensure fewer consecutive exams:
    An issue which was raised this year was students having to sit 3 exams in a row. This wasn’t acceptable for most classes in undergraduate courses, and is definitely unacceptable for postgrad students. If elected I will ensure that students have fewer consecutive exams.

Work in conjunction with the other SU Officers:
    Even though the PSA is a separate entity to the SU, I think a solid working relationship needs to be developed between the two parties. This will aid the transition of 4th year students, who move into postgraduate study in UL as they then have greater awareness of the PSA.

Employability:
    Given the current economic climate, developing greater awareness of opportunities for postgrads is important. I will work with the Careers Office to ensure this continues.

Faculty Days:
    If elected, I will run faculty days in the PSA Common Room whereby each faculty will have the opportunity to mix and mingle with each other while enjoying some music and drinks further increasing the university experience

All comments are appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Hey everyone,

If you would like to join in my campaign or even show your support, you can check out my Campaign Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=118872328123429

/QUOTE]

For those of you not on Facebook : http://davidmorrin4psa.webs.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eadaoin Walsh

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the good luck wishes lads - the same right back at you.

My election page is here

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eadaoin-Walsh-for-PSA-President/108660312507102?ref=ts

so have a read and see if you like my ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Best of luck to all involved, where will the voting be on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eadaoin Walsh

The voting will be in the PSA Common Room from 10 am til around 8 pm in the evening, on Monday. We will also have hustings at 2 o'clock if you would like to hear what all of us have to say and ask us some questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

3 votes for Mossin

Good luck with it Dave, hope you get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I have a number of questions for the candidates with regard to research students.

1. How do you plan to communicate/support with research students who do not have a faculty representative?

2. What will your policy be towards teaching/demonstration hours and lack of renumeration for this work?

3. Will you introduce a system for assiting students where their funding has ended but are required to pay fees/support themselves regardless?

4. How do you plan to increase the participation of research students in the running of the PSA/ULSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Good luck with the election Dave. You'd make a fine PSA President.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 flowers11

From what I've seen around campus Ryan Dan Comerford appears to be the only one making a real and genuine effort to win the election, which in my opinion can only be a good indication of his future commitment to the job as President of the PSA if elected, I for one will be giving him my No 1 Vote, !! Best of luck to all involved!

flowers11 wrote: »
    From what I've seen around campus Ryan Dan Comerford appears to be the only one making a real and genuine effort to win the election, which in my opinion can only be a good indication of his future commitment to the job as President of the PSA if elected, I for one will be giving him my No 1 Vote, !! Best of luck to all involved!

I am fully committed to winning this election, however, I also am committed to getting my 1.1 masters degree at the same time. So forgive me for being a little slow off the mark with my posters and manifesto.

EDIT: I will try answer the questions posed in an earlier post later tonight when I return home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ClaireLarkin

Ryan Dan is a Legend, Campaign is solid too, id vote for him hands down!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

I am fully committed to winning this election, however, I also am committed to getting my 1.1 masters degree at the same time. So forgive me for being a little slow off the mark with my posters and manifesto.

EDIT: I will try answer the questions posed in an earlier post later tonight when I return home

well if you can't juggle campaigning with studies now what do you plan to do next year if you're plate is full and you're actually elected?

Saw Ryan around the canteen today, great to see people out if they actually want something, thats one up for him anyway, we'll see if the other candidates can change my mind come monday

crinkley wrote: »
    well if you can't juggle campaigning with studies now what do you plan to do next year if you're plate is full and you're actually elected?

Saw Ryan around the canteen today, great to see people out if they actually want something, thats one up for him anyway, we'll see if the other candidates can change my mind come monday

I have been juggling a part-time job, peer mentoring of 1st years, student ambassador duties and my course work since september, so I am well capable of handling a workload.

Also, I never said I couldnt juggle both. I said I am fully committed to both my college degree and the election. I was just a little slow off the mark as I was just back from a wedding on Sunday afternoon, and had a bucket load of work to catch-up as I had been away from Thursday [that is also the reason I only submitted my nomination on Monday].

Gladly now I have caught-up with the majority of my workload, and can focus equally on both efforts.

As for not being seen around the place, I have class from 9-5pm on Wednesdays, but I shall be making an appearance in the canteen tomorrow at lunch-time.

Haven't seen as much as one poster yet for the Eadaoin girl who is apparantly running, makes me question somewhat if she's even serious about it if she's not willing to put visible effort into a campaign yet. I spoke to two girls who were up in the canteen representing Ryan Dan today, looked like they were pulling in the people anyway...he seems to have a big campaign team behind him by the looks of things. As people have said, visibility means a lot especially when you don't know any of the candidates personally and to be honest it is indicative of the effort they are putting in. Should be a fun week!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

Having been around UL for many years, it's great to see a challenge for PSA prez!

it is worrying that only one candidate is so far visible on campus, and I am seriously doubtful about some of the ideas/plans in some of the manifesto's..... looks like people haven't done their homework in some camps....

Comerford looking like the strongest candidate so far anyway. Know him pretty well, and I know he is a great guy, and would be a very dedicated PSA President.

Best of luck to all involved,

Ryan Dan to win!

MORRINS ON THE ROAD!!!!!

HE WILL BE IN RED RAISINS TOMMORROW AT 1pm TO MEET AND GREET AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE FOR HIM..... COME UP TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT OR IF YOUR NOT CONVINCED ASK HIM ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE!!!!!

If you miss him he will be in the CUBE on friday at 1pm to answer any questions you may have!!!

@MrMoe..... he will be on to you in the morning... I think you will see why tomorrow, we've had a very busy evening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 flowers11

Fair enough, however I'm sure the other two candidates are as equally dedicated to their postgraduate degrees,! no animosity was intended in the post!! best of luck anyways! :)

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I have a number of questions for the candidates with regard to research students.

1. How do you plan to communicate/support with research students who do not have a faculty representative?

I hope to ensure that all postgrads have a voice in the PSA. I feel that this is the only way to adequately address all the issues that exist.
    I will run a recruitment drive where I will encourage all research postgrads to get involved. If they dont have a faculty rep. I will work with each faculty by creating regular meetings [2-3 per semester at least] to ensure that they are heard.
    I will also create forum space whereby views can be expressed and I will regularly review this space and act accordingly.
    2. What will your policy be towards teaching/demonstration hours and lack of renumeration for this work?

Currently there is an issue with rates of pay of postgrads who are in employment within the University, with some being paid €45 per hour and others paid absolutely nothing.
    I will work with faculty heads and devise a system where all postgrad teaching will receive remuneration. Even in these poor economic times, it is unrealistic to ask students to work for free.
    3. Will you introduce a system for assisting students where their funding has ended but are required to pay fees/support themselves regardless?

I will work with each individual case in this instance, and I will work with the SU Welfare Officer to devise a suitable and appropriate course of action.
    4. How do you plan to increase the participation of research students in the running of the PSA/ULSU?

I will run a recruitment drive to get research postgrads more involved. I believe that their input is vital if I want to address all postgraduate concerns. I will offer incentives such as faculty days, which will get research students into where the PSA.
    I will also hold meetings for research postgrads in order to encourage them to participate.
    Ideally I would like research postgrads on the Executive, and this is something that I will strive to achieve.

Currently there is an issue with rates of pay of postgrads who are in employment within the University, with some being paid €45 per hour and others paid absolutely nothing.
    I will work with faculty heads and devise a system where all postgrad teaching will receive remuneration. Even in these poor economic times, it is unrealistic to ask students to work for free.

To be honest, the way things currently are, this is not going to be achieved. I'm no expert, but as far as I know, it is predominantly people undertaking taught masters programmes for example in the business/law faculties that are paid in the region of 35-45e per tutorial. In the main, it is the research postgrads some of whom are being funded by various scholarships who are required to teach a certain number of hours and must do so in order to fulfill requirements. While it is extremely tough and unfortunate on those who are not being funded, I'm failing to see how a university riddled with debt is going to be able to pay more people who are not currently on the payroll..it's just not realistic but I wish it was.

To be honest, the way things currently are, this is not going to be achieved. I'm no expert, but as far as I know, it is predominantly people undertaking taught masters programmes for example in the business/law faculties that are paid in the region of 35-45e per tutorial. In the main, it is the research postgrads some of whom are being funded by various scholarships who are required to teach a certain number of hours and must do so in order to fulfill requirements. While it is extremely tough and unfortunate on those who are not being funded, I'm failing to see how a university riddled with debt is going to be able to pay more people who are not currently on the payroll..it's just not realistic but I wish it was.

So you propose ignoring the situation? Nothing Ventured, Nothing gained. At least the issue has arrisen and will be discussed - David will push the issue forward and while it may be difficult to achieve at least he isn't going in with a defeatest attitude towards it.

You have to admit that it is unfair that some receive around €40 while others recieve nothing and it is something that needs to be addressed.

• Advertisement

DJCR wrote: »
    So you propose ignoring the situation? Nothing Ventured, Nothing gained. At least the issue has arrisen and will be discussed - David will push the issue forward and while it may be difficult to achieve at least he isn't going in with a defeatest attitude towards it.

You have to admit that it is unfair that some receive around €40 while others recieve nothing and it is something that needs to be addressed.

I didn't state at any point that the situation should be ignored and it hasn't been for the last few years, wuite the contrary, but I stand by what I said that it's not going to be rectified so that everyone is receiving 40e or whatever per tutorial....it's just not feasible. I also said that it was totally unfair that some are being paid and others arent :) but that seems to largely be down to the structure of some of the specific funded phd scholarships where students are required the teach a certain no of hours or do so at maths/science learning centres etc. If you're looking at it like that, one could also say then that it is unfair how taught students who don't receive a grant have to pay full fees wheres the research postgrads who receive funding (which is a pretty large percent) don't. I would love if all students who are teaching were renumerated for it, but I just think that it's a tad unrealistic to focues on something pretty unattainable when there is so much more to direct attention to. :)

Advertisement