Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA Election

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ryandan

:DRyan Dan Comerford
    P.S.A. President
    Manifesto
    My background
    Hey! I’m Ryan Dan Comerford, currently doing an M.A. in Business Management with an undergrad in BSc in Industrial Biochemistry also from the University of Limerick. I’m running to be YOUR P.S.A. President because I want to help post graduate students to get the best of student life in this fantastic university. From my experiences of five years of university life here in U.L I feel that I am fully capable of improving the P.S.A. to meet the needs of the ever increasing number of post grads, both research and taught.
    My past experiences

o Having served as a class representative for two years I have a great knowledge of both the positives and the negatives facing students. I dealt with issues arising from exam and lecture timetables, to difficulties with staff, to issues with accommodation. I also organised events such as class parties, clothing, and trips around the country. I acted not only for my individual class members but my class, faculty and year. I am aware of the running of the Students Union and its Sabbatical team.

o I have been and currently am involved in clubs and societies for the past five years and have acted as president, treasurer, and first year representative and events officer. From this involvement I have made critical contacts with the various funding bodies available to students. This year alone I have brought the Out in UL society to new heights and using my leadership and management skills I organised, promoted and implemented the largest intervarsity events that the society has ever seen. Within the society I had the experience of dealing with many welfare issues and concerns facing students.

o This year I am a resident assistant (R.A.) in Kilmurry student village where I assist the village manager and liaise with campus security to ensure the well being of approx 530 students residing in the village. Here I am employed by Plassey Campus Centre (P.C.C.) and they are the organisation that manage and maintain all on-campus student accommodation and the licences in the University such as the Stables. In this position I have made contacts with all the P.C.C. management team, the accommodation office, the Counselling Services and the Buildings department.

o I am currently seeking an increase in the availability of PG accommodation and I am confident that I will secure their commitment to such. I have spoken with P.C.C. to ensure this. I am also looking for yearlong leases for the academic year and summer period for on-campus post grads as the majority of post grads stay around for the summer doing research or thesis. They are willing to work alongside me to ensure this. I intend to work alongside the Accommodation office and P.C.C. and ensure that good quality housing is reassured.

o This year working alongside the P.S.A. and the equality committee, we managed to raise a sensitive issue regarding the Irish Blood Transfusion Service and bring it to the national stage through the Limerick Post, the Independent and Daily Star newspapers. I have been interviewed a number of times this matter also by fellow students and journalists. This is a major achievement and something that we should all be proud of.

o I have made many great connections throughout my 5 years in the university, from fellow students, Sabbatical Officers, Students Union, Clubs and Societies, Plassey Campus Centre, Campus Security, Counselling Services, Student Academic, Access Office, Scholars, Stables and various funding bodies.

You deserve a better standard of Representation, Entertainments and Services, and as your P.S.A. President I know I can provide these. I believe that from my past experiences and the connections I have made I can be a successful P.S.A. president and bring about a fantastic new year.

My aims should I be elected as YOUR P.S.A. President.
    o Represent the post graduate students in all matters relating to their university experience. (Welfare, services, entertainment to name a few)

o Communicate and liaise with all post grads students and all bodies concerned with the post graduate experience.

o Promote the P.S.A. not only throughout the university but on a national and international level.
    My policies
    Upon my decision to go forward for the P.S.A. nominations I decided to carry out research on post grads to see what you really want and need, not what I think you want or need. I held individual meetings with post grad students ranging from taught to post grad in a mixture of faculties. Here is what needs to be resolved in the P.S.A.
    All these following points are achievable and not empty promises which cannot be delivered.

Facilities & services:
    It is essential that the services offered by the university are utilised by those who require it. (E.g. Careers, Counselling, Medical, Accommodation, Funding) By making students aware of these facilities and services, it’ll make university life less problematic. Due to serious cuts in funding right across the board and its effect on all students I am not going to promise you anything that is not achievable.

Taught:
    o The post grad study room is simply awful. It is a cold, uncomfortable and an unwelcoming environment. It is my intention to refurbish it in order to create a pleasant atmosphere, making the room more conducive to postgraduate level study to compare with other national universities. I would also safe guard the room to post grad students only permitted to enter the room.
    o Furthermore, The Kemmy Business School is in desperate need of a postgraduate photocopying area.
    o The P.S.A. common room needs more furniture and more sterile utensils.

Research:
    o The foundation building needs a place where the post graduate researchers can meet to enjoy coffee or a meal. As a solution, I would like to see a common purpose area provided, complete with microwave, kettle, fridge and toaster.
    o The air conditioning system in the foundation building needs sorting out by setting at a temperature that promotes effective study and a comfortable environment.
    o A reorganisation of the desks in the foundation into faculty areas will promote communications and increase contact for researchers who are left alone and isolated often without knowing anyone.

Representation:
    o I want to increase contact between all class reps, faculty reps and the P.S.A., to increase awareness of the association and ensure that post grads are heard and listened to.
    o I intend to coordinate regular specific meetings between all post graduate reps and the P.S.A. to ensure that all matters regarding post grads are communicated and resolved.
    o I want to encourage every class to have adequate representation to ensure that every taught post grads has a voice and get what they deserve.
    o I want there to be a faculty rep for every research faculty to ensure that research post grads aren’t ignored like they are at the moment.
    o Ideally, I would like the inclusion officer to be a research post graduate to bring the whole community of taught and researchers together to create greater post graduate community and culture.
    o Due to the fact the UL P.S.A. is one of only two P.S.A. in the country with Trinity College Dublin being the other; I intend to liaise with Trinity at a greater frequency.
    o I am fortunate to have worked with the current Sabbatical Officers in the Students Union and as many of them have been re-elected I will continue to have a good working relationship with them.

Orientation:
    o At the moment the orientation is either non-existent or ineffective. Good quality orientation is so important. The orientation process is currently suiting undergraduate students and not Post grads. From my experiences the people doing orientation are not aware of the services and facilities specifically aware to post grads; we are left in the cold. I intend to work closer with the orientation team to ensure that the guides are fully aware of such.
    o I intend to lobby the buildings department to increase the signage around the campus for the first few weeks to show students where buildings are located until they are fully acquainted with the campus layout. ALL post grads need to be shown where and how to utilise the facilities offered to post grads. (Computer labs, library facilities, common room, canteens and other services offered by the university.)
    o Under my direction, I intend to develop and introduce a post grads orientation booklet to inform students about the campus, the city for social hot-spots, shops and amenities to alleviate the transposition from other universities.
    o It is unacceptable that many research post grads are joining the university throughout the academic year without receiving an orientation whatsoever! It is imperative that each faculty has designated students whom I can contact to meet, greet and introduce the new researcher to the campus and make their transition to college life easier.

Social:
    o I firmly believe that post grads need a good social life. A lot of post grads are feeling isolated and lonely. More events & activities are needed to facilitate a good social environment. Under my leadership, I envisage faculty nights out, mystery tours, more wine receptions, meet and greets and non-alcoholic events for both research and taught post grads.
    o I intend to introduce a post grads graduation ball for those graduating in January. Friday night is Post grad night and let’s keep it that way; by increasing the quality of the events, this will encourage post grads to stay around at weekends and in turn encourage a better post grads atmosphere.
    o Many post grads are unaware of the great work of clubs and societies and how beneficial it can be to get involved. I intend to bring clubs and societies (CnS) into mainstream post graduate life. CnS is a great opportunity to meet new people in an inexpensive manner, and fully reap the rewards of being a member of clubs and societies.

Finance:
    The University is facing serious cut backs so finance is of upmost importance.
    o I intend to lobby the university for more part-time jobs and employment opportunities and for the jobs to go through the P.S.A. to be advertised to the post grads first using the P.S.A. website.
    o Students should be aware of various funding opportunities (e.g. scholarships) and unfortunately are not as aware as they should. I want to bring awareness to these funding opportunities in the hope that post grads will avail of them.
    o I want to build and increase communications with MABS. This is a free service that aids those in financial need.
    o Increase awareness of part-time jobs in and around campus by advertising jobs on P.S.A. website. As I am fortunate to have worked with and made links to those who matter (e.g. P.C.C.) I can be the first call of point of many vacancies in the college. (E.g. invigilators, residential assistants, disability assistants, conferences and grinds.)
    o The Grinds Forum which was setup and developed by our current P.S.A. President and Education Officer is a great way to tackle the need for extra funding for post grads and the declining number of under grad tutorials. I have spoken with next year’s Education Officer and if elected we intend to increase students knowledge of the forum and in turn help ALL students.
    o After discussions with various research post grads it was brought to my attention that this is an issue with payment for tutorials. I understand that it is in the contract of each researcher has committed to. However some receive payment while others do not. There needs to be a Standardise fees across tutorials.

If after reading my manifesto you have any thoughts then please contact me. I am only happy to help and greatly appreciate your feedback. After all I am hoping to represent YOU. I can be contacted on my facebook page (Ryan Dan Comerford for P.S.A. President) on ryandancom@live.ie or alternatively if you see me around campus.

All I ask of YOU is to vote Ryan Dan Comerford Number 1 on Election Day (i.e. Monday 19th, week 12).
    Voting to take place in the P.S.A. Common room.

This is in response to a question that was left on my stall in the red raisens canteen today. Firstly thanks for asking a question as I enjoy giving feedback. I am here to show you why I am suited to be your PSA. I too am very conscious of litter around the campus and the environment.

What can I do about litter around the college and River Shannon??
    I intend to address this issue by forming a committee between the PSA and Buildings Dept. The buildings Dept are the ones responsible for this and with my support they will do a better job.

In my duties as a residential assistant in Kilmurry Village, there are cases where students have to do community service. In this instance they would do a litter pick to ensure that litter is reduced while also teaching the offenders a positive lesson not do litter.

For those of you who are concerned about my paper usage in my campaign I intend to recycle the paper once the elections have finished.

Once again thanks for showing interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I didn't state at any point that the situation should be ignored and it hasn't been for the last few years, wuite the contrary, but I stand by what I said that it's not going to be rectified so that everyone is receiving 40e or whatever per tutorial....it's just not feasible. I also said that it was totally unfair that some are being paid and others arent :) but that seems to largely be down to the structure of some of the specific funded phd scholarships where students are required the teach a certain no of hours or do so at maths/science learning centres etc. If you're looking at it like that, one could also say then that it is unfair how taught students who don't receive a grant have to pay full fees wheres the research postgrads who receive funding (which is a pretty large percent) don't. I would love if all students who are teaching were renumerated for it, but I just think that it's a tad unrealistic to focues on something pretty unattainable when there is so much more to direct attention to. :)

Teaching/demonstrating for research students takes up a large proportion of their time. I would say that that is a pretty significant aspect of postgraduate life that should be looked at. There is a discrepancy where postgraduate students in some areas do not have to teach/demonstrate while others do. Teaching/demonstartion duties for research students generally have no bearing on their research work. It is not unusual for other work to be carried out on top of this such as working with and assiting FYP students. While you can make the argument that there is no money to pay postgraduates , we gain absolutely no recognition for doing such work at the cost of a huge amont of our time that could be better spent else where. Most postgraduates have no official training in teaching/education and yet are thrust into supervision/eductaion duties. This is something positive that could be developed. Official recognition of the teaching work carried out my postgraduate students. This could be an aspect to promote for the university . As far as I can see this is an opportunity for both the University and the student population (undergraduate + postgraduate) to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 flowers11

DJCR wrote: »
    So you propose ignoring the situation? Nothing Ventured, Nothing gained. At least the issue has arrisen and will be discussed - David will push the issue forward and while it may be difficult to achieve at least he isn't going in with a defeatest attitude towards it.

You have to admit that it is unfair that some receive around €40 while others recieve nothing and it is something that needs to be addressed.

This is a severely pointlesss argument, Research Postgrads already receive a fair renumeration from the University in exchange for their time teaching which I might add is another valuable asset to possess TEACHING EXPERIENCE for which I'm sure they all benefit from on top of the funds which they receive, I think seeking additional funds for this is criminal considering the college is already financially crippled, some people need to cop on on be realistic, empty promises of the highest degree on this motive for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I didn't state at any point that the situation should be ignored and it hasn't been for the last few years, wuite the contrary, but I stand by what I said that it's not going to be rectified so that everyone is receiving 40e or whatever per tutorial....it's just not feasible. I also said that it was totally unfair that some are being paid and others arent :) but that seems to largely be down to the structure of some of the specific funded phd scholarships where students are required the teach a certain no of hours or do so at maths/science learning centres etc. If you're looking at it like that, one could also say then that it is unfair how taught students who don't receive a grant have to pay full fees wheres the research postgrads who receive funding (which is a pretty large percent) don't. I would love if all students who are teaching were renumerated for it, but I just think that it's a tad unrealistic to focues on something pretty unattainable when there is so much more to direct attention to. :)
    flowers11 wrote: »
    This is a severely pointlesss argument, Research Postgrads already receive a fair renumeration from the University in exchange for their time teaching which I might add is another valuable asset to possess TEACHING EXPERIENCE for which I'm sure they all benefit from on top of the funds which they receive, I think seeking additional funds for this is criminal considering the college is already financially crippled, some people need to cop on on be realistic, empty promises of the highest degree on this motive for sure!
    Mrmoe wrote: »
    Teaching/demonstrating for research students takes up a large proportion of their time. I would say that that is a pretty significant aspect of postgraduate life that should be looked at. There is a discrepancy where postgraduate students in some areas do not have to teach/demonstrate while others do. Teaching/demonstartion duties for research students generally have no bearing on their research work. It is not unusual for other work to be carried out on top of this such as working with and assiting FYP students. While you can make the argument that there is no money to pay postgraduates , we gain absolutely no recognition for doing such work at the cost of a huge amont of our time that could be better spent else where. Most postgraduates have no official training in teaching/education and yet are thrust into supervision/eductaion duties. This is something positive that could be developed. Official recognition of the teaching work carried out my postgraduate students. This could be an aspect to promote for the university . As far as I can see this is an opportunity for both the University and the student population (undergraduate + postgraduate) to grasp.

I needn't say much more you have two points of view there.

Also teaching experience is extreemly valuable It would be silly to argue against this) but what of those who have:

a) no interest in teaching during their studies (due to time) or
    b) no interest in teaching after they finish

pretty useless experience all around (no matter how benificial if they wished to continue in education).

In fact many undergrads/postgrads have issues with the standard of tutorial teaching. Demotivated Tutors (through lack of pay/ other interests) doesn't help.

Untrained Tutors, as is the case in most cases doesn't help either (undergrad/postgrad classes) as well as the confidence level of the tutor who is trying to continue their own studies as well.

So while the money issue is a big one you can see that there are other issues a well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Today is election day.

Polls open at 10am and will remain open until 8pm.

Polling station is in the PSA Common Room.

Hustings are at 12pm in the Stables Courtyard.

I encourage all posrgrads to come out and vote.

I'd like to wish Eadaoin and Ryan Dan all the best today, and lets hope its a good election.

Hey ALL,

As Mossin has already said. PSA Presidential Elections today.

I strongly urge all Post Grads to come out into the good weather and vote for YOUR PSA President.

I would like to wish David and Eadaoin the very best of luck today.

Right guys it looks likes this is going to be a really close one.

Voting is quite slow... say its just over the 100 mark now so every vote counts!!!!

Please come out and vote:

DAVID MORRIN NO.1 FOR PSA PRESIDENT

At the end of an exhausting day the result is out.

Dan Comerford won the election by (as per usual with a Post Grad vote [when there is one]) the narrowest of margins.

I would personally like to congratulate him on his victory, he's a good guy and I wish him all the best next year!!!

Thanks to everyone who got involved!!!!

Hey guys

I'm going to keep this short and sweet because I could honestly be here for the day thanking people.

Thanks to all who were involved in campaigning, voting and helping out for all 3 candidates. (there is a lot of ye). it was great to see so many get involved.

I had a great team behind me and I wouldn't have been elected only for ye. LEGENDS. I really appreciate it.

Finally, I really have to put it to the other two candidates David Morrin and Eadaoin Walsh for all their efforts and committment to their campaigns. It was great to see how the three of us got along so wel and even after the count yesterday. It has been an honour to run against ye. I wish ye both the very best of luck and will hopefully see ye around more often.

I'm off and be sure to say hi if ye see me around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Congratulations to Ryan Dan on his victory yesterday.

It was a close election and that made the day exhausting.

I'd like to thank my campaign team especially my campaign manager DJCR who worked tirelessly for me over the past week.

I really appreciated the help and support given by him and all everyone else.

Once again, congratulations to Ryan Dan, I'm positive that he'll do a great job as PSA President!

Advertisement