Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are carriageway widths on Irish motorways narrower than those in the UK?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Storm2 wrote: »
    And so, in the wake of the Batman shootings, some bright spark suggests we issue shotguns to drivers. I think I need to inspect your brain. :rolleyes:
    When he posted that way back in 2010, said shootings hadn't taken place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And so, in the wake of the Batman shootings, some bright spark suggests we issue shotguns to drivers. I think I need to inspect your brain. :rolleyes:

You may want to avoid bouncing threads last posted in ~28 months ago, or at least check the dates before doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Storm2

I only noticed his post was from 2010 after my sarcastic comment. How Irish.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MYOB wrote: »
    You may want to avoid bouncing threads last posted in ~28 months ago, or at least check the dates before doing so.
    What harm? Interesting thread. I for one am happy it was bumped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

BluntGuy wrote: »
    The Irish lanes always felt good and wide to me. The only thing that ever made the road feel narrow was the proximity of the central concrete barrier, but you get over that very quickly.

Also the position of the cats' eyes make the 1st lane feel very narrow. Why are the cats' eyes actually on the lane? If you're on a bus it's a bumpy ride as the bus cannot fit entirely in the lane without driving over them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

To the OP,

I've been to the UK a good few times and the carriageway widths for motorways on both sides of the pond are about the same.

All the best,

PB18:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

MT wrote: »
    But when the UK's system is seen to work why bother reinventing the wheel?
    Well if the UK spec. is so good how do you explain the M90 in Scotland where good portions of it have NO hard shoulder at all! The only motorway I have ever been on anywhere, not to have a hard shoulder. (Except in a tunnel!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭nordydan

Well if the UK spec. is so good how do you explain the M90 in Scotland where good portions of it have NO hard shoulder at all! The only motorway I have ever been on anywhere, not to have a hard shoulder.

Except the port tunnel of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Other parts of the M50 have no shoulder, between r110 and N4.
    Also M1 above Broadmeadow estuary

Advertisement