Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a rack for my car

• 12-04-2010 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a car rack for my bike.

BUT i think i'll need one for a car and a jeep.

I have a passat and an x trail.

The x trail has a tow bar and i've been told one to go with that might be best but the passat doesn't have a tow bar.

I think i might be better just getting one for the x trail and picking up one for the passat later in the year.

Any advice or links would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I have a four bike rack that sits onto the tow bar and by far its the best one I ever had.Bikes are well secured on and it can hold 4 heavy bikes (brought MTB bikes to Italy and back last year without an issue). It a Thule and we got it from Wiggle but strangley enough we had to buy the 'lock' for it (Highly recommended and advised) fro Evans. I had one of those strappy ones before that and the towbar one is a much better option.
    Would buying one of these and putting a tow bar onto the passat be an option
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Thule_9708_HangOn_4_Bike_Towball_Carrier/5360036133/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Or, if you already have roof-bars for the passat, you might consider a roof-mount rack. I've used two racks alongside a roof-box and a strap-on rear rack (like driving a hedgehog). Definately prefer the roof-mounts both for being better mounted and for rear-visibility.

I picked up cheap roof-mount racks in Decathlon on the holidays in France for about EUR12 each. Don't use them that often and they've worked well for me.

I also made up bars for the small trailer so I can lash the bikes on there...

You could then decide whether to use the same on the X-trail or buy the ball-mount rack too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Burgess5

I recommend the a rack that fits onto the ball hitch. They are simple to mount and hold the bike very securely. No problem lifting bikes onto a roof rack etc.However when I changed my car about a year ago my newer car didn't have a hitch and getting one fitted on a Jetta is about €400. I ended up buying a rack in Halfords for about €90. It clips onto the boot and seems solid enough. It may not fit my next car, but that won't be for a few years.In summary as you have a vehicle with a hitch I'd get a rack that mounts on that - should cost under €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

going to focus on the ball hitch one for my x trail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

A simple two bike ball hitch carrier is the best in my opinion.
    It takes less than 5 seconds to put on, and is totally secure.
    You still need a couple of bungees however, but it's extra security!
    They also fold up quite small, so don't take up much room in the boot.
    Finally, they only are in contact with the ball hitch, and no part of the actual car is touched, which is a bonus for me!

Advertisement