Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Welfare & Income Tax

• 12-04-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi

I was made unemployed in December 08. With jobs in short supply I decide to be pro-active and register myself as self employed and try to see if I could build up some work for myself.
    I registered as self employed in Jan 09
    I blew all my savings on advertising and buying myself a few tools I needed but I picked up little to no work.
    In April 09 after 3 months of little to no income I went to the social welfare to find out where I stood. They were very kind and helpful and told me that I could remain self employed and claim for any days where I had no work.
    As it turns out practically every day since has had no work so I have been claiming my Job Seekers benefit while registered as self employed.

Now it comes to me filling in my Tax return for the year 09, my question is do I include all the social welfare I have claim as taxable income?
    I'm presuming it is yes but I am now worried that I will get a tax bill that I can't pay.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

yes you include the social welfare income as receipts, but you can also claim the PAYE tax credit against the solcial welfare, which along with your own personal tax credits should wipe out most of the liability.
    There will still be a minimum PRSI contribution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

Cheers Bookkeeper09.
    Will the minimum PRSI contribution scare me half to death?
    I should de-register totally but then will be without any money at all while I reapply for Job seekers Allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

PRSI minimum is €253

That €252 more than I got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Do you know any friendly accountants?

The cost of the tools can be offset against any income which from the looks of it, there is none.

There may be no minimum PRSI as you are under the income thresholds for PRSI Contributions to apply me guesses which is 3,174

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/prsi_selfemp.aspx#6

applies

• Advertisement

Hi guys

If I were to de-register as self employed could I back date my de-registration to when i last had work? or even to the end of 09 so I won't have a tax return for 2010

Advertisement