Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Midweek Evening Spin Tues or Wed

• 12-04-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Anyone up for an evening spin.

TUES or WED.

Time: 5,30pm
    Circa 3hours.

Either Kildare (from Phoenix Pk)
    Or
    Dublin/Wicklow Mts (from M50 bridge in Dundrum/Lamb Doyle).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you decide Wicklow then I will head out. Wednesday rather than tuesday for me. Just letting you know which day/route I prefer, don't let it influence your final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Do anyone do these spins over on the Northside ?

Like leaving from Swords/Portmarnock ??

dario28 wrote: »

There is nothing stopping you doing what ROK ON just did and trying to organize one yourself.

If you build it, they will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

dario28 wrote: »

Myself (sometimes) and Rob Fowl and another non boardsie head out on a Thursday afternoon but now the long warm summer evenings* are here maybe an evening trip to Howth from Nth County and stopping in Starbucks in Malahide for a coffe en route home may not be far away

*hope I havent poxed it by saying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

Could be up for a spin on wednesday evening, dont mind where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

dario28 wrote:

I find it hard to get time in the evening but I have been heading out for early morning spins in this area on the way to work. Leaving Baldoyle about 7.30 and heading via Portmarnock coast road to Lispopple or further north before heading back into town.
    bcmf wrote: »
    stopping in Starbucks in Malahide for a coffee en route home

So who carries the locks? Mine adds 2.5kg and the rest of ye seem to carry nothing...

cdaly_ wrote: »

So who carries the locks? Mine adds 2.5kg and the rest of ye seem to carry nothing...
    LOCKS!!! :eek:
    If we go to the trouble of getting all euro'd up we aint sitting indoors. Outside on the street seats posing is where we drink our espresso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Outside on the street seats posing is where we drink our espresso

Ciao.

Raam wrote: »
    Ciao.
    boungiorno sgnr Raam. Come Sta!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

maybe an evening trip to Howth from Nth County and stopping in Starbucks in Malahide for a coffe en route home may not be far away

Let me know if you have one of these planned - I would like to try and meet up with you from work (just off Malahide Road, near Clare Hall), and could then head back to to DCN with you.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Let me know if you have one of these planned - I would like to try and meet up with you from work (just off Malahide Road, near Clare Hall), and could then head back to to DCN with you.

FYI: you should both be tapering for your hill climb TT on Wednesday ;)

ehhh I cant do this Hill TT as .......(thinks of good excuse) my missus is away to Barcelona for a few days so I am unable to find a suitable babysitter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tapering - what's that?

I'm going for a record commute home tonight.

I'm also not convinced this RobFowl guy exists. I think he's just an internet creation, orchestrated by bcmf. Every time I turn up for a spin when he says he will be there, he gets some mysterious "plumbing" problem (or the like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Ahem.
    Can ye Swords lads all feck off back to DNS and talk about ye're coffee and hills elsewhere.
    BTW, if its Starbucks coffee that ye imbibe ye have a helluva a lot to learn about being Euro, regardless of how smooth ye're legs are :-)

Ahem, the word "ye" is almost certainly the least Euro sounding word of all time.

On DNS we prefer "yisser", or so I was told in preparation school.

oh he exists alright. Just ask Ivana (or whatever her name is) in the High Quality Eaterie we went to after Tour de Foothills.
    And his plumbing problem was his heating oil had run out and I had to restart his boiler. He will have the 'other' plumbing problems when he hits a certain age in a few months

ROK ON wrote: »
    Ahem.
    Can ye Swords lads all feck off back to DNS and talk about ye're coffee and hills elsewhere.
    BTW, if its Starbucks coffee that ye imbibe ye have a helluva a lot to learn about being Euro, regardless of how smooth ye're legs are :-)

you know there is other places to cycle other then Wicklow.

In realtion to Starbucks: its the best place to 'pose' sit outdoors looking onto the Marina in Malahide. It has NOTHING to do with the quality of the coffee.

In realtion to Starbucks: its the best place to 'pose' sit outdoors looking onto the Marina in Malahide. It has NOTHING to do with the quality of the coffee.

The coffee in there is muck anyway, but yes, it is a nice place to sit.

Yes there is. Kildare as I mentioned is one of them.
    Just ask yourself, how Euro is posing outside a US chain that sells the worst coffee known to mankind.
    I'd rather pose outside Burdocks and not be deluding myself.

• Advertisement

To be honest, the best place to be posing outside of is Il Panorama in Howth. Now they do good coffee.

To be honest, the best place to be posing outside of is Il Panorama in Howth. Now they do good coffee.

Right Il Panorama in Howth it is.

This going ahead?

I'll be heading out tomorrow evening for a spin of some sort or other.

not for me.maybe nxt week

Mosiki wrote: »
    This going ahead?

I'll be heading out tomorrow evening for a spin of some sort or other.

I hope to head out tomorrow. Was out tonite up by Enniskerry. Lot of cyclists. However I thought it was freezing cold. Am home 90mins and still cold. Not yet warm enough for short sleeve and shorts.
    Will bring base layer long sleeve and knee warmers tomorrow.

I'll be putting a light on too just in case its needed (unlikely though).

If leaving Dundrum at 5.30 could possibly do:

Stocking Lane - towards Glencree - left down towards Enniskerry - Devils Elbow - Glencullen - Dundrum.

Dundrum to Dundrum take about 2hrs ish, dont mind really but would like some climbing.

Mosiki. Sounds good. For a bit more climbing how about Dundrum Barnaculla Cruagh onto base of Kippure then back your way (Glencree et ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Anyone up for a spin around 1830 tomorrow meeting at Dundrum? I can't make half five cos that's when I finish work! I'd be inclined to bring the lights just in case.

Mosiki. Sounds good. For a bit more climbing how about Dundrum Barnaculla Cruagh onto base of Kippure then back your way (Glencree et ).

Sounds good to me too.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. 5.30 at Dundrum finalised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

im new to cycling but would love to get into it.Im 30years og age but unsure as to what standard you lads would be?(you might leave me behind after 5minutes :(
    any ideas for a newbie?

tempo wrote: »
    im new to cycling but would love to get into it.Im 30years og age but unsure as to what standard you lads would be?(you might leave me behind after 5minutes :(
    any ideas for a newbie?

Very difficult to say. How far have you been on the bike?
    How fit are you?
    Tomorrow we will more than likely try a 40/50km loop of the Dublin/Wicklow mountains taking in maybe 3 - 4 climbs of between 2 and 5km.
    All these climbs have sections that are 7-10%. I am an appalling climber but can manage these. The two other guys going are much better so will get up these pretty quickly.
    My advice would be to get out andtry a few regular routes and see what you make of them. Only you can answer that.
    You could be brilliant or like many of us here you could be distinctly average.

Unfortunately I am out, I have to head out earlier as I remembered I have to pick up some kit tomorrow and hopefully my damn headset bearings. I'll be on the road at 4pm so you might see me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Unfortunately I am out, I have to head out earlier as I remembered I have to pick up some kit tomorrow and hopefully my damn headset bearings. I'll be on the road at 4pm so you might see me.

What time are you thinking of hitting Joe Dalys at?

Sorry back on topic.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

+1

• Advertisement

Sorry back on topic.:o

About 7 I think.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    About 7 I think.

Likewise. See ye there so.

ROK ON and mosiki, are you heading out at 5 30?

Sorry abcdggs I went off topic there. Picking up Orwell kit in J.D's tomorrow evening.

Sorry abcdggs I went off topic there. Picking up Orwell kit in J.D's tomorrow evening.
    No problem, meant to get in on this thread much sooner

• Advertisement

No worries Dirk. With a TT tomorrow makes more sense.

ABCDGGS; 5.30 on the M50 flyover bridge between Dundrum and Lambs Cross. Think its actually called Sanyford Rd. Up by the Irish Management Institute and the Central Bank National Mint.

warm enough for shorts and ss jersey it is not without a doubt.
    Sorry i disappeared on the way home but i was much too cold to go at any kind of pace.
    Good to meet you both today my first time up that way, very enjoyable apart from coming down which was agony thanks to the temperature

ABCDGGS - good to meet you. Lovely acceleration on the climbs.
    EGGIE - good to catch up again. Sorry for bailing out at Kilakee but I hit a wall on Pineforest road and just had no energy left at all.
    It was so cold. I wore so much more than I did last night but I was significantly colder. The descent down Stocking lane was pure torture. I almost froze.

Hopefully get out again for something longer. 65k tonite and 70k last night.

@mosiki- any chance you could throw up some stats for this evening. my computer is acting up atm. all i got from it was cadence

@ROK ON: You were right to turn John, no point injuring yorself by over training. Good to meet up again. Its cold in them der hills, fecking freezing descending, feet were like two blocks of ice when i got home. We went to kippure base, turned back then down by devils elbow an out by glencullen.

@ABCDEFG: Good to meet up, worked out about 70km, 1000m climbing, you'll have no problem doing the w200 the way you were flying up the hills.

Advertisement