Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest House Insurance

Options
  • 12-04-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My house insurance is almost up to €400 per year..is anybody paying cheaper than this or is this average?I am trying to find cheapest quote possible,what is the cheapest company to go with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I got a very good quote from Britton Insurance. I dealt with Sharon McGuinness.they are brokers but the quote was nearly half that of AXA.

I have no connection whatsoever with the company.

Pat Britton & Co Ltd.
    Crennan House
    Tirconaill Street
    Donegal Town
    Tel: 074 9721304
    Fax: 074 9723820

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It depends to a large extent on the rebuild value. I got a great quote with 123.ie for a rebuild of 160,000 and some contents insurance for about €170 this year. I have recommended them to others and all quotes seem to have come it at the €170-€250 range as we've quite similar properties (mine is a 3 bed semi-d in a quiet suburb, maybe that helps!)
    Rebuild values have reduced by 15% to 20% so its worth reducing the cost of this as it reduces the cost of the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

400 sounds pretty cheap to me. Im paying a little over €600 for a 3 bed sem D in Dublin with €45,000 of contents insured. but then again it depends on what your insuring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The most important thing about house insurance is the reputation of the insurer. If you have a claim, some companies are good and some are terrible. You are better to deal with a good broker who can advise you properly. It is not worth saving a few euro on the premium and ending up losing massively in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slick

Cheers lads,sounds like i am paying around average..My insurer is Allianz through Ebs,maybe i will make some calls and shop around all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

slick wrote: »
    Cheers lads,sounds like i am paying around average.
    That is an utterly meaningless statement unless every property was the same.

Cheapest does not mean best, as it may mean reduced coverage. Make sure that you do not under-insure your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slick

Meaningless??..I'm not looking for the best i'm looking for the cheapest..i'm trying to cut my repayments monthly overal not just my home insurance.i think by law we all need home insurance cover.Don't really care once it's a decent enough insurer and it's alot cheaper than the one i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Meaningless??..I'm not looking for the best i'm looking for the cheapest..i'm trying to cut my repayments monthly overal not just my home insurance.i think by law we all need home insurance cover.Don't really care once it's a decent enough insurer and it's alot cheaper than the one i have.
    I can understand people seeking out the cheapest, especially in the current economy. However, I am saying don't turn it into a false economy.

Increasing the minimum might mean that you will have to foot the cost of a small accident all by yourself.

Reducing the amount of cover below the actual cost of reconstruction might be that the insurance company will pay out for part of the damage.

Removing public liability might mean an accident in your front garden means it comes out of your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Over the years I've studied, in a vague way, what matters.
    One, the rebuild value, be realistic;
    two, the location (city/country) and the content cover again be realistic;
    three, most important, what type of cover, for ex., have you specified anything as particularly valuable, such as jewellery, laptop, etc., don't drop them check what exactly the cover is, many policies don't cover your laptop in the car, neither does your car insurance, it'll cost, but may be worth it. Last, if you have the option have you new for old and freezer cover, etc. The latter item is like metallic paint on a car, extra....

Finally, my approach is when the renewal comes in have a quick run through the do it yourself quotes on the net and then ring the co and tell them you can get it x cheaper....it usually gets you €20-€50 off straightaway.

No such thing as an average in house insurance. By law you don't have to have home insurance but if you've a loan your lender will normally insist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

got my renewal today 750 . up from 510 last year!
    and they have doubled the excess .
    The guy suggested I remove accidental cover to make it cheaper..

So far I have 3 quotes (the renewal was reduced to 648 after a few minutes of haggling) one for €1130 ,
    one for €648 and one for €592. must ring a few more...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement