Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maxtor External HD recovery!

• 12-04-2010 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

So i've got quite an old Maxtor 3200 250gb External here, and basically i havent used it in over a year. It died a quiet and peaceful death, as in one day it was working and the next not. But recently i've come into a bit of money and i want to see if i can recover the data.

The back story:
    I never removed it from my computer, and it was always on a stand on my desk next to my monitor. When i first realised it wasn't working was not because of the light, because that still works, but the computer wasnt showing it connected. So i thought that was strange, then i realised that there was no noise coming from the HD... Which has made me wonder if perhaps the motor in there just marty'd on me.

I just checked it again and its still the same thing, computer doesnt know its plugged in, light is on, power supply cable is fine but no noise coming from the actual HD.

There is nothing vital on here, but just loads of stuff that has a certain sentimental value, such as pictures, music, videos, word docs etc.

So my real question is, what do i do about trying to get the data recovered?

I bought it ... no idea when or where (not PCworld or anything like that, probs play.com or amazon.co.uk), i dont have the reciept, it must be about 5 years (or less) old now and i was wondering if any people knew what sort of price im looking at, more importantly where to go to get it repaired...

Oh im a britfag btw, so only UK places...

Cheers!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Can you try plugging into
    1st> another USB port.
    2nd> another PC/laptop.

If you get the same result...
    The most likely fix is to open the casing (which apparently is a bit of a finnicky job http://www.fixya.com/support/t245259-open_maxtor_3200_500_gb_case), remove the IDE hard disk and plug into an old desktop computer or if that's not feasible, a cheap IDE to USB enclosure.

Then see if the drive spins up and is detected in the BIOS of the computer.
    If this succeeds then further recovery depends on what you encounter.

Vista and 7 will try to repair the hard drive before displaying a problem, so I prefer to use some of the linux bootable CDs like ubuntu to try and copy files.
    If the disk was not removed cleanly though this can be a bit of a convoluted procedure to mount an unclean NTFS partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Utorak

Hey, thanks for replying. Yeah it seems that the link you gave would of been useful... I mean it was, but instead of gently removing the casing it broke off. Haha, no worries tho. Got the metal surrounding case off too and now im gonna test the HD in the pc. HOPEFULLY WORKS!!!!

Advertisement