Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Walks

Options
  • 12-04-2010 4:06pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In honour of the glorious weather I thought I'd start a thread on lesser known walks in Galway. Everyone knows the Prom and Dangan but do you know of any local trails?

I decided to take the baby out in the carrier this afternoon and explore some of the nearby estates in Knocknacarra. I went into Ard Fraoigh and at the end of it there's a little walkway through some Furse bushes. It leads up to a fantastic viewing point of the bay and of Knocknacarra. I only had my phone on me so the photos suck and it didn't seem to know what to do about the sun!

Map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.271033,-9.112387&spn=0.004684,0.009495&t=h&z=17&msid=117614161426935777664.0004840b43762e779d65f

picture.php?albumid=1137&pictureid=5863

picture.php?albumid=1137&pictureid=5861

picture.php?albumid=1137&pictureid=5860

Anyone have any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merlin Woods but I still haven't been. Supposedly nice.
    Barna Woods, very nice in any season.
    Instead of clogging up the parking on Barna Road park here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ballyloughane "prom"

Claddagh Basin to Salthill via South Park (I call this the Inner Prom)

And the canals are kinda fascinating though not really scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

biko wrote: »
    Merlin Woods but I still haven't been. Supposedly nice.
    Barna Woods, very nice in any season.
    Instead of clogging up the parking on Barna Road park here

there used to be a lot of undesirables in Merlin woods.

its not much of a walk but you could try the Dyke Road. there were or are trying to build a promenade on the dyke. its nice until you get as far as the bridge.

there is an old bog road in menlo that ends in the middle of a field. grand if you want peace and quiet.

you could drive out the headford road and do a bit of bog hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

JustMary wrote: »
    Ballyloughane "prom"

Claddagh Basin to Salthill via South Park (I call this the Inner Prom)

And the canals are kinda fascinating though not really scenic.

they wanted to extend they prom out beyond Blackrock and never got around to it. you could follow it and come back by Blakes Hill.

its about an hour from Galway but one of my favourite walks is Leaba Phadraic. zou have the mountains on either side, but donät need boots to walk the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Can we make a rule that everyone includes maps? I don't know Galway and I know the names of places in Galway even less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there used to be a lot of undesirables in Merlin woods.

its not much of a walk but you could try the Dyke Road. there were or are trying to build a promenade on the dyke. its nice until you get as far as the bridge.

there is an old bog road in menlo that ends in the middle of a field. grand if you want peace and quiet.

you could drive out the headford road and do a bit of bog hopping.

I've walked the Merlin Park woods three or four times since the snow and haven't encountered any idiots yet, though theres evidence of people drinking in there at night. During the day it gets a lot of families and dog walkers. Whats left of the woods (not very much unfortunately) is very compact, most of the paths are fairly well defined and loop back to the main path/road. I'll put up some maps and pictures tomorrow when I'm not posting from my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Xiney wrote: »
    Can we make a rule that everyone includes maps? I don't know Galway and I know the names of places in Galway even less!

Open Street Maps has a really high level of detail for Galway City. It has walking routes which aren't on the likes of Google/Yahoo maps.

Example: Barna Woods

Example: Terryland Forest Park

Example: Terryland Forest Park #2

Example: Various pedestrian paths and laneways around the City Centre (i.e. - Millennium Park, The 'Board' Walk, the path around by the Claddagh Basin, Canal Walkways, Eyre Square, lanes inbetween Market St/Shop St/Middle St/Merchants Rd).

Loads more on there like Merlin Woods and 'The Line', pathways through NUIG.....etc.

Advertisement