Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire Review Thread

• 12-04-2010 4:30pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Following on from this thread: Pre-Ordering HTC Desire.

So, some of you have been lucky enough to receive your Desires whilst the rest keep refreshing our mail clients waiting for the shipping confirmation. Tell us here at boards.ie how you are finding your new toy, pro's and cons over your last phone/smartphone and if it's going to change the world as you know it!

I personally can't wait to get it so I can start playing around. I'm a developer myself and would love to start writing applications for Android, even if it is just as a hobby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have min ordered and awaiting. I'm looking to develop an app too but trying to find something that people would find useful. I posted in the other desire thread that I discovered a review where there is a problem with the multi-touch when I wanted to see where to download an air hockey type game. I'll be interested to see how much this affects it.

(the problem being that if the two touch positions cross Axis closely then their co-ordinates get reversed.) Still should be better than the Xperias single touch interface.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I think a lot of demand will be for popular apps that have already been developed for other OS's like the Iphone. When someone says 'I used to have an app for my iphone that did X but can't find one for my Android', it could be an idea to start there.

But that's only if you're like me where being creative and original aren't exactly natural gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Got mine this morning

Is so much snappier than the Hero (now previous phone)

Taking a while to adjust to the screen size/res. Is clearer, and all icons are scaled up. This makes the icon pages quite a bit wasteful of space. There doesn't seem to be any settings/option to adjust at this point.

Some good changes to address book, and the friends stream app is very good for twitter and facebook notifications.

Also - a tip for those switching android phones.
    Use Astro File Manager to back up your apps to SD Card from old phone. Handy to ensure you get those apps you want without having to search the store - and also get those that the store no longer carries like Skype ;)

an update after a full day of use..
    First up battery seems to be pretty good compared to the hero. On the whole, I think an hour or 2 of online connection. Been on wifi all day so far (8am to 3pm) and we're down 33%. That included a trip to work and back of ~25mins each and also on the way home I stopped off in a shop for an additional 30mins. So for almsot 1.5hrs it was searching for hot spots.
    Conversely charging is much slower.

I hate the screen lock mechanism compared to the hero. On the desire you have to hit the power button on the top, and it's not as intuitive and I usually hit something on the way too it - grr....

The new contacts was driving me nuts. It's great at linking your google contacts to your facebook and vice versa. But for 2 of these it got all confused - let me explain.
    First off most of the contacts linked the google contact to the facebook, i.e. google was the primary.
    But for 2 of my contacts it did it the other way round.
    When I moved these 2 contacts into a quick list group for display in the people widget it moved the facebook contact, but deleted the google contact (or at least all the pertinent details). After much playing around I figure out to delink the 2, go into the google contact and then link the facebook to it. Now works a treat, but was a real pain.

Camera is very good compared to the hero. Much more responsive, clear and seems to have better colour reproduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

Thanks for the reviews so far RikD, good to hear how a real user is finiding it outside of all these review websites!! A1**

LOVE the look of the desire and have been reading everyones posts about it, pre-ordering etc-Seriously want it!! (RikD you lucky b*#**rd!!! :))

Only thing is im not sure touch screens for me-interested to know if anyone on here has moved from button to touch with the Desire and how are they finding the change? Yay or neigh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭kave2

aliocroc wrote: »
    Thanks for the reviews so far RikD, good to hear how a real user is finiding it outside of all these review websites!! A1**

LOVE the look of the desire and have been reading everyones posts about it, pre-ordering etc-Seriously want it!! (RikD you lucky b*#**rd!!! :))

Only thing is im not sure touch screens for me-interested to know if anyone on here has moved from button to touch with the Desire and how are they finding the change? Yay or neigh?

Well, i moved from n95 to HTC Touch HD. I didn't have any problems[takes a few hours to get used to it] Touchscreen of Desire is much better then HD[capacitive vs resistive ] so it should even easier for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

kave2 wrote: »
    Well, i moved from n95 to HTC Touch HD. I didn't have any problems[takes a few hours to get used to it] Touchscreen of Desire is much better then HD[capacitive vs resistive ] so it should even easier for you.

cheers Kave! thats it, im getting it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

Collected my HTC Desire last night so have spent a good bit deal of time with it (hardly got to sleep last night :D). My impressions so far:

Software

• Sense UI is damn good. Very sleek and stylish (and usable!)
    • Android works very differently to Symbian! I needed to do the simple task of copying numbers from my SIM to the phone. It took me 20 minutes on the net to find out how to do it in 2.1. Also, messaging is not sorted into the traditional Inbox/Outbox folders but more like iPhone (threads). Probably better but takes a bit of getting used to...
    • The android market is pretty decent. Not as sleek as the App Store but there's plentiful amounts of apps there.
    • Syncing Music to it is quite tedious. I was stuck using DoubleTwist. It imitates iTunes but isn't anyway customisable and has a habit of displaying songs in an album as different albums in Grid View :mad: So your stuck with list. Songbird didn't work on my pc either (Win7 x64). I'm used to Zune though so I guess I'm spoilt for choice normally :p
    • You will need a data plan! To make the most of the software, get a good data plan!
    Hardware
    • The screen is huge and beautiful. The OLED goodness really shows and films look great on it as does Youtube. I suggest getting a good few screen protectors from youtube though.
    • The camera isn't half bad either. Decent pictures in most light conditions, face recognition and autofocus all help. Much better than the Hero's and iPhones camera imo.
    • But the speaker! I may have a defective unit or something, but the speaker is attrocious! I had a nokia 5800 prior to this and the difference is huge. The speaker is 'very' tinny and quiet. Headphones are a must!
    • Very nice to hold and better looking than the nexus one. The rubbery back helps grip and while it is big, it's comfortable to hold. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess though

That's it, back to messing with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Bomber6 wrote: »
    [*]Android works very differently to Symbian! I needed to do the simple task of copying numbers from my SIM to the phone. It took me 20 minutes on the net to find out how to do it in 2.1.

Hey Im also going to be switching from my 5800 to a desire soon could you post the best link you found on how to import the contacts? Or even a quick list of what you did??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Thinking about buying one of these sim free. I am with o2 as it suits me. I would not consider using a phone like this on meteor because of the 3G issues.

My question is this.

If I buy this phone sim free and put in my O2 sim. Will I be able to access in Internet via 3G immediately or will I have to wait for O2 to certify the phone ?

I had a bad experience a few years ago. Bought a HP phone sim free. Was with 3 at the time. Put in my sim, and I could not access the web. Rang 3 and they said they did not support the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

bought a sim free one from clove and I'm with O2. No problems. Instant data access like any other phone. O2 plan to launch the phone in May if you want to buy from them though.

here is a review I posted on another forum.
    also, apparently the battery gets better after 5 or 6 full charge discharge cycles. The phone is indeed a beauty to behold. I won't get any of those silicon/plastic screen covers, I'll instead use a microfibre bag/pouch to carry the phone in the pocket. I also won't keep it with keys or coins etc, I think the screen should be fine then. It's not soft as you wuold expect and would need some sharp item to damage it. sand/grit/metallic item etc.

I am new to android and it took a while to adapt to this phone coming from Symbian. couple of things I noted as a new user.

I think its essential to install the widget for turning on and off the mobile internet. This widget can be added as a little switch icon and is found in widgets/settings/mobile internet switch.
    Leave it switched off when not using the internet or net services. When you want to check your facebook or email or surf, just flick it on, and away you go. Will save a lot of battery rather than leaving it on all the time.
    I have my friend stream and news feeds and weather etc on manual update. So I just click to update them myself when I want to see whats new. It won't suit everyone to do it this way, but you'll be lucky to get 24hours from the battery with always on mobile internet connection and auto-updating for your 'live' pages.
    Also set your wifi to sleep after 15minutes of phone inactivity. This can be set in settings/network and wifi/wifi settings/menu key - advanced settings.
    btw, wifi is much more battery friendly than mobile internet. (based on others opinion too).

some cool apps are barcode reader & google skymaps.

Oh yeah, maybe install the android power widget into the bottom of one of your windows. It's handy for quickly switching between screen brightness modes and switching on or off services like wifi, gps, bluetooth, or synching etc. The screen obviously looks beautiful in full brightness, but its not always required if just surfing in a dark room etc.

playback of H.264 video. I tried a few h.264 mp4 files and could not get them to play. I ended up installing an evaluation of Any DVD converter professional 4.0.5. and that did the job. you can choose the Nexus One 800x480 profile. You can also crop a wide screen video to chop off the sides and avoid the letterbox black bars. great program and worth trying the evaluation one anyway. will be handy for converting TV shows etc.

Well, thats about it after 24hours. I've also heard the battery life will improve after 4 or 5 full discharge/charge cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

thegoth wrote: »
    Thinking about buying one of these sim free. I am with o2 as it suits me. I would not consider using a phone like this on meteor because of the 3G issues.

My question is this.

If I buy this phone sim free and put in my O2 sim. Will I be able to access in Internet via 3G immediately or will I have to wait for O2 to certify the phone ?

I had a bad experience a few years ago. Bought a HP phone sim free. Was with 3 at the time. Put in my sim, and I could not access the web. Rang 3 and they said they did not support the phone

You will need to get the 3g settings for the device from o2, should be the same as the G1 and I know they are available as one of the women in the office here has one and I set it up on o2 for here after google returned the info from o2 forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

RikD wrote: »

Taking a while to adjust to the screen size/res. Is clearer, and all icons are scaled up. This makes the icon pages quite a bit wasteful of space. There doesn't seem to be any settings/option to adjust at this point.

I am not sure we will ever see HTC/Google offer an option to change the size of the icons.

You would have to imagine they thought about it. I am guessing they did not implement it as anyone picking up an Android device after using an iPhone would be put off. I am talking mass market here, not us geeks that would have 1900x1200 on a 4" phone screen.

How many people do you know that set their PC monitors below the native resolution because "oh i can just see things better". You try to explain that they are infact seeing less and they look at you like you have two heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

New to android, and first smart phone so still very much getting used to the Desire. Having said that, even after 2/3 days it is alot of fun and I feel like there is tonnes more on this phone I haven't even touched.

Battery doesn't seem to be great but prob need a few more charges & I need to figure out Wifi settings - currently on all the time. I should prob download internet on/off widget mentioned earlier - sounds very handy. Am currently with vodafone, and can't get me onto the plan I want until May 1st - so will be charged 99c for every 50MB - which is daily limit. Bit of a pain for the next couple of weeks.

No probs sticking SIM into the phone, was connected to Wifi at home within minutes of turning the phone on.

The UI does take a bit of getting use to, coming from Nokia tho that was to be expected I suppose, the SMS application streams SMS's as a thread which is different but again I'm sure I will get used to it..

There doesnt seem to be a facility to change font type on emails - they are being sent as Times New Roman - plain ugly, but I prob need to dig a bit more on that. The Market is a piece of cake, downloaded Google Listen and have managed to subscribe to a couple of podcasts easily.

Am struggling with the on board Music App- again am a newbee to Android so there is prob a better way to sync the library on Windows PC (using Winamp) with the phone. Just dragging and dropping at the moment.

..so - so far so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

hey, was seriously considering this phone untill i realised you cannot store apps on the SD card only internal memory..which is far too small for this phone. So you have to uninstall apps to install apps you want. it isnt clear of google are going to change this as its to do with some security issue...so i think im swaying towards iphone here.

You can try sync up the contacts in outlook on Nokia first, and then use HTC Sync to sync them over to the android later if you want..
    I used this method. The only downside is those contacts stay as "phone" contacts. Ideally you want them as google contacts.. There are apps out there to sync outlook and google contacts if you look.

No need to download an internet switch - it's all ready on the Desire.
    When on an empty screen, click + to add a widget. You want to add "Widget->Settings->Wi-Fi". That adds a nice toggle switch to the desktop :)
    Also you can add BT, GPS, 3G and an Airline Mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

jon1981 wrote: »
    hey, was seriously considering this phone untill i realised you cannot store apps on the SD card only internal memory..which is far too small for this phone. So you have to uninstall apps to install apps you want. it isnt clear of google are going to change this as its to do with some security issue...so i think im swaying towards iphone here.

google are working on this. There are security aspects they have to solve before allowing apps on removable media.
    There is over 500mb internal memory which is more than enough for 300 LARGE apps... How many apps are you planning on installing?

BTW, there is an App called Appsaver app which allows you to store apps on the SD card. Check it out. Then you can store 32.5GB of apps. That should cover you. maybe. This app also works without rooting the phone or doing anything else to it.

It's not a big deal. I've a tonne of apps resident on the phones memory. I've yet been forced to do this.

Remember - you're music, pics, etc.. will be on the SD card.

100gSoma wrote: »
    google are working on this. There are security aspects they have to solve before allowing apps on removable media.

There is over 500mb internal memory which is more than enough for 300 LARGE apps... How many apps are you planning on installing?

well comparing with iphone, the tom tom app is 400+MB in size. that would be one app id like. a couple of games were 40-50 mb each

There are quite a few workarounds for this. It's not a big problem. A quick google search will help and it will turn up soon in an update.
    apope8 wrote: »
    Hey Im also going to be switching from my 5800 to a desire soon could you post the best link you found on how to import the contacts? Or even a quick list of what you did??

Thanks
    I sort of cheated. Copied all my contacts to the SIM card, put it into the Desire and copied them all back off again.
    An alternative would be to use Nokia PC suite to backup your contacts. If I remember rightly the PC Suite saves your contacts to the Contacts folder (Visa/7 only?). HTC Sync (which comes with the phone) will allow you to copy these to your phone.
    This looks like a good third option too:
    http://blog.lickmyear.org/2009/01/story-of-nokia-and-android-contact.html
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

RikD wrote: »
    It's not a big deal. I've a tonne of apps resident on the phones memory. I've yet been forced to do this.

Remember - you're music, pics, etc.. will be on the SD card.

are the quality of the apps up there with iphone? Do you find alot of them are functionally useful?

well comparing with iphone, the tom tom app is 400+MB in size. that would be one app id like. a couple of games were 40-50 mb each
    As far as I knew, Tom Tom copies all the maps to the SD card. The only thing on the inbuilt memory is the .exe or equivalent to launch it. Most other big apps work a similar way

Bomber6 wrote: »
    As far as I knew, Tom Tom copies all the maps to the SD card. The only thing on the inbuilt memory is the .exe or equivalent to launch it. Most other big apps work a similar way

ah right so they don't install the full app on the internal memory, its divided between the two? do all apps work this way?

ah right so they don't install the full app on the internal memory, its divided between the two? do all apps work this way?
    Yep that seems to be the case (I could be wrong but don't think so). Therefore no problems with storage. Not all apps work that way but the larger ones do

the google apps market place is still not available right?

It's there - but no paid maps in Ireland at this time.
    Quality of Apps is good cosnidering they are free.

yeah the apps and the memory issue are kind of influencing my decision to go with Iphone although the phone looks class!!

phone is class.

The only issue with Apps and Memory is the lack of paid apps in Ireland. Don't believe the hype on the rest.

But, to be honest, if you feel there are "issues" then I'd say get the iPhone as that is probably what you really want anyway.

i like the style and look over the iphone but would like the variety of apps! might take the plunge with the desire, im sure the apps will come in time.

• Advertisement

trust me - there are a lot of apps for both.

Best thing - find someone close to you and have a look, or even pop into a meteor store over the weekend and see if they have one to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

100gSoma wrote: »
    I won't get any of those silicon/plastic screen covers, I'll instead use a microfibre bag/pouch to carry the phone in the pocket. I also won't keep it with keys or coins etc, I think the screen should be fine then. It's not soft as you wuold expect and would need some sharp item to damage it. sand/grit/metallic item etc.

This is probably what I will do as well but I would be wary that you may not feel the phone vibrating in your pocket? Anyway let us know if you do get some sort of microfibre pouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

can anyone who bought the phone from meteor tell me if the phone is locked to meteor please?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

And how it's doing with the 2G/3G coverage issue please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Bought from meteor, comes in it's standard sim free box inside a bigger orange meteor box. Sim free and unlocked of course.

Had the phone nearly one and a half hours now. Cannot put it down :pac:

Now on to the review. Note that i'm upgrading from a N95 8GB

Pros
    The AMOLED screen is gorgeous. Pictures really do not do it justice in any way or form. The touch screen is responsive and the colours are so so vibrant.

Sense UI is great and looks very very slick. I'm still trying to get used to it though.

The phone is lightning fast. No lagging at all.

The Web browser is simply superb, it behaves exactly like safari on the iPhone except with flash support (Which plays very well imo)

Cons
    Compared to my N95 the camera isn't as great but the difference is almost negligibile.

It only has a mono loudspeaker.

Before buying this phone I was a bit hesitant but only one hour in and I can tell you that this is an amazing phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

My main concern with the Desire is battery life. Would be using it to make phone calls a lot everyday........well it is a phone!
    I see that Seidio now have 3200mAh battery for the Nexus One, which should double the battery life; it obviously requires a different cover. I don't see them releasing one for the Desire to soon, as it looks like Incredible will be released sooner Stateside.
    I was just wondering if anyone could clarify whether the back covers of Nexus One and Desire are interchangeable or not? (I'm presuming not):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Zagato wrote: »
    My main concern with the Desire is battery life. Would be using it to make phone calls a lot everyday........well it is a phone!
    I see that Seidio now have 3200mAh battery for the Nexus One, which should double the battery life; it obviously requires a different cover. I don't see them releasing one for the Desire to soon, as it looks like Incredible will be released sooner Stateside.
    I was just wondering if anyone could clarify whether the back covers of Nexus One and Desire are interchangeable or not? (I'm presuming not):p
    Back covers no but the batteries are interchangeable from what i've heard. They share a lot of parts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

All I have to say, as I post this from my desire, is.....sex, pure sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Has anyone switched to the Desire from the iPhone 3G or 3GS. I have a 3GS but I've had both previous iPhone versions and it feels like I've had the same phone for 2 years at this stage. I'm looking for a change and the Desire looks mighty fine to me but I'd hate to use an upgrade and not like it in the end, especially if I have to re-buy all the apps I'm used to using on the iPhone! If someone can tell me they're having a better experience with the Desire over an iPhone, I'm sold! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Picked up the phone yesterday and I really like it so far -- some nice apps out there, and the phone has a bewildering range of options in it. Still learning my way around!

I do have an incredibly messed up address book at the moment, however -- My google/facebook contacts have all been added, and I imported my phone contacts from my SIM card.

However, while you can link the online contacts, there doesn't seem to be any way of linking the phone numbers on the SIM to the online contacts. Anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    Picked up the phone yesterday and I really like it so far -- some nice apps out there, and the phone has a bewildering range of options in it. Still learning my way around!

I do have an incredibly messed up address book at the moment, however -- My google/facebook contacts have all been added, and I imported my phone contacts from my SIM card.

However, while you can link the online contacts, there doesn't seem to be any way of linking the phone numbers on the SIM to the online contacts. Anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

I'm also just learning my way around at the moment. So much to do with it :)

Also delighted with the colour. I was under the impression that Meteor were getting the black variety (said colour on website)!

As for linking contacts, I don't think it's possible when they're stored on a sim card, but should work fine once you've got them on the phone itself! That's how it worked for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

have had the phone since yesterday and loving it, will add a proper review once i figure out all the ins and outs. this is my first touchscreen phone but is going very easily.

seeing as everyone is thrumping the phone (me included) one major downside so far is the loudspeaker, very thinny, no bass whatsoever to it (maybe another media player will have an equaliser to adjust this). Big step down from the sound on my C902. not a big issue for me as its only the odd time i ever used it but for those 'cool kids' who use their phones as getoblasters, this is not for you

the battery life is the other major issue, albeit i hadnt left it down for hours, but as per the other thread, advanced task killer handles this pretty well and as a widget on home screen is a must. the initial usage should ease though giving me much better life.

have been using wifi only so far (home & work available) so cant tell anyone how bad the data costs will be

phone seems to reboot itself every so often (3 times in 1 day i guess), nothing major, just takes a few secs to get going again (hoping this one is not faulty)

contacts are strange, i cant elaborate any more cos i cant figure out what im doing wrong, everything is linked (all google contacts, facebook etc) but it feels like there could be a much quicker way of sync everything

the screen unlock button location is annoying but maybe this is due to past phones having it in different location.

the camera needs a shutter button on top(when phone held sideways), again this is mainly due to ergonomics, so will probably get used to it.

thats all i can think of for now

seeing as everyone is thrumping the phone (me included) one major downside so far is the loudspeaker, very thinny, no bass whatsoever to it (maybe another media player will have an equaliser to adjust this). Big step down from the sound on my C902. not a big issue for me as its only the odd time i ever used it but for those 'cool kids' who use their phones as getoblasters, this is not for you
    Agree with this. Thankfully headphones are ok for music.

the battery life is the other major issue, albeit i hadnt left it down for hours, but as per the other thread, advanced task killer handles this pretty well and as a widget on home screen is a must. the initial usage should ease though giving me much better life.
    I've not had to use advanced task killer on this yet. Did on the hero as I ran out of memory too often and the phone slowed down.
    Battery on these types of phones are in a different league compared to C902. Basic measurement is can you do what you need to in 1 day compared to 1 week ;)
    Definitely add the toggles for wifi, gps and 3g to your home screen so you can flip them off when you know you aren't using and conserve the battery. I used go from 1 day to 3days on the hero.

phone seems to reboot itself every so often (3 times in 1 day i guess), nothing major, just takes a few secs to get going again (hoping this one is not faulty)
    That is very strange. I've had it since Monday, and no reboot.
    Must be an app or a phone fault.
    contacts are strange, i cant elaborate any more cos i cant figure out what im doing wrong, everything is linked (all google contacts, facebook etc) but it feels like there could be a much quicker way of sync everything
    +1
    I've talked about my problem :( What it needs is a good contact manager which allows you to browse it all a little easier. But in fairness, when you get it all configured the integration really kicks ass.

Glad your enjoying anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Has anyone one using the Desire on Meteor experienced the 3g connection problem that plagues the Hero and the Legend?

Getting the Desire might be the only way to have a good htc android phone which actually works on meteor if it doesn't have this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Advanced task killer is not required for 2.1 devices as I discovered from reading about the api changes for handling background services. use settings, applications, running services to kill tasks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I've also read that battery life increases after 5-6 charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Advanced task killer is not required for 2.1 devices as I discovered from reading about the api changes for handling background services. use settings, applications, running services to kill tasks.

I've heard that using task killer apps can result in some damage to the SD card if the app is writing on to the SD card when you kill it. From what I've read about how android works, it seems best not to use task killers at all.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bren32

Why are paid apps not available? Will they ever be?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

As for linking contacts, I don't think it's possible when they're stored on a sim card, but should work fine once you've got them on the phone itself! That's how it worked for me!

Ahh, got it sorted now! Well, not entirely... still need to link up all my nicknamed phonebook entries to the real-named facebook and google contacts, but still!

If anyone else is having this problem, I finally sorted it out thanks to the above.

1. Open People
    2. Menu -> Import/Export -> Import from SIM
    3. Copy them to Phone (can't remember exact phrase used)
    4. When the copy finishes, choose Menu -> View and deselect the SIM checkbox.
    5. Select the Phone checkbox (if it's not already selected).

Now People will only display phone, facebook, and gmail contacts (depending on what was selected in 4 + 5 above). Annoyingly, you can't seem to filter the contacts in Phone on the homescreen, but I've put a link to People on the homescreen and plan to make calls through there.

It might be a handy workaround, it might be a pain... I really don't know yet.

Alternately, some people on the Android Forums suggest moving all your SIM contacts to Google Contacts, and then deleting the SIM to avoid doubles. Probably only recommended if you're certain you're not going to drop back to a non-smartphone at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Has anyone switched to the Desire from the iPhone 3G or 3GS. I have a 3GS but I've had both previous iPhone versions and it feels like I've had the same phone for 2 years at this stage. I'm looking for a change and the Desire looks mighty fine to me but I'd hate to use an upgrade and not like it in the end, especially if I have to re-buy all the apps I'm used to using on the iPhone! If someone can tell me they're having a better experience with the Desire over an iPhone, I'm sold! :)

Yep i switched from a Jailbroken 3GS.... and very happy.
    Its my first experience with the Android OS so there is a bit of a learing curve but the apps, the speed and the beauty of the phone are great.
    Its almost as if its the Iphone jailbroken as it should have been.

Need to get a silicone case though , anyone in Dublin know places that sell these ??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

has anyone bought it from meteor, do they know if its not locked to meteor???

• Advertisement
Advertisement