Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire Review Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

How much is a Desire from Meteor with the Billpay Lite plan? It's 200 on the smart plan but cant see an option to choose the billpay lite plan.

What's the cheapest way to get a desire with the billpay lite. Was gonna go for the €10 + €15 10gb addon.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

GStormcrow wrote: »
    How much is a Desire from Meteor with the Billpay Lite plan? It's 200 on the smart plan but cant see an option to choose the billpay lite plan.

What's the cheapest way to get a desire with the billpay lite. Was gonna go for the €10 + €15 10gb addon.

Thanks

They don't sell on lite anymore because of data charges. U have to buy on a smart plan unless you can convince them otherwise. Few of us here got it on lite plan but I was lucky too.

Thinly its 30 per month and 180 up front if I remember correctly. CPWare selling o2 ones for 399 and are apparently sim free unlocked if u wanted to stay on pre pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Does anyone else find the meteor mobile internet pretty sh*tty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

Keith186 wrote: »
    Thinly its 30 per month and 180 up front if I remember correctly.

That's correct, was in the grafton street branch at lunchtime and that was the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Darksaga87 wrote: »

Works fine for me in Cork. Most of the time I'm on wifi, but when I'm rambling out of the office or wifi-hotspots it works fine. I've had to reboot a couple of times - but I suspect that is Android 2.1 more than a Meteor problem.

• Advertisement

Cheers, 18 month contract though :( Might wait til next month and get it sim free with bill pay lite

Cheers, 18 month contract though :( Might wait til next month and get it sim free with bill pay lite

€35 pm on their 12 month contract though, not too bad.

SteM wrote: »
    €35 pm on their 12 month contract though, not too bad.

Yup but only 1gb of data per month and no free meteor-meteor txts :(

With BPL I'd get free meteor txts and 10gb data for €25 with a 1 month contract. I mostly just send meteor-meteor txts so tempted more by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

rugbyman wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered, but have not had time to read through all thread.
    My desire keeps switching itself off.
    yesterday after many such events I put my sim into an old phone and all is well.
    I put a foreign sim that I had into the Desire and it now is on 12 hours( though not used).
    have I a faulty phone or faulty sim card.
    My friend has a desire(dont we all) and it has never switched off.

Regards Rugbyman

Thank you BECI for your reply,

Adverts | Friends

@rugbyman: my ol' N95-8GB used to reset itself if I got an incoming call while using an active 3G data connection. Turned out to be the SIM card as I tested with other SIMs and they were OK. Walked in to O2, they swapped it for a new one no questions asked, and it's fine since then. So it very much may be that your SIM is screwed.

The outcome of this one is I had my friend ,an expert, apply a new software udate, which did not work.
    I had come to my own uneducated conclusion that the SIM card was the culprit, as Beci had suggested.
    However a visit to the retailer had resulted in the device being sent off to the workskhop,.The lady in the shop did not think the card was the issue. So hopefully some news will emerge.
    Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Is there any way to get a bill pay lite Desire on Meteor? Like do you reckon you could try and haggle it and maybe get it cheaper than CPW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

kesey wrote: »
    gmail problem: The recommended way to solve this is pretty technical,and involves a no of methods.

Method (i) is pretty intense and requires a percussion instrument known as a hammer. Having employed it, the problem will undoubtedly not recur.

Method (ii) turn off the phone and re-start. If necessary, remove the battery and re-install to ensure a proper reboot.

Give it a go, it very well might work.
    I turn my phone off every night before I go to bed so have turned it off and re-started loads of times.
    I've also removed the battery and re-installed it a few times to put in my UK sim to access the paid app market..

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Hi all,

Does anyone got an HTC desire recently? Like this week?

HTC were sold out, at least on Meteor, and I got a replacement today. But on the box there was no AC travel adapter TC P300 but a weird TC B250...

I have tryed search all over the web and I cant find any reference to such adapter...

Does any one has similar experience?

Thanks

Darksaga87 wrote: »

I live in Dublin and the internet on my Desire works very well.. No problems so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

quick question about the desire, can widgets and apps be set to only use wi-fi when available and not 3g? reason i ask is i'm getting an unlocked desire and i cant afford to go onto one of the long term plans with meteor :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You can turn off mobile data for the whole handset with an option in the settings. Some applications and widgets do have a wifi-only updating option as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is this a good time to buy a HTC Desire? Will HTC be releasing a new phone anytime soon that may have a gyroscope as i think this has potential for some great apps?

Is it true that all HTC phones come unlocked? Carphonewarehouse are selling them on O2 for 399EUR. Im tempted to go get one today IF its unlocked

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is this a good time to buy a HTC Desire? Will HTC be releasing a new phone anytime soon that may have a gyroscope as i think this has potential for some great apps?

Is it true that all HTC phones come unlocked? Carphonewarehouse are selling them on O2 for 399EUR. Im tempted to go get one today IF its unlocked
    1: yes
    2: not aware on gyroscope
    3: all is a big word. Certainly mine did from Meteor

Price from Meteor was 169 euros on an 18 month contract Bill Pay Smart EUR30 - 18 Months. That gives me 200 minutes p.m. + 200 texts and 1GB data.

Can someone explain to me why pay say 400 euros upfront for a phone and then maybe 20 euros per month PAYG, instead of a Bill Pay plan like the Meteor one above?

Can someone explain to me why pay say 400 euros upfront for a phone and then maybe 20 euros per month PAYG, instead of a Bill Pay plan like the Meteor one above?

because you dont get free meteor calls and texts and i would use well over 200mins a month to meteor alone!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

because you dont get free meteor calls and texts and i would use well over 200mins a month to meteor alone!!!!

+1
    I use a payg VF sim in mine.
    Have loadsa credit left over all the time.

ok, I see that makes sense if most calls/texts are to Meteor. But at 0.29 x 100 mins for calls to other networks, you are up at 29 euros and mobile internet is additional. That would add up quickly. I'll have to get working on a spreadsheet.

• Advertisement

PAYG
    20EUR Monthly = 240 Per Year + Phone of 400
    TOTAL 620
    Benefits (Free Meteor to Meteor Talk+Text)

Billpay
    35EUR Monthly = 420 Per Year + Phone of 170
    TOTAL 590
    Benefits (1gb Of Data)

I have no interest in signing up for a contract for 18months. So if so look at the difference between bill pay and PAYG on meteor there is only a difference of €30 for the year. Which is TINY if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

how much is a text to say a meteor number vs a non meteor number from a meteor number?

€0.12

i'm getting a desire unlocked because there's no plan that suits me, in 18 months i'd spend (and i've done the math) a serious amount (it's embarrasing to post it here) on texts alone. so spending the €20 a month for free texts to every network suits me fine, and since ther's no plan like this on bill pay for meteor yet i'm getting my phone unlocked online.

ok, I see that makes sense if most calls/texts are to Meteor. But at 0.29 x 100 mins for calls to other networks, you are up at 29 euros and mobile internet is additional. That would add up quickly. I'll have to get working on a spreadsheet.

Maybe going Bill pay is worth it actually. Just checked my account details and for the last 3 months i have never gone above 200mins (3.33Hrs).

So if you think about it, No matter what ill be spending 20pm whether on bill pay or PAYG. An extra 15EUR p/m will get me a cheaper phone and 1gb monthly. Feck it that sound fairly good actually. Well done Kesey think ill go that option!!!

Hogzy, your calc above was for 35 p.m. My Meteor 200 mins talk+text + 1 Gb data costs 30 pm. So that's a pint and a half of Murphs p.m.:-) cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Purchased my desire after work and posting now from it :) What a phone!

Purchased my desire after work and posting now from it :) What a phone!
    congrats:) Enjoy it, it's a great machine.

Does anyone know if these are in low supply through meteor? It says while stocks last on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I had to get mine from CPW on meteor as stores have feck all of them. CPW always have some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Does anyone know if these are in low supply through meteor? It says while stocks last on the website.
    Nearly always out of stock.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

2 questions..

1 - Did anyone got a Desire recently (on the last week), preference from Meteor. Wanted to know if any of you got a different AC adapter with the phone. The one being shipped was TC P300 and the one I am on about it TC B250. Did anyone got one of those??

2 - Does anyone know how to extend the time the phone rings before goes into voicemail? Meteor gave a codes to enable forwarding to my own number. That works if I dont have call forwarding already enabled...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

What is the Desires web browsing experience like on Meteor? I was told that Meteor is really bad for internet use on smartphones.

Is there any truth to this?

Lawstud wrote: »
    What is the Desires web browsing experience like on Meteor? I was told that Meteor is really bad for internet use on smartphones.

Not in my experience. I have no complaints so far, after approximate 6 weeks with the Desire and Meteor.

Got my desire yesterday and very impressed so far but only been using it on wifi. I switched from meteor PAYG to Bill Pay Lite yesterday evening and have the new sim in the phone but all I'm getting is Limited Service and no signal. Do I need to change some settings to get a network signal? Does it usually take long to port over? I can head over to a meteor shop after work but would be good if I could sort it out before tonight. Thanks

Got my desire yesterday and very impressed so far but only been using it on wifi. I switched from meteor PAYG to Bill Pay Lite yesterday evening and have the new sim in the phone but all I'm getting is Limited Service and no signal. Do I need to change some settings to get a network signal? Does it usually take long to port over? I can head over to a meteor shop after work but would be good if I could sort it out before tonight. Thanks

I ported from three to meteor yesterday and it was everything was transferred within an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Lawstud wrote: »

Fine here, I switched to Meteor when the Desire was launched.

I'm in a really poor coverage area at work and yet I have just downloaded a 2.5meg file in a matter of seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

root69 wrote: »
    Hi all,

2 - Does anyone know how to extend the time the phone rings before goes into voicemail? Meteor gave a codes to enable forwarding to my own number. That works if I dont have call forwarding already enabled...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837311

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

My Meteor SIM keeps losing signal and showing the big "no signal" icon on the homescreen. When I notice it I put airplane mode on then off again and it instantly gets connected up again but it's quite annoying that it drops like that and requires intervention to get signal back again. Any ideas what could be causing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Cianos wrote: »
    My Meteor SIM keeps losing signal and showing the big "no signal" icon on the homescreen. When I notice it I put airplane mode on then off again and it instantly gets connected up again but it's quite annoying that it drops like that and requires intervention to get signal back again. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Check if your sim is 3G, same kind of thing happened to me and was because I was using a 2.5G sim. Upgrade to 3G sorted it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Check if your sim is 3G, same kind of thing happened to me and was because I was using a 2.5G sim. Upgrade to 3G sorted it out.

How would I check what version the sim is? The sim is only a couple of months old afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You have the wrong sim in the phone. Use your existing sim, not the new one. If you were a pre to post on bill pay lite, you shouldn't have been given a sim card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Got my Desire today, after coming from a Hero already running 2.1 I knew what to expect, but holy **** it's fast! It's so much more responsive and sleeker than the Hero (which is a great phone in it's own right). Switched to Vodafone Advance 150 or something for 45 euro a month. Phone cost 200 and it was worth every penny! Will root it and have FroYo on it within the week.

Iv been using my phone in Cork for the last week or two. Had probs at first with my old sim and the Desire but went back to meteor adn they gave me a new sim(different to my old one) and the phone has been working fine since. So try that if youve any problems!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Right lads,
    Have pretty much settled on getting this phone.
    I currently have a Sony Ericsson W880i, for the past three years+ I think at this stage. Its been a rock of a phone. Deadly battery life etc but its recently stopped reading the M2 cards so there is a hardware fault with the reader so it is no good to me for music.
    Plus the fact that I have recently started running and think this phone could be good for GPS stuff and the multitude of features that it has. Basicilly this phone can replace about three devices that I currently use or have a need for.
    I've been with O2 for years switching between Bill pay and PAYG whenever suited me. I am currently on PAYG.
    Just a couple of questions that have arisen as I have read the thread.
    What is the best you can get out of the battery? Plugging a phone in every day would seriously annoy me despite all its features. Would it be possible to get 3 days out of it with limited use?
    I assume a data plan is critical for this phone. What would average useage be per month just browsing a few sites per day? No youtube or anything like that?
    I see talk of other flavours of android, I assume this is pretty easy to install on the phone?

Now, am primarily based in and around Galway city but often travel to Mayo and around the country.
    Would anyone have a particular recomendation for an operator from which to get this phone?
    I am really angling towards three at this minute (their 29 euro PM package) but was looking at Meteor also.
    I dont feel O2 are giving value for money any more.

Any assistance appreciated..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Kippy, i've used 185 megs so far this month (since the 1st June). This has involved a lot of navigation via Google Navigation, plenty of web browsing and lots of Twitter and Facebook.

Regarding the battery, i've had a few smartphones now so i'm used to having to charge it every night. Whats handy is that you can charge using usb (not terribly fast but if i'm staying at a mates place there is always a cable lying about and a computer to charge it off).

Once you get it you will not be using it sparingly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

kippy wrote: »
    Right lads,
    Have pretty much settled on getting this phone.
    I currently have a Sony Ericsson W880i, for the past three years+ I think at this stage. Its been a rock of a phone. Deadly battery life etc but its recently stopped reading the M2 cards so there is a hardware fault with the reader so it is no good to me for music.
    Plus the fact that I have recently started running and think this phone could be good for GPS stuff and the multitude of features that it has. Basicilly this phone can replace about three devices that I currently use or have a need for.
    I've been with O2 for years switching between Bill pay and PAYG whenever suited me. I am currently on PAYG.
    Just a couple of questions that have arisen as I have read the thread.
    What is the best you can get out of the battery? Plugging a phone in every day would seriously annoy me despite all its features. Would it be possible to get 3 days out of it with limited use?
    I assume a data plan is critical for this phone. What would average useage be per month just browsing a few sites per day? No youtube or anything like that?
    I see talk of other flavours of android, I assume this is pretty easy to install on the phone?

Now, am primarily based in and around Galway city but often travel to Mayo and around the country.
    Would anyone have a particular recomendation for an operator from which to get this phone?
    I am really angling towards three at this minute (their 29 euro PM package) but was looking at Meteor also.
    I dont feel O2 are giving value for money any more.

Any assistance appreciated..........

I was in a similar situation, on O2 PAYG on a SE K800i for 3+ years, this is my first smart/touchscreen on billpay (advance 150) and I find it fantastic (had it a week), Im getting over 50 hours out of the battery with medium/high usage through the day, use wifi at home so I havent used much data on the go yet. Best purchace iv made in a long long time.

hope that helps.

Got this phone last week and I'm loving it but I have 2 questions:

1) Is there away of turning off the tone it makes when you turn it on - the loud one that comes up during the 'quietly brilliant' message.

2) Has anyone put a Zagg Invisibleshield on their screen? Does it mess with the responsiveness of the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

SteM wrote: »
    Got this phone last week and I'm loving it but I have 2 questions:

1) Is there away of turning off the tone it makes when you turn it on - the loud one that comes up during the 'quietly brilliant' message.

2) Has anyone put a Zagg Invisibleshield on their screen? Does it mess with the responsiveness of the screen?
    There's an app on the market that can turn off the bootsound but be warned that you need to use it each time before rebooting. Another way to remove the sound would be to install a custom ROM.

As for Zagg shields, i'd recommend you to avoid them on the Desire. Their screen protectors are very tacky and they make using the touchscreen way harder. They get greasy very easy and besides that, the Desire's screen is glass reinforced polycarbonate so scratching shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers for that. I thought there might be a setting that I missed.

Will steer clear of the zagg too. Just afraid of ruining this screen! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

As for Zagg shields, i'd recommend you to avoid them on the Desire. Their screen protectors are very tacky and they make using the touchscreen way harder.

Are you speaking from experience? I've one on mine and it's not tacky at all.
    I wouldn't be without the screen protector on mine. You can feel it on the screen when using it but it made no difference to the responsiveness of the screen.
    The screen might be tough but I just feel more comfortable knowing there's a protector on it.

Some notes about the Zaggs (if anybody is buying them).

1: They're overpriced. They inflate the prices and then give frequent discount codes. If you're buying one sign up to the iPad giveaway with different email addresses until you get a 50% code.
    2: Shipping is slow. About a week and a half after I ordered I got an email to say they'd shipped it. Then I got it a week later.
    3: Follow the instructions exactly. Wash your hands and wet the side that goes onto the screen (like it says on the instructions). It sounds weird and it looks pretty crappy on day 1. But on day 2 you won't know there's a cover on your screen.

If you're buying one sign up to the iPad giveaway with different email addresses until you get a 50% code.

I only got an email for 20% off, I think you need to win the 50% off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement