Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire Review Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

cormie wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks for the replies. Think I might wait till the full package is there and I get the thumbs up from partyatmygaff because I Think he knows more about my phone than I do :P
    Yes, he is the Android king around here :D

I'm still trying to root my phone. Cannot sort the gold card :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yes, he is the Android king around here :D

I'm still trying to root my phone. Cannot sort the gold card :mad:

I dont think anyone sells a branded Desire in Ireland, so you don't need a Gold Card.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Inquitus wrote: »
    I dont think anyone sells a branded Desire in Ireland, so you don't need a Gold Card.
    Really????

As mine comes up with a horrible 02 screen when I start it. Apart from that there is no other 02 junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Same here hate seeing that o2 bubble.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great post by kesey.

I too am on prepay wiht my Desire. I sit in front of a computer all day and have access to any site I want and then when I get home it picks up my wifi. So I didn't see the need for a data plan. Obviously, if you are are out and about all day long and need internet access then you'll need a data plan

I combed back through this thread and found a good conversation about this. From what I gather, if I turn off auto-syncing and just open my email or Facebook etc when I'm in a Wifi zone it'll update then? Given that this is what I'm already doing on my iPhone I wouldn't mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

That's one thing I'd be wary of. Is there any way to ensure that the apps only sync to a wi-fi connection, rather than connecting to 3G?

Lots of apps have an option only to sync using WiFi. Also if you don't have a good plan you can just turn off 3G altogether.

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Same here hate seeing that o2 bubble.....

Maybe O2 branded it, Voda, 3 and Meteor haven't afaik, I am on Voda anyways.

Lucky you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lucky you :)
    How's the goldcard going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

Hogzy wrote: »
    Maybe going Bill pay is worth it actually. Just checked my account details and for the last 3 months i have never gone above 200mins (3.33Hrs).

So if you think about it, No matter what ill be spending 20pm whether on bill pay or PAYG. An extra 15EUR p/m will get me a cheaper phone and 1gb monthly. Feck it that sound fairly good actually. Well done Kesey think ill go that option!!!

How does one do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My Meteor/My Account/Call & Account Details

Voila!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Caboose

Howdy,

I did only read about 10 pages of the thread and therefore apologize if this has been brought up before. I am switching my 2G iPhone and was thinking of going to Android, esp the Desire or Nexus One, if I can find one.

There are one or two small, maybe seemingly trivial things I would like to know:
    1. Is there a YouTube downloader available?
    2. Will the movies I have in iTunes work on the phone?
    3. Do Google maps work on Pay as you Go?

Thanks in advance,
    Caboose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Caboose wrote: »
    Howdy,

I did only read about 10 pages of the thread and therefore apologize if this has been brought up before. I am switching my 2G iPhone and was thinking of going to Android, esp the Desire or Nexus One, if I can find one.

There are one or two small, maybe seemingly trivial things I would like to know:
    1. Is there a YouTube downloader available?Theres a couple but names escape me right now
    2. Will the movies I have in iTunes work on the phone?Shouldnt be a problem since they're mpeg 4 I think
    3. Do Google maps work on Pay as you Go?Yep but youd be better off with a dataplan.Google Maps does like its data

Thanks in advance,
    Caboose.
    ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I use TubeDroid for downloading Youtube videos. Could be something better out there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

any one know how to change/edit the sense ui clock thats on the home screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jesus i really hope 2.2 is released soon. Its so annoying after forking out for a 32gb card yet being asked to delete apps constantly because iv no memory left. Serious draw back that should have been solved a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

MiCr0 wrote: »
    any one know how to change/edit the sense ui clock thats on the home screen?

You can just remove it and then go to Add Widget>Clock and there is 12 HTC clocks to choose from. I'm currently using an app called 'Weather Widgets' which I find much nicer than the standard HTC ones.

http://www.ermesjo.org/blog/?page_id=66

chart1.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Going to pick one of these up next Wednesday after work.

Will be going for the Meteor €35 plan (12 months) & €6.99 for insurance.

Handset cost with this plan is €169.99.

Can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hi Guys,

Have spent the last few days looking over this thread.....really informative. I was in both Meteor and CPW today and got a quote of €169.99 from both with the MeteorSmart €35/mth plan. Only thing with the CPW is that they have been told that they must sign people up for the 18mth contract rather than the 12mth. Bit sh** if you ask me. Also anthoer thing that gets me is that the Handsets from CPW were all locked....is this the case for each network. Most people on the thread have been saying Handset is unlocked....anybody any recent experience in buying one?

In the Dun Laoghaire Meteor Store I was told that they are only getting on average 3 HTC Desire Handsets in each week....not sure how true this is given the comments on this thread about them holding back handsets for new customers :confused: My contract with Meteor is up in the next few weeks or so.....does anybody know of a Meteor store that's getting them in/will have them in by mid to late July?

Sorry for the longwinded comment.....tis my first post on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

lang wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Have spent the last few days looking over this thread.....really informative. I was in both Meteor and CPW today and got a quote of €169.99 from both with the MeteorSmart €35/mth plan. Only thing with the CPW is that they have been told that they must sign people up for the 18mth contract rather than the 12mth. Bit sh** if you ask me.
    That's why I picked one up on PAYG, and stuck with my existing O2 pay-monthly €25 per month contract (250mb data). Over 18 months it would've have cost me an additional €180 euro. My current contract expires in August, so I can move to a better package if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

That's why I picked one up on PAYG, and stuck with my existing O2 pay-monthly €25 per month contract (250mb data). Over 18 months it would've have cost me an additional €180 euro. My current contract expires in August, so I can move to a better package if needs be.

So you are on PAYG €20 a month and you pay an extra €5 for 250mb monthly? Were you an existing customer or did you switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Also anthoer thing that gets me is that the Handsets from CPW were all locked....is this the case for each network. Most people on the thread have been saying Handset is unlocked....anybody any recent experience in buying one?

I picked up a O2 PAYG DESIRE from CPW last week, and it was unlocked... unfortunately the startup screen has an O2 logo... but that's it.
    I slapped my THREE sim in, and phone is working no problems. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So you are on PAYG €20 a month and you pay an extra €5 for 250mb monthly? Were you an existing customer or did you switch?

No, I bought the phone on PAYG, but immediately inserted my bill pay sim (€20 + €5 for 250Mb).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hi Guys,

Also anthoer thing that gets me is that the Handsets from CPW were all locked....is this the case for each network. Most people on the thread have been saying Handset is unlocked....anybody any recent experience in buying one?

I bought my Desire with Meteor a couple of weeks ago in CPW. The phone is unlocked: No network ID physically on phone, no network logo at startup. Just put my friend's Vodafone SIM in to check with no problems.

Actually, on that point. When I was in the shop buying it a woman came in to buy another phone. She just wanted a basic phone for her sis or something. Had a model in mind. Only thing was, she wanted it with meteor but without that annoying Apprentis screensaver that was on her phone. (The same model she wanted for her sis). The rep said that it was on all those phones from meteor so she said "Ah, I won't bother so. That's really put me off the phone".
    Pay attention Meteor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

Im messing around with a desire at the minute and when after typing a text message and going to put the name in its giving me all contacts inc gmail ect. Is there a way for it just to use the sim card or contacts transfared from the sim to phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

I got the HTC desire at the weekend and am not too impressed compared to my wife's iphone.
    The apps cannot be relied on, even after reading reviews, and there aren't the same options for apps like the iphone, eg mobile banking, goldenpages, podcast download.
    TBH I would love to swap it for an iphone 3gs.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

eireal wrote: »
    Im messing around with a desire at the minute and when after typing a text message and going to put the name in its giving me all contacts inc gmail ect. Is there a way for it just to use the sim card or contacts transfared from the sim to phone?

click on People, press the Menu button, select View then uncheck whichever Contacts listing you do not want to use:
    SIM
    Google
    Phone

blues2 wrote: »
    I got the HTC desire at the weekend and am not too impressed compared to my wife's iphone.
    , even after reading reviews, and there aren't the same options for apps like the iphone, eg mobile banking, goldenpages, podcast download.

"The apps cannot be relied on": the ones on my phone e.g. BBC News, XE Currency, Dropbox, Engadget, Fring , Gmail, Le Monde, Google Sky Map, London City, Maps, New Scientist, NY Times, RTE News, Stocks, Swype, Telegraph all work bloody marvellously. So does a Bank app I have on.

What apps do you actually want?

The apps cannot be relied on, even after reading reviews, and there aren't the same options for apps like the iphone, eg mobile banking, goldenpages, podcast download.
    There are plenty of apps that do that, just take the time to find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

try beyondpod or google listen for podcasts.

• Advertisement

kesey wrote: »
    "The apps cannot be relied on": the ones on my phone e.g. BBC News, XE Currency, Dropbox, Engadget, Fring , Gmail, Le Monde, Google Sky Map, London City, Maps, New Scientist, NY Times, RTE News, Stocks, Swype, Telegraph all work bloody marvellously. So does a Bank app I have on.

What apps do you actually want?
    I use some of the ones you have listed but a lot of others didnt really work (eg shortcuts to switch on/off bluetooth and wifi.). I would like an app for AIB and BOI banking. The podcasts apps i have downloaded dont seem to have irish stations (apart from lyric FM). I'm guessing it will take time for it to get the same support as the iphone now enjoys.
    Google listen does have some irish podcasts but not many.
    Mainly i find it is hit or miss if an app is good, or even if it works, or not. this is not the case with the iphone as they are all vetted by apple first.
    I guess i just need to be patient and persevere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I use some of the ones you have listed but a lot of others didnt really work (eg shortcuts to switch on/off bluetooth and wifi.).

If they're not working there may be a problem with the phone. Are you using the Power Control widget. Works 100% of the time for me.
    The podcasts apps i have downloaded dont seem to have irish stations (apart from lyric FM). I'm guessing it will take time for it to get the same support as the iphone now enjoys.
    You can import any podcast to BeyondPod or Google Listen using RSS. Open your browser go to the podcast page and grab the RSS or XML link and paste it into Listen or BeyondPod. I presume with the iPod the podcasts were listed in iTunes. You don't need that anymore. Every podcast has an XML or RSS link, they don't need to be listed in a directory.
    I would like an app for AIB and BOI banking.

Me too. With Google activating 160,000 Android phones a day maybe the big Irish companies might notice in a few years and write their apps for Android. :D

One app the phone should come with is Automatic Task Killer. Download it, install it and then untick the apps you don't want to be killed (e.g. BeyondPod). That way the apps you don't care about will be closed when the phone goes to sleep and the apps you want to stay awake (for playing media or syncing) will stay running.

thanks mickoneill30. I will follow your advice tomorrow. sounds like i havent given it a proper chance yet!

I use some of the ones you have listed but a lot of others didnt really work (eg shortcuts to switch on/off bluetooth and wifi.). I would like an app for AIB and BOI banking. The podcasts apps i have downloaded dont seem to have irish stations (apart from lyric FM). I'm guessing it will take time for it to get the same support as the iphone now enjoys.
    Google listen does have some irish podcasts but not many.
    Mainly i find it is hit or miss if an app is good, or even if it works, or not. this is not the case with the iphone as they are all vetted by apple first.
    I guess i just need to be patient and persevere

On Android market you get 24 hours to return an app and get your money back, that makes it infinitely superior to appstore for avoiding crap, being as you can try before you buy effectivelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

Really considering the Desire on Meteor.

Can you sign up to the Bill Pay Connect 18 month contract with a Desire?

Really considering the Desire on Meteor.

Can you sign up to the Bill Pay Connect 18 month contract with a Desire?

I don't know what Bill Pay Connect is, but you can certainly sign up for Meteor Bill Pay Smart EUR30 - 18 Months. It gets you 200 mins talk, 200 mins text and 1 GB Data for 30 euros a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

I don't know what Bill Pay Connect is, but you can certainly sign up for Meteor Bill Pay Smart EUR30 - 18 Months. It gets you 200 mins talk, 200 mins text and 1 GB Data for 30 euros a month.
    I like that plan but a poor student can't even afford just the extra fiver. I'll be using the 250 mb add-on. I've never used over 50mb before on PAYG.

Still, the extra data would be nice, especially with FroYo, when I can tether with my mythical iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I have not read all of this thread.
    bought a Desire from CPW,nice people. after afew weeks of occasional switch offs and lock ups I returned it for repair.
    It came back, fault unable to be replicated, apparently working.

It failed again ,many times, back tothe nice staff, away it went again. Hopefully...

Rugbyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

click on People, press the Menu button, select View then uncheck whichever Contacts listing you do not want to use:
    SIM
    Google
    Phone

I have this set to phone but it still shows the whole list from my google contacts when I go to add a contact in the messaging section rather than just the highlighted names

rugbyman wrote: »
    I have not read all of this thread.
    bought a Desire from CPW,nice people. after afew weeks of occasional switch offs and lock ups I returned it for repair.
    It came back, fault unable to be replicated, apparently working.

It failed again ,many times, back tothe nice staff, away it went again. Hopefully...

Rugbyman
    You shouldn't bother dealing with those clowns. Just ring up HTC and they would have replaced it for you with little to no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

A helpful fellow on the CPW phone suggested this as one of the routes to follow, but it was easier to go to the shop. will see what happens. \thanks

rugbyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Guys, I wonder how many of you experienced "dust under the screen issue"?

I have read many Desire users experienced that. I found it hard to believe that everyone is ok with it, or it’s just me so unlucky to get one :(

HTC offered me repair as oppose to replacement, and it’s really annoying I have to send to UK and pay for delivery. This is ridiculous.

I’m very disappointed.

Denisoftus wrote: »

I have read many Desire users experienced that. I found it hard to believe that everyone is ok with it, or it’s just me so unlucky to get one :(

HTC offered me repair as oppose to replacement, and it’s really annoying I have to send to UK and pay for delivery. This is ridiculous.

I’m very disappointed.
    Pay for delivery? That's not on at all. Bring it back to where you bought it from over here in Ireland and they should give you a replacement while you wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I’m very disappointed.

I've never even heard of this issue. No problems with my Desire at all

Pay for delivery? That's not on at all. Bring it back to where you bought it from over here in Ireland and they should give you a replacement while you wait.

Unfortunately I bought it of pixmania, looks like it came from France. Pixmania said it will be quicker to contact HTC directly, and if I don't I will still have to pay for delivery to France, that's driving me nuts.

I think I will have no options but send it to UK :( and hope it will get back properly fixed.

Unfortunately I bought it of pixmania, looks like it came from France. Pixmania said it will be quicker to contact HTC directly, and if I don't I will still have to pay for delivery to France, that's driving me nuts.

I think I will have no options but send it to UK :( and hope it will get back properly fixed.
    Shame. Although HTC should refund you the delivery charge, argue that it's not your fault that their product has a manufacturing defect.

Shame. Although HTC should refund you the delivery charge, argue that it's not your fault that their product has a manufacturing defect.

Thanks, I'll try, but I will be more concern about the quality of repair, has anyone ever used HTC certified repair center in UK?

Thanks, I'll try, but I will be more concern about the quality of repair, has anyone ever used HTC certified repair center in UK?
    According to what i've read over on XDA, they just replace the screen and digitiser. No real "repair" as such.

According to what i've read over on XDA, they just replace the screen and digitiser. No real "repair" as such.

I hope it will do, if they seal it properly.

• Advertisement

Gave them a call again, apparently I was lucky to get someone decent on the phone, and she escalated the call with replacement team.

She was very surprised on pixmania-pro return policy (24 hours to return), looks like they suppose to take it back.

One thing she confirmed that is delivery from and to Ireland will be my liability, only UK is covered for free delivery service,and she advised against the repair in that case. This is really odd, I shall contact pixmania for repair in the future to avoid delivery charge, while phone is still under the warranty.

At the moment I'm wating for a response from escalation team, and hope to get replacement one.

At this stage I think I made a mistake buying sim-free phone. I'd better go for vodafone one next time :(

Advertisement