Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire Review Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Denisoftus wrote: »
    At this stage I think I made a mistake buying sim-free phone. I'd better go for vodafone one next time :(

Aye especially given all the Vodafone ones are sim free anyways :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye especially given all the Vodafone ones are sim free anyways :)

They are not locked to Vodafone network? :eek:

Da..m

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Denisoftus wrote: »
    They are not locked to Vodafone network? :eek:

Da..m

Ditto with the Meteor Desires. Well my one anyway.

HTC rep explained me they cannot offer free collection/delivery service between UK and Ireland, they offered me free collection from Northern Ireland address if I have any.

Only option he advised is to try to return the phone to pixmania, and if they dont take it refer to consumer rights.

Has anyone had any issues with pixmaina I wonder.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

i thought this phone was available in meteor , i sent them an email to make sure they ad t in stock but they said they dont stock it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Craigels wrote: »
    i thought this phone was available in meteor , i sent them an email to make sure they ad t in stock but they said they dont stock it ?
    https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/htc_desire/#/in_all_phones
    ?

on billpay only :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

thats the thing i am on bill pay already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

You can buy it prepay on meteor from carphonewarehouse but it's €499 as opposed to €399 from the other carriers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

eireal wrote: »
    You can buy it prepay on meteor from carphonewarehouse but it's €499 as opposed to €399 from the other carriers

hi

but do you know if its carrier locked? if it is can i get it unlocked for a reasonable fee? i want to use my tesco sim in it.

i am hoping to buy one in the next day or two, any advice would be well appreciated

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

emo72 wrote: »
    hi

but do you know if its carrier locked? if it is can i get it unlocked for a reasonable fee? i want to use my tesco sim in it.

i am hoping to buy one in the next day or two, any advice would be well appreciated

cheers

the o2 desire i got in the CPW was locked anyway. Have it a week now and still havent it unlocked >.< since im with meteor i'm not entitled to an o2 unlock code. I wouldn't be awful trustworthy of internet unlocking sites either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

V9 wrote: »
    the o2 desire i got in the CPW was locked anyway. Have it a week now and still havent it unlocked >.< since im with meteor i'm not entitled to an o2 unlock code. I wouldn't be awful trustworthy of internet unlocking sites either.
    I'd not be too enthusiastic myself but http://www.htccode.com/ are getting good feedback in other forums. MoDaCo even recommended them, thats saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Picked up a Desire on O2 at the weekend. 18 month contract sure but I knew what handset I wanted, an Android one, from the off.

Have to say I'm absolutely delighted with it. I had no intention of getting myself an iPhone and locking myself down to the Steve Jobs military state.

Android forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I gotta admit, even tho i cant make phone calls or text off it, just playing around with it sim free is an absolute joy. I havent been this delighted with a phone since I bought the n95. Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i updated (for some reason while on the bus!) yesterday to froyo - all going well so far

bluetooth sync seems to be having some issues, but i found a workaround - i didn't fancy creating 500 contacts manually

does any one know how to get the original desire keyboard back?
    i finally got use to it, and the one that came with the froyo release is driving me knuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i finally got use to it, and the one that came with the froyo release is driving me knuts
    I didn't really notice any difference, apart for the 'minimize/dismiss' key being swapped for a 'keyboard locale' key. Are there other changes?

its the minimize button i was mainly looking for, but seemingly the menu button will do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

MiCr0 wrote: »

First thing I did after installing the OpenDesire release was install the HTC_IME keyboard which I prefer to the stock one. See the XDA thread here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I download the apk file and enabled but for some reason it didn't change :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I download the apk file and enabled but for some reason it didn't change :confused:

When you're inputting text, long press in the text enty area, and select input method. That's where you change the keyboards once they've been enable under keyboard settings.

On the modded keyboard, you should also be able to change those buttons to the minimize button under settings. In any case, I recommend getting your hands on Swype. It may not necessarily be much faster than other keyboards, but it's a lot more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hurlersx

I was in western cellular (agents for vodafone in the west) today and asked had they the desire in stock, guy said no, they were recalled due to a fault, and they wouldnt have them back in till some time in august. Ive noticed that the Desire has been out of stock from the Vodafone website for a good while as well.
    Does anyone have any idea what the issue is, has anyone come across this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

hurlersx wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what the issue is, has anyone come across this?

I've had two Desires from Vodafone. The first one had a faulty GPS receiver. I've no idea if thats common. The one they replaced it with is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 martinaoe2

Hey lads,

I want your opinions on the 3 price plans? I have looked at all the rest and only meteor appeals to me but I have been told meteor 3g only works west of the shannon by carphonewarehouse :S I live in Kerry by the way. Is this true?

I chatted to a local 3 representative yesterday and he said he just got an email that the desire was coming online in the next 2 weeks.

I'm very curious about the 3 data plans. Price range between 20-35. I noticed there dataplans seem very weak. Any opinions?

---Leaving my k800 baby. 4 years old. What a machine since I flashed it.---:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Currently own a Nokia 5800, was wondering how this HTC compares when used for playing mp3s, audio quality, battery life, options available etc. Read many comments mentioning the external speaker is fairly lame, but I'm only interested in using the phone with a decent set of earphones. Any info much appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

martinaoe2 wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I want your opinions on the 3 price plans? I have looked at all the rest and only meteor appeals to me but I have been told meteor 3g only works west of the shannon by carphonewarehouse :S I live in Kerry by the way. Is this true?

I chatted to a local 3 representative yesterday and he said he just got an email that the desire was coming online in the next 2 weeks.

I'm very curious about the 3 data plans. Price range between 20-35. I noticed there dataplans seem very weak. Any opinions?

---Leaving my k800 baby. 4 years old. What a machine since I flashed it.---:cool:

There doesn't seem to be any meteor 3g coverage anywhere in Kerry. http://www.meteor.ie/plans/coverage/

In fact I'm pretty sure there isn't even Edge coverage. I past through Killarney, Tralee and Dingle in the last few weeks and all the time I've only had GPRS data coverage.

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Currently own a Nokia 5800, was wondering how this HTC compares when used for playing mp3s, audio quality, battery life, options available etc. Read many comments mentioning the external speaker is fairly lame, but I'm only interested in using the phone with a decent set of earphones. Any info much appreciated, thanks.

I went from a 5800 to a Desire and never looked back. The only thing I see the 5800 has over the Desire is the battery life. I have to charge my Desire everyday but I use it so much I don't mind.

As I type I am listening to music on it and the quality is excellent. You can download an app caled Tunee Music and it allows you to download tracks for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

.... You can download an app caled Tunee Music and it allows you to download tracks for free.

It's not in the market anymore apparently :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Thanks for the info. Am big into my music so that'll be one of the main uses I'll use the phone for (if I do eventually get one) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I went from a 5800 to a Desire and never looked back. The only thing I see the 5800 has over the Desire is the battery life. I have to charge my Desire everyday but I use it so much I don't mind.

As I type I am listening to music on it and the quality is excellent. You can download an app caled Tunee Music and it allows you to download tracks for free.
    how does this app work?

Random wrote: »
    how does this app work?
    You just type in the track name and start downloading it. Not too sure tbh how legit it is though ;-)

Zagato wrote: »
    It's not in the market anymore apparently :(
    MP3 Download / Music Download *Cough* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Don't post links to warez or legally dubious apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Used it myself - dodgy isnt the word - Does as advertised but nothing is for free at the end of the day so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Downloading music via an app to the phone sounds pointless/hard work.
    I was wondering whether there is much of a demand for these type of apps but obviously so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

kippy wrote: »

If the phone is where you want to listen to the media then it's cutting out a step of needing / using a PC to get the media from the internet.

I was wondering whether there is much of a demand for these type of apps but obviously so.
    How is it pointless?

It's pretty handy. Just search for a song, preview it and then download it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

yep and when you consider there are apps out there which you just hold near the radio and can tell what song it is, you can just type that in then, confirm it is it, and download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Hi. Can someone tell me if id be better off going with 3 or meteor whenever the desire is back in stock please. Thanks

Forgot to say i'll be going for the cheapest plan on both providers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

JM MARCONI wrote: »
    Hi. Can someone tell me if id be better off going with 3 or meteor whenever the desire is back in stock please. Thanks

Forgot to say i'll be going for the cheapest plan on both providers

Meteor. They are just a fantastic Network to be with. Great plans. GREAT Customer care...

Cant recommend them enough!

Meteor by far are the better network. If not infrastructure at least in customer care.

Thanks lads. Does meteors smaller area of 3g cover ever cause you problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

JM MARCONI wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Does meteors smaller area of 3g cover ever cause you problems?

Its never caused me problems in Cork City/Country, parts of waterford, tipperary and Limerick. Kerry caused me problems but i didnt even have cell coverage either.

Meteor have Edge aswell, I dunno if 3 do?
    tbh i havnt heard half as many complaints about meteor coverage as i do 3's. Handy thing about meteor is if you dont have coverage it borrows from O2 or Vodafone. 3 doesnt.

Meteor it is then. Hope they get some stock in soon. Im in desperate need of a new gadget :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i'm right in thinking i should use the h.263 instead of the mpeg4 if i want better quality video?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

I was hoping to use the GPS function in the Wildfire without having to connect via my data package - does anyone know if an app can be purchased for maps that don't require an internet connection?

I was hoping to use the GPS function in the Wildfire without having to connect via my data package - does anyone know if an app can be purchased for maps that don't require an internet connection?
    There are a few.

MapDroyd
    Co-Pilot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

There are a few.

MapDroyd
    Co-Pilot

Cheers. Can these be bought on the App Market and put on the device handily enough?

They can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement