Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire Review Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I heard it mentioned that the desire is also available from O2 but nothing on their site.
    Also has Vodafone or Meteor done anything to the software. Some people on the O2 forum were afraid that O2 were going to do something to cripple or brand the software.

Got mine on o2, fortunately all they seem to have done is load settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Got mine on o2, fortunately all they seem to have done is load settings.

Any idea on what their price plans are ? I just checked the O2 site & there is no mention of the Desire :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm upgrading shortly and this is the first phone I've seen which tempts me to move away from Blackberry. There are a few issues I'd like answers to from those of you using the phone already though.

I asked earlier in the thread, no response though - is it possible to sync contacts/calendar with Outlook without hassle?

I do a lot of roaming - is it easy to switch off all the data hungry apps while roaming? (it's automatic with Blackberry).

Is anyone using it for 60-90 mins of calls a day and, if so, what's the battery life like then?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm upgrading shortly and this is the first phone I've seen which tempts me to move away from Blackberry. There are a few issues I'd like answers to from those of you using the phone already though.

I asked earlier in the thread, no response though - is it possible to sync contacts/calendar with Outlook without hassle?
    I don't know about Outlook myself, but I think it should be no problem? I'm having an issue with Google which is annoying me but hopefully it'll be ironed out soon!

I do a lot of roaming - is it easy to switch off all the data hungry apps while roaming? (it's automatic with Blackberry).
    You can turn off Data Roaming easily :)

Is anyone using it for 60-90 mins of calls a day and, if so, what's the battery life like then?
    I haven't started using it as my main phone because the contact sync issue, but I'll be using it a good bit once my own sim is in it. Seems fine so far for me but it's handy having a usb charger so you can plug it in almost anywhere anyway!

Thanks in advance.

On another note, I left my Desire at home when I was out for a few hours, came back and even though my laptop was connected to the net no problem, my HTC wasn't so I had to restart and then it was fine :confused:

I've always had an issue with my wifi connection here though in that if it went unused for a certain amount of time, I'd have to "repair" the connection. Maybe the HTC was still connected to the unrepaired signal though or something and the restart re established the connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chartreuse

Hey,

I'm in the market for a smartphone and am considering either a desire or a hd2. What do you recommend I should get? I'll be going pay as you go, so there's only a €20 difference on vodafone, so the price difference doesn't matter.

What is the operating system like, I've heard the windows mobile on the hd2 can be dodgy, any issues like that on a desire?

I assume that since the desire runs on android, which is open source, that updates for the OS and the likes will be free along the line?

Does the camera have a flash?

How is it for connecting to the internet?

How is the screen output, I know the hd2 seems to have a very good screen on it, what's the desire's like?

That's all I can think of for the moment, I figured this was a better place to ask rather than clutter up the forum with another thread.

Thanks for any help.

I've only just picked up the HTC desire a few days ago but here are my thoughts:

Definitely go for the Desire. I was eyeing the HD2 for ages until I heard that Desire was going to be rolled out.

If you look around online for HD2 details reviews - you'll find that WinMo as a platform has its issues, which compromises the performance of the HD2.

I love the Android platform - responsive and quick.

As for Android updates - maybe someone can advise you on this.

You can connect to the internet via wifi and the mobile network offered by your operator. Either works like a charm. Surfing the internet is fantastic on this phone.

I haven't tried the camera yet, so can't comment.

Screen - AMOLED is stunning. Rich colours and graphics.

The only drawback I'd say is battery life, but then because of the new-phone-factor I'm probably twiddling with it a lot more than the usual usage.

Thanks cormie. The only issue left seems to be the Outlook issue. It's hard to get a definitive answer anywhere on the web although I'd be amazed if it didn't work.

Any idea on what their price plans are ? I just checked the O2 site & there is no mention of the Desire :confused:

I'm on the €40 a month plan, 150 mins, 100 texts and 2 gigs.

Link and click on the smart phone option. The plans for the desire are the same as those for the HD2 and Xperia (Other Smartphones tab).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Is there a price yet on the phone itself on o2?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Is there a price yet on the phone itself on o2?

I paid €169, was moving from payg to bill pay. AFAIK upgrading prices vary depending on your upgrade level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Thanks cormie. The only issue left seems to be the Outlook issue. It's hard to get a definitive answer anywhere on the web although I'd be amazed if it didn't work.
    Transferring contacts from Outlook is not a problem: with no stuttering of any sort, it just worked. I transferred approx 880 contacts in no time using the HTC sync program HTC: . Sync 2.0.33 which I downloaded from HTC.com

http://www.htc.com/europe/supportdownloadlist.aspx?p_id=312&act=sd&cat=all

Enjoy your Desire. In the words of the man, resist everything but temptation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

I think a few people have asked this but I'm not sure if it's been answered. If you get the Desire on Vodafone pre-pay, is it Vodafone branded? I was thinking of getting it but if it's going to be branded I might just pay the extra 80 quid to get it sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    I think a few people have asked this but I'm not sure if it's been answered. If you get the Desire on Vodafone pre-pay, is it Vodafone branded? I was thinking of getting it but if it's going to be branded I might just pay the extra 80 quid to get it sim free.
    It's not branded but it is locked.

Unbranding an Android phone is extremely easy and free. Unlocking... Neither free nor easy.

Yi Harr wrote: »
    I paid €169, was moving from payg to bill pay. AFAIK upgrading prices vary depending on your upgrade level.

Thanks for the info. I rang O2 and got a price of 169 euro on a silver upgrade. They also tell me that carphone warehouse can also do the upgrade if you need to trade in an old phone. I have a Nokia 5800 so will check them out.

EDit: CPW offering 70 euro for Nokia 5800

Sorry for double post . Does anyone know if desire is available in Black and if so what dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Pixmania.ie sell it in black, SIM free for €499. I bought one there last week, mind you it was €449 when I bought it so they've upped the price by €50 in the space of a week for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Anyone know how to set mp3 as text alert :confused:
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If it's available, download the app Ringdroid. Will allow you to set mp3 clips as alarms, ringtones and notifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

If it's available, download the app Ringdroid. Will allow you to set mp3 clips as alarms, ringtones and notifications.

Thanks for that, found ringo lite worked fine.
    Cheers.

kesey wrote: »
    Transferring contacts from Outlook is not a problem: with no stuttering of any sort, it just worked. I transferred approx 880 contacts in no time using the HTC sync program HTC: . Sync 2.0.33 which I downloaded from HTC.com

http://www.htc.com/europe/supportdownloadlist.aspx?p_id=312&act=sd&cat=all

Enjoy your Desire. In the words of the man, resist everything but temptation.

You've just removed the last reason I had to resist! Off shopping tomorrow...

boc121 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to set mp3 as text alert :confused:
    Cheers.

Settings-sound and display-notification sound-(you should have two options, htcringtonepicker or Select Music)-select music-music-select your track-press OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Invisible

Heyyah all,

You can start your Desire without SIM card. In that case it'll work like an old PDA (everything works but the phone, even address book!).

Then you can easily transfer contacts from your old phone via Bluetooth for example...

You can even connect with WiFi, go to Android Market and play with apps, sync with online services, and after you're satisfied with it, just turn your old phone for good and switch the SIM :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

a Desire off O2?

I called customer care last night and went through all the details - was quoted the same price as everyone else (169) with a silver upgrade.

But the person in customer care said I could not order the upgrade over the website (cos it isn't on it) OR with her over the phone.

She said I had to go into a store.

I just called the Baggot Street o2 store and was told that O2 weren't releasing the phones to stores until mid/late May.

:confused:

You could use CPW but they only have them in brown right now it seems

quad_red wrote: »
    a Desire off O2?

I called customer care last night and went through all the details - was quoted the same price as everyone else (169) with a silver upgrade.

But the person in customer care said I could not order the upgrade over the website (cos it isn't on it) OR with her over the phone.

I just called the Baggot Street o2 store and was told that O2 weren't releasing the phones to stores until mid/late May.

a Desire off O2?

Strange because out of interest I rang a branch of CPW on Monday & they had them. He had to go away & check but came back & said "yes we have them"

Tony wrote: »
    You could use CPW but they only have them in brown right now it seems

Brown ? What colours are they available in ?

Yeah, called CPW and they have them alright.

Is there any difference going with CPW or an O2 store? If I've had problems with handsets before it's always been handy to just drop them into o2 stores.

If I buy one in the CPW, can I still use o2 stores?

Brown ? What colours are they available in ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=647298

Thanks for that. I think I prefer the Brown one although it looks grey or black anything but brown.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Prefering he look of the brown myself, although them calling it "brown" was putting me off. Just need to decide which UK operator to get one from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I still think my 'brown' desire is more of a pink shade :(

• Advertisement

I still think my 'brown' desire is more of a pink shade :(

Are you sure thats not the pink screen you're talking abut :D It sounds like a super phone from what I've heard. At least the TV add looks good.I'm sorely tempted but I may stick with my diamond 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Are you sure thats not the pink screen you're talking abut :D It sounds like a super phone from what I've heard. At least the TV add looks good.I'm sorely tempted but I may stick with my diamond 2.

Nope its sitting here in front of me. The screen is off and in a certain light the casing definitely looks pink to me. Come on somebody back me up here or maybe I'm just colour blind. Its the same colour as this smiley ---> :o
    Kind of a very light brown?

Nope its sitting here in front of me. The screen is off and in a certain light the casing definitely looks pink to me. Come on somebody back me up here or maybe I'm just colour blind. Its the same colour as this smiley ---> :o

God no,not pink. I'm definitely sticking to my diamond 2 now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Yep its a pink shade of brown alright.
    Noticed that as soon as I took it out of the box.
    You're not colour blind :)

lafors wrote: »
    Yep its a pink shade of brown alright.
    Noticed that as soon as I took it out of the box.
    You're not colour blind :)
    It's hardly what any reasonable person would call pink though. It's a reddish sort of brown.

I reckon it's more bronzey, the same way bronze can look pinkish in a certain light :)

cormie wrote: »
    I reckon it's more bronzey, the same way bronze can look pinkish in a certain light :)
    Cormie check out the new thread I made, a new custom rom has been released which allows for installing the stock contacts app!

:eek:.... see you there :D

Thanks for the help guys, just picked one up in CPW Ashleaf

Edit: Brown is a bad colour description, its a cool looking phone if you had previously preferred black as I did.

• Advertisement

Got one today. Wow!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

Anyone else having a problem with contacts? I set copied all my contacts to GMail for ease of use with Irish Cabbage. Only problem is now when I open phone on the home screen, all the contacts appear with the number <c6> or <c10> (the arrows are actually grey filled arrows)
    Something simple I assume but google (in terms of search engine) has been no help...

Anyone else have an issue with the earphones? They just won't fit right in my ears. I usually go for in ear ones (having had SE walkman phones mostly), anyone know of some decent in ear ones as a replacement for the stock ones, ie. with microphone and remote track changer?

Used mine for the first time properly today since I got it and I must say, the battery didn't fare too well :( Was charged to about 92% when I had to leave the house at 10:00 and it died at 18:30, made a few calls, sent some texts, had meebo running in the background, checked emails, had bluetooth on in van. Nothing seemingly too extensive like GPS, Sat Nav or music running though.

Would be nice if it could be a bit better alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

While the first time is particularly special, it will take a little while for the real fun to begin. Bluetooth is a hungry bugger, or is has been on my Nokias and Blackberrys: I haven't noticed it on the Desire so far, but I tend to switch it off when out of the car. Get a car charger (CPW have them) if going to be running all the extra bits while in the car.

kesey wrote: »
    While the first time is particularly special, it will take a little while for the real fun to begin. Bluetooth is a hungry bugger, or is has been on my Nokias and Blackberrys: I haven't noticed it on the Desire so far, but I tend to switch it off when out of the car. Get a car charger (CPW have them) if going to be running all the extra bits while in the car.
    Make sure the car charger is rated at at least 1000mAH. It's not uncommon for the phone to run out of battery while on a car charger. Some cheap car chargers (Or the generic ones CPW sell for example) are rated at 500mAH. That's fine for listening to music or just syncing but using sat nav for example drains the battery far faster than most car chargers can provide power.

• Advertisement

Well luckily I brough the USB cable with me and I have a 3 socket 12v and usb adaptor, USB_3_Switch_Triple_Socket_12V_Car_Cigarette_Lighter.jpg, so I just plugged the cable into that and it worked fine. I certainly would have been cursing the phone if I was without charging capabilities on the road. Just have to be careful I guess!

Does anyone know a cheap/reliable/good quality place for spare usb cable and battery at all?

cormie wrote: »
    Well luckily I brough the USB cable with me and I have a 3 socket 12v and usb adaptor, , so I just plugged the cable into that and it worked fine. I certainly would have been cursing the phone if I was without charging capabilities on the road. Just have to be careful I guess!

Does anyone know a cheap/reliable/good quality place for spare usb cable and battery at all?

Getting a car charger that can supply enough power to keep the phone running while it's using sat nav (Or any other CPU intensive operation) would be fairly expensive. It's not uncommon for the phone to run out of power while connected to a car charger.

Best bet would be to get an inverter that would let you use your regular wall socket in the car. Cheaper and it has a million other uses besides phone charging.

I have one of them inverters alright that I use for my laptop, very handy indeed!

There seemed to be no issue using the above adaptor in my post, I must test it with the Sat nav and a few other things running too. Infact I even had my standalone Garmin GPS and an in car recorder connected to the same adaptor and the phone had no problems charging up but it could be different if the Sat Nav was running on it alright.

Decided to try the remote from my old nokia 5800 and a pair of panasonic earbud headphones as an alternative to the standard desire set, just hope each part works with the others.....damn htc and their awkward earpieces......or my small ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Your not alone, they dont fit in my ears right.

Would the iPhone type work ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement