Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire Review Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Good to see it helped - I would also add in your number into the phonebook as if people who find it are decent and actually wanting to return it they will look and ring up ''house''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Not a review but just my first impressions of this device (after using it for about a day):

Aesthetics/design: It looks stunning.
    I love how thin and light it is.

The screen is beautiful (if i had one complaint, it sometimes feels like a stretch reaching the top of it at times).

I haven't got fully used to the optical mouse thingy yet- takes a bit of practice when navigating precisely through files.

MicroSD card placement: would prefer if the micro-sd card was hotswappable (ie not buried under the battery meaning you have to turn off the device to access it) but i knew this before i bought it so iy's not a huge issue.

Taking off the back cover is not the nicest of experiences though.
    I'm convinced i'm going to break it every time i do this.
    Presumably, it'll get easier over time.

In terms of the software, everything is beautifully implemented- moving between apps with the sense UI is fairly effortless and everything is extremely responsive- presumably down to the 1g processor.

So far i've used the music app and gmail and i'm quite happy with them.

Having a problem setting POP3 email though- hopefully i can resolve that soon.

The native browser seemed quick enough.
    Love how the multitouch pinch and zoom works here.
    Don't like that stuff like the home and history buttons are a bit buried in the menu.

The touch keyboard takes a bit of getting used to. Also, don't like how you have to prompt it to appear by touching the screen, every time you want to enter text. Hopefully this will improve.

Things i don't like about the device:

Compared to an OS like WM, there doesn't seem to be the same level of control over how things are done and things are a bit more opaque.

Stuff like how and where apps are installed:
    They just seem to be installed and i'm not sure where they went.

Is there an option to save the apk file for example.
    ^ Just found out there is an option to do this with Astro File Manager.

I installed copilot but i don't know where the map file is on the microsd card.
    ^ Just found out Astro File Manager may help with this

I was surprised there was no native file explorer (had to download one of these).

Cutting and pasting files is a bit cumbersome.

I don't like that you can't shut down a lot of the programs- i presume there's an app to do this however.

^ Advanced Task Killer should sort this out.

I'll probably sort a lot of this stuff out eventually so these negatives may not turn out to be negatives at all. :)

As i say this is just my own first impression, to be taken with a pinch of salt. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

mkennedy wrote: »
    They just seem to be installed and i'm not sure where they went.
    For now they are saved to phone memory, they can't be installed to the sd card but they can store their files on an sd card (I.e. a game can store its textures e.t.c on a sd card). This will change with FroYo 2.2 which will be released sometime during June.
    Is there an option to save the apk file for example.
    Not out of the box but if you install a program like Astro file manager from the market you can backup apps and they are saved as apk files.
    Is there an option to stop a download for example?
    In the market you just open the notification bar and click on the file being downloaded, then just tap cancel download. In the browser just long click and you should be able to cancel in the download list.
    I don't like that you can't shut down a lot of the programs- i presume there's an app to do this however.
    Advanced task killer, brilliantly useful. Don't overdo it though, all it takes is for one app to be writing to the sd card and your sd card will be ruined. Android manages its memory well so you shouldn't really need a task manager but the option is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Guys, a bit off track with this question, but does the Vodafone Desire come with any Voda branding on the case, or as part of the firmware? I'm getting mine on Thursday, but would love if there was a brand-free housing!
    TIA

Not out of the box but if you install a program like Astro file manager from the market you can backup apps and they are saved as apk files.

Good to know thanks.
    Just backed up a couple of apps to apks with it- things are looking up :D
    Adds a bit more transparency to things.
    In the market you just open the notification bar and click on the file being downloaded, then just tap cancel download. In the browser just long click and you should be able to cancel in the download list.

Yeah i see that now.
    Dunno how i missed it before.
    Advanced task killer, brilliantly useful. Android manages its memory well so you shouldn't really need a task manager but the option is there.

Just got it- should improve things no end. :)
    Don't overdo it though, all it takes is for one app to be writing to the sd card and your sd card will be ruined.

Are you talking about corrupted files?
    Christ. :eek:
    You mean having too many apps running at a time can do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Are you talking about corrupted files?
    Christ. :eek:
    You mean having too many apps running at a time can do this?
    He means if you use the Task Killer and kill an app while the app is trying to write info to your SD card, it can damage the SD card

He means if you use the Task Killer and kill an app while the app is trying to write info to your SD card, it can damage the SD card

Damn. :eek:

Damn. :eek:
    Don't get so anxious :pac:

The chance of that happening is pretty low but there still is a chance so just be careful and don't kill tasks every ten seconds and you should be fine.

Don't get so anxious :pac:

The chance of that happening is pretty low but there still is a chance so just be careful and don't kill tasks every ten seconds and you should be fine.
    Shhhhhhhh
    We've created the fear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

Hi Guys, the Desire seems to be a very impressive piece of kit but can I ask you this: were any of you tempted to wait a relatively short time to check out what the shortly to be announced Iphone had to offer ?

• Advertisement

slainte1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, the Desire seems to be a very impressive piece of kit but can I ask you this: were any of you tempted to wait a relatively short time to check out what the shortly to be announced Iphone had to offer ?
    I don't rate the iphone at all so I cant say I was tempted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not at all. I didn't want itunes going near my computer for a start and the desire suits my needs. There's ALWAYS going to be something better around the corner (not that the iphone 4 will be) but you may aswell just settle on something that does what you need it to do and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

There will always be pros and cons between the latest gadgets.

The only thing the desire lacks for me, is the market. Once that is running propperly i will love it.
    But, TBH, Partyatmygaf is a genius and If im lucky, ill get my phone rooted and the iphone can suck on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ppk

Obskure wrote: »
    Guys, a bit off track with this question, but does the Vodafone Desire come with any Voda branding on the case, or as part of the firmware? I'm getting mine on Thursday, but would love if there was a brand-free housing!
    TIA

I got one last week from Vodafone, there is no operator branding on the case or firmware. But there is a header and footer added in by the vodafone proxy server when browsing using the mobile network. That can however be easily removed by updating the proxy settings. There is a thread for that here somewhere. Its a great phone.
    -PPK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Nope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kante

Got the new HTC desire yesterday. Love it.

But I have not been able to download an app yet.
    CAn someone direct me to where I might be able to download google sky maps!!!

I have gone onto the androad market but i cant seem to download any of the apps , there's no download option. Also, only 12 apps are viewable in each category( i cant scroll down)

Also, I have a 1GB data plan. How many hours of browsing will this amount to give or take?

And last question...... How the hell whe travelling at 120Km along the M50 does it stream youtube videos perfectly??? Dont worry I was not driving.
    not worthy etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I dont have a desire or any android yet so i will leave the downloading to someone else altho it should be simple.

you scroll down by using your fingers in a scrolly fashion (dunno if that makes sense but ye)

it streams the same way you can get phones calls while a train is going faster - and the same way (well not really) some planes get internet (they use satellites but still).

1 gb can last a month easily by normal browsing and a number of youtube vids - but if it is your sole internet device and not using wifi at all and you download any sort of videos especially hd it can go well withing a day.

It is 4 times the base package for devices like it so it should last a month if you watch your usage - plenty of apps for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Kante wrote: »

Click on Market

Click on the Magnifying Glass Icon to the right of "Market" on the top right of the page that opens up
    Enter "Google Sky Maps" on the dialogue entry section.
    Click on "Free" and Google Sky Maps will install.
    Bob's your uncle,

The iPhone vs the Desire? No competition whatsoever.
    Darksaga87 wrote: »
    There will always be pros and cons between the latest gadgets.

The only thing the desire lacks for me, is the market. Once that is running propperly i will love it.
    What's wrong with the Market?

I have gone onto the androad market but i cant seem to download any of the apps , there's no download option. Also, only 12 apps are viewable in each category( i cant scroll down)

Also, I have a 1GB data plan. How many hours of browsing will this amount to give or take?

And last question...... How the hell whe travelling at 120Km along the M50 does it stream youtube videos perfectly??? Dont worry I was not driving.
    not worthy etc...
    Open market and push the search button in the top right corner then type in sky maps.

As with the Market only showing 12 apps are you connected via WiFi or 3G?

1GB gives you plenty of regular browsing more than enough for a month. But if you watch flash videos or youtube you're going to need an unlimited plan.

Open market and push the search button in the top right corner then type in sky maps.

As with the Market only showing 12 apps are you connected via WiFi or 3G?

Cheers for reply.
    There is no search option on the market page!!!!
    And no download option for any App i click on!! Do I download from the developer website?

If i open the android market from my laptop i initially see 12 app per category( tools, arcade&games ...etc) and i can scroll down to view more in the same category but on the phone there is no sroll option(i can scroll down the page obviously but the apps are in an inner window)

Im on wifi

• Advertisement

Cheers for reply.
    And no download option for any App i click on!! Do I download from the developer website?

If i open the android market from my laptop i initially see 12 app per category( tools, arcade&games ...etc) and i can scroll down to view more in the same category but on the phone there is no sroll option(i can scroll down the page obviously but the apps are in an inner window)

Im on wifi
    It's in the top right corner, it's not a text box it's just a magnifying glass. Hit that and you'll get a text box where you can type in your search.

Scroll down to the very bottom of a page when you open an app and there should be a download button.

What do you mean the apps are in an inner window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Cheers for reply.

Im on wifi

Use the 'Market' option/app in the main menu (on your phone) rather then accessing it through your browser. Apologies if that's what you're doing

Cheers for reply.

Im on wifi
    Are you actually using the market application or just going to the markets website :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

ha, he's looking at it from his laptop. You can't use the market from your PC.

You have to click the market app on your phone.

OMG. I was going to http://www.android.com/market/#app=com.gamevil.bs09lite on the phone and could not understand whey the functionality was not there..

perfectly reasonable mistake to make imho.

thanks

Oh my Christ.... Is doodle jump on android?????

@partyatmygaf any chance you can help me root my desire? :)

OMG. I was going to http://www.android.com/market/#app=com.gamevil.bs09lite on the phone and could not understand whey the functionality was not there..

perfectly reasonable mistake to make imho.

thanks
    If you want to browse from your laptop go to www.androlib.com.
    Contains all the apps and each has a QR code you can scan with barcode scanner to get to it in the market.
    Oh my Christ.... Is doodle jump on android?????
    Is indeed :D

Culchie playa haters,.,,, Just like tupac says,,, .. just like tupac says,.

:) Thanks again.

ps: Barcode scanner wtf.. ! Mna this phone is cool.

For me, i cant get the paid apps. Hench my plee for help! :)

• Advertisement

Culchie playa haters,.,,, Just like tupac says,,, .. just like tupac says,.

:) Thanks again.

ps: Barcode scanner wtf.. ! Mna this phone is cool.
    The barcode scanner works on 3d barcodes (i.e. the ones you find on some websites) you just scan the barcode and it brings you to a site or gives you a phone number e.t.c.

For me, i cant get the paid apps. Hench my plee for help! :)
    Just root the phone and use MarketEnabler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Darksage, if you follow this there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it yourself. I can't imaging PAMG being any more help than he has been in this already :)

www.vantasks.ie/xpdesireroot.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

ppk wrote: »
    I got one last week from Vodafone, there is no operator branding on the case or firmware. But there is a header and footer added in by the vodafone proxy server when browsing using the mobile network. That can however be easily removed by updating the proxy settings. There is a thread for that here somewhere. Its a great phone.
    -PPK

Just to add a note:- I got my Desire today. From Vodafone. No network branding, No case branding & SIM-FREE!!! Happy chappy here! Lovely phone but I don't know about the phone book though! Will have to wait & see a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

what's the story with anti-virus software for the desire,is it an issue?
    if so what's the best anti-virus app to install?
    i saved a movie from my laptop on to the micro sd card on my phone but i can't find it on it and so obviously can't watch it,is it possible to watch movies on the desire?
    also,what is the best app for downloading youtube clips on to my phone?
    sorry for all the questions but i'm a complete novice when it comes to android..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VPS

I’m looking for a phone with offline GPS and TV-out.

I'd like to Download maps once and use GPS feature without connecting to internet like say Nokia X6.

Is this how GPS on HTC Desire works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

VPS wrote: »

I'd like to Download maps once and use GPS feature without connecting to internet like say Nokia X6.

You can get offline GPS called co pilot& its pretty good.
    Not sure of it has tv out as they didn't supply cables for it I seriously doubt it.

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Theres a few apps but I havnt needed to use any as of yet
    There highest rated on the market is just called antivirus(theres free & pro versions)
    i saved a movie from my laptop on to the micro sd card on my phone but i can't find it on it and so obviously can't watch it,is it possible to watch movies on the desire?
    Its possible but theres not too many supported codecs/containers
    I used to use one called tubedroid but this is gone now.Think theres one called youdownload or somethin
    sorry for all the questions but i'm a complete novice when it comes to android..
    VPS wrote: »
    No TV out on the Desire im afraid

There is a few GPS apps that allow this but none free that are very good. CoPilot & Navigon come to mind are pretty good and not very expensive

Like above there is some that you can download maps and then theres ones like Google Maps Navigation that use data
    Answers on a postcard

No viruses exist for Android and to be quite honest I doubt any will ever be made.

Android is based on Linux anyway so security will never be an issue.

Thanks for the replies lads

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Is the desire branded or locked if bought from carphonewarehouse on o2?

Loggie wrote: »
    Is the desire branded or locked if bought from carphonewarehouse on o2?
    Yes to both.

Vodafone and Meteor don't brand or lock the Desire.

• Advertisement

I got my Desire on o2 in CPW and it isn't branded or locked.I think she just gave me one of the sim free ones for originally sourced for meteor bill pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

I got one today from CPW and switched to bill phone, it's working ok but it's working as a prepay phone still. How long should it take to switch over to the billpay?

gaz15 wrote: »
    I got one today from CPW and switched to bill phone, it's working ok but it's working as a prepay phone still. How long should it take to switch over to the billpay?

I got mine in a meteor store and it switched over immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Thinking on getting one of these on a Vodafone bill pay upgrade but would need it unlocked to use on Meteor pre-pay, is it really unlocked from the get go?

just realised that i posted this in the apple media devices thread last night,maybe someone on here might be able to help.

Every time I try to make a SKP call through fring it keeps saying "skype call: login in.please try again in a moment."
    It then ends the call.
    Does anyone know what the problem is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Thinking on getting one of these on a Vodafone bill pay upgrade but would need it unlocked to use on Meteor pre-pay, is it really unlocked from the get go?

Thats no problem. I got the desire on my dad's bill pay upgrade (160e buying online) put my meteor sim card in. no bothers

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

just realised that i posted this in the apple media devices thread last night,maybe someone on here might be able to help.

Every time I try to make a SKP call through fring it keeps saying "skype call: login in.please try again in a moment."
    It then ends the call.
    Does anyone know what the problem is?

As far as I know Skype only works on Android phones via Skype-lite. I tried that but couldn't get it to work.

I can make Voip calls from my Desire using Fring with WWW.freespeech.ie though, and it works very well.

Hope someone else can advise a Skype solution for you, tho the Skype forums that I searched could through no light on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Thats no problem. I got the desire on my dad's bill pay upgrade (160e buying online) put my meteor sim card in. no bothers

Just to clarify, would it be locked if I bought it on Vodafone but not from a Vodafone store, i.e. in somewhere like the Carphone Warehouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

How does the desire deal with text messages. Are both sent & received messages displayed like on the iPhone?

Also, for cabbage, does it display both received & sent messages? So you would use up the free messages and then start using paid texts? Basically, cabbage would be your only messaging app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Yeah when you click a message it shows like a thread of what you and the other person said in order. Shows txts from other days too with the date on top.

Not sure about cabbage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement