Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire Review Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How does the desire deal with text messages. Are both sent & received messages displayed like on the iPhone?

Also, for cabbage, does it display both received & sent messages? So you would use up the free messages and then start using paid texts? Basically, cabbage would be your only messaging app.

Yep, even if you write a text in cabbage, it will show in the normal sent way which is handy. You could just use cabbage if you wanted, but you'd have to open cabbage each time you want to send a text, as opposed to just writing a reply straight away when you get a text. Personally if I'm going to the effort already of writing a text on my phone, I'll just send it normally and it'll come out of my text allowance each month and this means I can save my cabbage/webtexts for typing them on my pc, unless of course it's international :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How does the GPS on the desire compare to the iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cork45 wrote: »
    How does the GPS on the desire compare to the iPhone?
    Far better.

I get a lock in about 3 seconds and the navigation is very good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I effing love Navigation, used it for the first time this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Baza210 wrote: »
    I effing love Navigation, used it for the first time this weekend.

I noticed today copilot doesn't pick up a ring road that has been there for the last three years.
    I thought navteq or teleatlas data pretty much had Ireland covered.
    Especially with updates coming out every few months.
    Otherwise i like copilot.
    How are others finding it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mkennedy wrote: »
    I noticed today copilot doesn't pick up a ring road that has been there for the last three years.
    I thought navteq or teleatlas data pretty much had Ireland covered.
    Especially with updates coming out every few months.
    Otherwise i like copilot.
    How are others finding it?
    The problem with this is Ireland doesn't actually have a central record of road mappings.Everything is left to individual councils so road mappings always be a bit wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Got mine a few days ago and overall I am well impressed, battery life is better than I expected, screen is really good....but there's always something. I don't like the text messages interface, call me old fashioned but I'd prefer to just see a regular list of messages with the unread messages appearing in bold on the list. Anyone know if it's possible to configure for that or maybe an app that does it?

Other than that there is not much else to say, I am glad I got one.

There's chompSMS and Handcent, both of which are popular Messaging replacements, but I'm not sure if they do what you want..

I picked one up this morning and have it on charge at the moment, I can't wait to give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Just picked up a brand new Desire today and have it charging. I was just wondering what peoples experiences are with wear and tear on the Desire in the initial few days. I've ordered a Zagg full body protector and want to ensure it is in immaculate condition before the protector goes on.

Would I be better off leaving out of my poscket etc. until then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

For best results leave it in the box :D

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and have been reasonably careful with it but I've had it with me every day. There's not a scratch on it and my Zagg just went on yesterday.

I've ordered a rubber case from eBay too though. I always end up dropping my phone once or twice during its life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

For best results leave it in the box :D

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and have been reasonably careful with it but I've had it with me every day. There's not a scratch on it and my Zagg just went on yesterday.

I've ordered a rubber case from eBay too though. I always end up dropping my phone once or twice during its life.

once or twice during its life?:eek: I'd be lucky to get through a week without dropping my phone once or twice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Just picked up a brand new Desire today and have it charging. I was just wondering what peoples experiences are with wear and tear on the Desire in the initial few days. I've ordered a Zagg full body protector and want to ensure it is in immaculate condition before the protector goes on.

I've mine a month now & there's not a scratch on it.
    Didnt get a case or anything, just keep it in a pocket on its own or with soft things only.
    No keys or coins anyway.
    When I leave it in a table I always leave it face up so the screen doesn't get scratched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Keith186 wrote: »
    I've mine a month now & there's not a scratch on it.
    Didnt get a case or anything, just keep it in a pocket on its own or with soft things only.
    No keys or coins anyway.
    When I leave it in a table I always leave it face up so the screen doesn't get scratched

Same here, these screens are pretty tough and scratch resistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi lads, sorry if this is off topic but does the desire stream audio over Bluetooth. I.e. Can a connect it to my stereo over a Bluetooth connection for audio

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

If your stereo supports A2DP then you can indeed stream music from the desire.
    OI wrote: »
    Hi lads, sorry if this is off topic but does the desire stream audio over Bluetooth. I.e. Can a connect it to my stereo over a Bluetooth connection for audio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OEM-Neoprene-Case-Pouch-HTC-Nexus-One-G5-Android-/160428233754?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item255a44941a

Knock-off of the original Nexus One pouches, with the cool little android logo. I got one a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good quality for the price (£3.49 delivered!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Still waiting on my case from ebay, im always so freaked out carrying it. Anyone who touchs it, prepare to loose some fingers.

But as I expected, i have dropped it once since i got it about 2 weeks ago. Dropped it on saturday while acting the b***x on a garden chair and it slid out of my pocket, i nearly had a heart attack. But all is good, just a little shaken :D. But she will be grand.
    Ive got the tinyest paint chip on the phone (from my keys in my pocket i presume) and its driving me up the wall. Its barely noticable, but as its my phone, its all i see. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If I were to get a Desire on Vodafone and it turned out to be locked, just how hard are they to get unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    If I were to get a Desire on Vodafone and it turned out to be locked, just how hard are they to get unlocked?

If you're on pre-pay I know you can do it on their website if you've topped up by €130 in the past.

I also looked on the web and unlock codes can be obtained for around €20. Theres a crowd in Sandyford that also quoted me €30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

The longer you leave it, the more likely it is to be locked.
    As the stock of newly introduced phones levels out and Vodafone gets to grips with the initial demand, their high end phones tend to come branded and locked. It's like the early bird catching the worm. This has been my experience with Vodafone the last 3 years anyway as I am an O2 bill-pay customer.
    On the other hand, it's hard to know what they(Vodafone) can do with HTC Sense already over-laid on the Android Operating System

I bought one from them yesterday and it was unlocked so if you get one quick it should be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

cork45 did you get it online or in a store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

i bought one today in the grafton street store from vodafone and its unlocked with no vodafone software or labelling. its pure class :)

How much did it set you back?

cork45 did you get it online or in a store?

I bought it at the Vodafone shop in Oliver Plunkett Street Cork.

Thanks, there sold out online so thought they would be difficult to get in stores. Maybe not.

How much did you pay? I got one myself online for €399 when I switched my number to Voda but looking for one for my sister now, she'll be moving from meteor too so just wondering what the prices are like.

I paid €419 for it with a new number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

cormie wrote: »
    Received one of the two skins I bought today, I think it's the cheaper one and I must say it fits the Desire like a glove! Has the right holes in all the right places and it even has "the chin". It's a good thickness for protection and doesn't cover over the screen at all. Even though there are silicone buttons for home, menu etc, I didn't have to get used to it. I kinda forgot the skin was on and was just pressing them as normal and didn't even think it felt any different which is a good thing!

Will probably get the other one in the next day or two, PAMG, you can have whichever one I don't keep for your troubles :)

Must be a durex:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

How much did it set you back?

cost 429 euro's which isn't bad considering the online price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I posted this in the bargain requests forum, but I bought one from an O2 shop yesterday (pre-pay) for €400, and it is not sim-locked. While I am an O2 bill-pay customer, I tried my OH's meteor sim, and it worked fine.

There is some branding (startup and shut-down logo) but i'm sure this is easy enough to fix on Android.

I posted this in the bargain requests forum, but I bought one from an O2 shop yesterday (pre-pay) for €400, and it is not sim-locked. While I am an O2 bill-pay customer, I tried my OH's meteor sim, and it worked fine.

There is some branding (startup and shut-down logo) but i'm sure this is easy enough to fix on Android.
    I did the same but I dont have any branding.Must have gotten an earlier batch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Have the desire about 2 weeks now. Awesome phone. 3 things I'm looking for help with:

1) Is it possible to synch the birthdays from Facebook with my calendar. I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't but it aint happening for me. Has anyone got this working?

2) Should my contacts photo's update as they update their facebook profile photos? Since I first set it up 2 weeks ago I know some people have changed their profile photo but this aint reflected in my contacts.

3) sometimes pinch zoom stops working for me. Right now it ain't working for me in the internet browser or on the homescreens. It's happened a few times before and its taken a restart to sort it. Anyone ever had this issue?

Thanks

Lads, can you tether with the Desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yep, bluetooth or usb for now and when FroYo arrives you'll have WiFi tethering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

from Page 141 of the User Manual for the Desire:

"Using your phone as a modem (tethering)
    Get online with your notebook or desktop computer at any time, using your phone’s data connection. For information on setting up and using the data connection, see “Data connection” earlier in this chapter.
    You need to install HTC Sync before you can use your phone as a modem. Refer to “Using HTC Sync” in the Sync chapter for details.
    You need a SIM card installed on your phone to use it as a modem for your computer.

1. Make sure your phone’s data connection is turned on. See “Turning the data connection on or off” earlier in this chapter to learn how to turn on the phone’s data connection.
    2. Connect the phone to the computer using the provided USB cable.
    3. On the Connect to PC screen, select Internet sharing, and then tap Done.

When you are using your phone as a modem, the USB mass storage feature is disabled, and you are also not able to use HTC Sync.

Anyone with a Desire that wants one of the Nexus One "Android" sleeves, check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=673135

Thanks for the great info lads, think I'm definitely gonna get this now on o2 with the free tethering add on

• Advertisement

Have the desire about 2 weeks now. Awesome phone. 3 things I'm looking for help with:

1) Is it possible to synch the birthdays from Facebook with my calendar. I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't but it aint happening for me. Has anyone got this working?
    Im not sure what it takes to turn this on properly.Sometimes they show up for me,sometimes they dont :confused:

2) Should my contacts photo's update as they update their facebook profile photos? Since I first set it up 2 weeks ago I know some people have changed their profile photo but this aint reflected in my contacts.
    Do you have your Facebook for HTC Sense account set to update manually or on a set time?

3) sometimes pinch zoom stops working for me. Right now it ain't working for me in the internet browser or on the homescreens. It's happened a few times before and its taken a restart to sort it. Anyone ever had this issue?
    Cant say ive come across this yet
    Thanks
    ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anyone any idea how much these bad boys costs?

I'm on meteors bill pay lite option (€10) and am torn between

iPhone
    Desire
    Nexus one

I figure im going the android route, but I dont know the difference between the nexus one and desire, and why one is a monster bigger price.

Any info could supply would rock ;)

On Billpay Lite the Desire will cost you just as much as a Nexus One - you don't get a subsidy on handsets.

On Billpay Lite the Desire will cost you just as much as a Nexus One - you don't get a subsidy on handsets.

: / fail

I was on a much higher contract last year, got offered the bill pay lite as an incentive to keep me on and they assured me I would still benefit from cheaper upgrade offers.

They tell me today that was an error on their staffs part, who shouldnt have said that as it was incorrect ( its marked as a note on my file) but they cant offer me the upgrade offers.

So again, for my loyalty in staying with meteor since they arrived here, I'm shafted...again

Cant justify going up to a higher tariff since I just dont spend more then my €10 a month, but I'm pretty aggrevated that I got false information and I'm now stuck with a dick in my hand.

Edit:

Got a return call from one of their agents

I was r informed that I wasnt bound to any contract, as an offering to " make up for the mixup" my contract has been removed and I'm being allowed to operate on a rolling contract monthly.

A nice gesture I guess in the end, but its still pretty frustrating since i was so accustomed to buying a new phone every year or so : /

Edit Edit:

Want a smartphone so bad I'd consider upping my tarriff to the connect 20, however they no longer offer free texts to meteor networks which is absolutely insane. Considering i send over 5 thousand texts a month on average all to meteor numbers, I cant say I'm pushed to move.

Wonder how long I'll even get my free texts package, if they stop free texts, I'm pretty much off, only thing keeping me there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

They won't give you a subsidised phone with 5000 texts for a tenner a month? Outrageous. Z:D

Ok I got this today, its fantastic altogether. Does everything I wish my old iPhone did. Just streaming audio to my Bluetooth stereo and it even works with my stereo remote to skip songs etc. Battery lasted only 10 hours but that's to be expected

• Advertisement

TheDoc, BillPay Lite has always been a rolling contract, that's not a compensation at all. Fwiw I'm on BPL for €10 with the €15 10GB data add-on. Buying an Android phone without data is pointless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

JustinOval wrote: »
    They won't give you a subsidised phone with 5000 texts for a tenner a month? Outrageous. Z:D

I'm sure I could have missed some of the mutlitude of contract options in the UK, but the cheapest I came across was GBP40 for 18 months and 600 minutes, unlmited texts (although they said they might start noticing once you hit 5000 a month) and unlimited data ( and for that they claimed between 5gb and 10gb depending on who you talked to in the shop).

For that I got a free phone. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Buying an Android phone without data is pointless.

I've got an Android phone without data. Wireless at home and wireless in work. Synchs up mail and other apps while on wireless. It still works as a phone and the apps work while not on wireless.

Having a data plan would be better but it's not pointless without it.

TheDoc, BillPay Lite has always been a rolling contract, that's not a compensation at all. Fwiw I'm on BPL for €10 with the €15 10GB data add-on. Buying an Android phone without data is pointless.

I'd well plan to buy a data addon...I'd say ill just scower for second hand ones

Heard a few people saying they are in carephone warehouse pay as you got for €399? this true?

If so they will give me €100 for my current phone making it a very much worthwhile purchase.

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT ***

Trawled the search function to try find some information. Turns out I can get it for €400 + my phone valued at €100.

Jesus these things are pricey, I keep having second thoughts just not being able to commit to purchasing a phone worth that much : /

Edit EDIT****

Got off the phone with them there. Told me I can buy a sim free package from O2 for €349. With my trade in offer I'll get it for €249.

Meteor pricing is €499 sim free. Thats unreal

She may or may have misquoted a price, but I got a confirmed price of €399 paid by a couple of boardies here with o2 sim free, so worst case scenario I pay €50 more.

Wel lexcited to grab this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Have the Desire over a week now. Getting used to it slowly, as I have come all the way from a 5 year old Nokia something or other, so smart phone stuff takes getting used to.

One thing baffeled me this morning, when I tried to use the € symbol when sending an SMS!

Couldn't for the life of me see it on the virtual key pad. Anyone care to show me where it resides:pac:

T

• Advertisement
Advertisement