Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many europa spots will there be?

• 12-04-2010 4:39pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With Chelsea going to be in the CL and Pompey not eligable for European football (are they appealing that now? and with Liverpool (and Fulham) potential Euopa winners this season, how many Europa league spots could be allocated to the premiership next year? and how many do people think will be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

At the moment 5th and 6th are both going into the Play-Off Round with 7th going in at the Third Qualifying round. This is based on Portsmouth not being eligible to play in Europe next season, as they didn't apply for a licence as their finances were all over the shop and they wouldn't have got the licence anyway. They are appealing this but I don't think there is even the remotest chance it will be overturned given what UEFA having been saying about financial prudence and responsibility the last while. Overturning the rules for a relegated club in administration = no chance.

One thing that might change things, is if Liverpool win the cup as the reigning champions get to enter into the competition at the group stages.

However I don't think this mean that the PL would automatically get an extra place but rather that the additional place would be redistributed using UEFA's weird ranking system so I'm not too sure on who would benefit. I think it would depend on where Liverpool finish in the league whether there would be two Third Qualifying Round places or just one. Not 100% sure on all of this, though.

Useful info below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_UEFA_Europa_League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Premier_League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's not UEFA's deadline that Pompey have missed though. It's the FA's deadline for applying for a UEFA licence( Strange I know ). Pompey have appealed to the FA to allow them to apply for a UEFA licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Do Portsmouth just consider themselves exempt from all rules now, or what's the story? Third time they've asked for special treatment in the last month or so, you'd swear the FA were responsible for messing them up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so apparently Portsmouths appeal didnt work, so what happens to the extra europa spot now? do 7th (Liverpool) get it? What happens if Liverpool win the Europa? does 8th (Everton) get the spot or do some other league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

do 7th (Liverpool) get it?
    Yes.
    What happens if Liverpool win the Europa? does 8th (Everton) get the spot or do some other league?
    I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

Lot of rumours flying around about who gets into Europe. Here's how it is;

If Liverpool win and finish inside the Europa League places there is not an extra position opened up. However, if Liverpool or Fulham finish 8th (or lower) and win the competiton this year, they do get a place, but this is not at the expense of any other English team (i.e. neither can take Everton's place, if Everton finished 7th). Additionally, there is a chance of a Fair Play place to whoever the best-behaved team in the league are, but I have no idea who this is. So theoretically as many as 9 English teams in next year's European competitons (5 in the Europa).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm sure UEFA will come up with an adsurd new law which will allow Liverpool into the Champions League regardless of where they finish in the league or Europa cup.

Wait and see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'm sure UEFA will come up with an adsurd new law which will allow Liverpool into the Champions League regardless of where they finish in the league or Europa cup.

Wait and see....

Wanna bet?

Wanna bet?

No! Although i do think the Europa winner should get a place in the champs league qualifying stages or group stages

Wait and see....

What, you mean like suddenly introducing a play-off system which would give the 7th-placed team a chance of Champion's League football!?

Don't be daft!

• Advertisement

No! Although i do think the Europa winner should get a place in the champs league qualifying stages or group stages

well afaik the champs qualify in some form and since 7th is now getting a spot due to Pompey i really cant see Liverpool not getting into the competition again next year unless they lose their remaining games and everton catch them which isnt too likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think there are 3 spots for Fair Play in the Europa with the EPL at third in the rankings at the moment (not 100%)

Current Fair Play table

Arsenal
    Spurs
    Fulham
    Utd
    Chelsea
    Burnley
    Villa
    City
    West Ham

So Burnley might have a shout of qualifying for the Europa if all of the others qualify via other means :eek:
    If Burnley go nuts and have a few players sent off/pick up a rake of yellows West Ham might possibly be in with a shout.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

3, I think.

well afaik the champs qualify in some form and since 7th is now getting a spot due to Pompey i really cant see Liverpool not getting into the competition again next year unless they lose their remaining games and everton catch them which isnt too likely.

The europa winner doesnt get into the champions league as far as I know

The europa winner doesnt get into the champions league as far as I know

o right um this thread isnt about the champions league

Advertisement