Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Management

Options
  • 12-04-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on which Project management course or college has the best course/rep. It seems impossible to get an honest opinion and each college seems to be giving awards from different bodies. I want to ensure the course I do is good and the qualification I receive valid! Anyone know anything about the course offered by The Commincations Management Institute ( ICM award the diploma), The Institute of Project Management ireland or DBS?

I appreciate any advice from people who have done this course/ work in the area of PM or have done courses in the above colleges who can give me some insight!

Thanks

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Hi there,

There are basically two main Project Management systems used worldwide i.e. PRINCE2 and that of the Project Management Institute (PMI). PRINCE2 is used a lot in public bodies and originated in the UK. The PMI system is the one mostly used by industry worldwide and originated in the USA.

While I can't advise you on a school I suggest that you should pick one that gives you the PMI qualification as this is more widely accepted if you want to make a career in Project Management.

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pixie2010

Thanks Gerry. I've heard of both of those. CMI's course gives you 70 credits towards the PMI qualification (not sure what this means!) and is a recognised education provider for the PMI so I am swaying in their direction. As I'm not currently working in project management it will be hard to get my PMI qualification as I won't have the logged hours in PM for it. My aim is that doing this course I may be able to break into project management and work towards getting the PMI qualification!

Veronica

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

Hi, I was just wondering does anyone know what reputation the MSc in Project Management from the Michael Smurfit Graduate school has in Ireland and worldwide? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

I do know that the Michael Smurfit Graduate school is internationally recognised as the best business graduate school in the country and is highly rated in Europe so you should have no problem with their MSc except for the price!

By the way I have absolutely no involvement or relationship with the Michael Smurfit Graduate school.

S

Advertisement