Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need Physics to study Astronomy

Options
  • 12-04-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am really interested in astronomy and find it fascinating. I wasnt great at maths in school though (did pass) and never had an aptitude for maths or physics.

Would this be a big disadvantage to me in an astronomy course say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

This is one of the books they use in DCU on their Physics with Astronomy course :

http://www.shopireland.ie/books/detail/0716795647/universe-/

I bought it, and it is really good, goes into a lot of detail, plus there is a lot of maths which would give you an idea of what to expect. But you don't need to read the maths sections if you don't want to, and you'll still get a lot of information of out the book.

Imo, the two are connected - you'll need some physics to get a good understanding of astronomy if you intend to work in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

yes , you very much need physics and maths. Astronomy shares alot of topics and classes in many colleges with their regular physics courses. Infact in most cases, the astonomers have more maths due to them doing general relativity in more depth. Not to phase you but general relativity is so maths involved that in most places, it is thought by the maths departments not the science ones.

Advertisement