Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair colour advice

• 12-04-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I'm really ignorant about hair colour. I've avoided it for many years as I quite liked my dark brown colour but have had to resort to it in recent years due to advancing years and advancing grey!

I haven't been happy with any job I've had done. I don't seem to understand what the colourist is saying nor am I able to communicate with the colourist - its like we are speaking different languages. Part of the problem is that it seems like 90% of women are looking for blonde highlights and I am not.

Words like "flat" "lowlights" "meche" "permanent" mean nothing to me. I've been looking for magazines on understadning haircolour without success. Can anyone recommend a way to understand and a source of really good photos of colour options? BTW I have tried all of this with the hairdressers - going as far as making a separate appointment just to discuss the colour but it was just the same communication difficulty. Everything she said I didn't understand and when I asked for an explanation it seemed to be in a secret code.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Hi :) I'll try explain
    Flat - in my opinion meaning dull not glossy or shiny, or not voluminous
    Lowlights - these are strips of colour darker than your hair colour - and highlights are strands lighter than your hair colour. So if you are a medium blonde you could get some bright blonde highlights and some brown lowlights
    Meche - I believe its just highlights done with bleach only - so bright blonde highlights
    permanent - means it will not wash off. So next time you get your colour done you just need to cover the roots with the same colour.
    Semi permanent - means it will fade after a couple of washes (well maybe 10-15 washes) but if you have alot of grey, this won't cover the grey hair.

Semi permanent also leaves the hair glossy and shiny, whereas permanent colour tends to make it not as shiny...but if you have ALOT of grey hair then permanent colour is the only one to use, as semi perment either wont cover it or will wash off and you will see greys again.

If you just want to cover up the grey and keep all over brown colour, then that's what you say.

Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Thanks a million for taking the time that definitely helps.

Could I be greedy and also ask if you could recommend any magazines available on the shelves that show a wide range of hair colours possible? I have looked but haven't found any - I always feel pressurised by the style magazines in the hairdressers - I'd love to have a really wide range of examples to look over in peace and privacy at home and to get friends opnions on. When you consider how much is spent on hair colour I think not enough is put into researching what suits.

ta again

Advertisement