Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BA in Contemporary culture and society

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thecatsmother

im from clondalkin , im quite a bit away . i notice that your from dun laoghaire , its quite nice there

• Registered Users Posts: 24 carrie19

im from clondalkin , im quite a bit away . i notice that your from dun laoghaire , its quite nice there
    ah thats cool, yea it is ^_^
    What modules did ya pick for semester 1?

im doing :
    media technology
    introduction to Social Studies
    The Language of Literature
    introduction to Politics

a bit of a mixed bunch

im doing :
    media technology
    introduction to Social Studies
    The Language of Literature
    introduction to Politics

a bit of a mixed bunch

Ohh thats cool, im doin Language of Literature,Human Development : Power and Politics,The Emergence of Modern America,Introduction to social studies.
    I am never gonna make social studies on fridays haha :')

same here , i have a four hour break on mondays too :( i might do all my assignments then :)

same here , i have a four hour break on mondays too :( i might do all my assignments then :)

Aw thats annoying, im lucky i dont have anything like that lol

you are very lucky then !!!! i hope semester 2 isnt the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 janepops

carrie19 wrote: »
    Ohh thats cool, im doin Language of Literature,Human Development : Power and Politics,The Emergence of Modern America,Introduction to social studies.
    I am never gonna make social studies on fridays haha :')

haha i'm totally with ya i'm never guna make social studies at all...it's the only thing i have all day on thursdays and fridays! anyone else have ridiculous hours? i have 13 a week! some of my mates in other courses have like 30 haha haaate that:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd 14 hours a week for the second semester last year. There's supposed to be loads of "independant learning" though. Meaning you should be sitting in the library for hours a day!

• Advertisement

janepops wrote: »
    haha i'm totally with ya i'm never guna make social studies at all...it's the only thing i have all day on thursdays and fridays! anyone else have ridiculous hours? i have 13 a week! some of my mates in other courses have like 30 haha haaate that:)
    SAME! gah i never thought id wish for more classes haha. in some ways i do wish we had more hours because it means less independent work...nah im happy :D
    Anyone else already loving Vera Sheridan?she seems so lovely <3

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Vera's really nice and helpful. Really interesting backround too, make sure you go to that lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 badradio

i despise writing that journal....its like being in transition year all over again

badradio wrote: »
    i despise writing that journal....its like being in transition year all over again

I wrote mine the day before it was handed in, made it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I was one of the first graduates of CCS and I really enjoyed it. It did have lots of flaws with lots of changes in classes and strands but that is to be expected as we were the first year to do it. The course was fantastic being really broad and it really opened my eyes to education and worldwide culture. I found the intercultural communications class very benefical for careers and loved Cultural Studies. Vera Sheridan is lovely, is she still the coordinator?

Bottom line, I would highly recemmend this course for people who don't know what to do for a career, as I didn't know what I wanted to do. The course opens lots of options, you get to know who you are, what you are suited for as you are doing lots of things. The class is a nice size and you meet different kinds of people, mature and school leavers.

I don't believe that some degrees are "toilet paper" degrees as you could go anywhere if you got the ambition. Also another tip get involved with soceites and clubs as they could have a big impact on your chosen career. You would get lots of expereince being on committees, doing management and PRO as this looks great for employers as it shows you get involved and are active. When I was in DCU and I am, I got involved with running events and run events for a large Japanese animation and pop culture convention named Eitakon which attracts over 1000 people young and old. We also have links to the global industry. This is the same for people who get involved with Style Stoc (DCU Fashion Society) with the fashion show and other big events.

From my involement from running society events and now a graduate, I will be doing a postgraduate Diploma in Cultural Event and Business Managment in IADT Dun Laoighre, aiming to set up my own business in a cultural niche market. I am also looking at doing Event Management because of my expereince with Eirtakon and DCU events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Roxy07

I was considering doing this course too and putting it down as my first choice on the cao. I was wondering does anyone know if you need to have done spanish in school to pick it as a module from one of the strands and also is there many assignments and presentations in this course. What kind of postgraduate degrees are possible from this course, any one with information id be greatful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

ye im tnkin of aplyin 4 dis kors. is der mny hrs per week or wotz d stry??

ne1 no wot jobs r lik aftwurds?

im n mu fone her so soz!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 reux_

Hey guys. Just looking into CCS for next year. It seems pretty great so far.

Did anyone study American Political Systems, The Emergence of Modern America, Human Development: Power and Politics, Language, Culture and International Communication, Cultural Studies or Analysing Media Content in first year?

Those would be the moduals that I'm most interested in and I'm just inquiring about the standard of them really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I know I'm way late to this thread but seeing as it was the most active about this course I said I'd post here.. Just wondering how exactly the course structure works. E.g. how many modules from each of the optional 3 strands do you choose in 1st year and from the choice two in 2nd and 3rd? Also what would be the main books to get for the core modules? Really appreciate if someone could get back to me on this! It would be good to know how you're all getting on 2 years on too.. Thank you :)

Advertisement