Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol measurements/lawnmower fuel

Options
  • 12-04-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Today I visited my local Tesco petrol pumps and took two petrol containers labelled as having a 5-liter capacity to fill for my lawnmower.
    They weren't completely empty.

Here is a link to the receptacles I used
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=3882&loc=P&catid=102.10.4

My bill was over 15Euro. The amount of fuel delivered in total was 11.58liters
    and not 10Liters or under.

Later this evening I will fill my tractor mower with the fuel and once the canister is emptied I will try to fill it with 5 x 1 liter water (using bottled water 1Liter or 2 liter containers and a funnel).
    Any other physical explanation (eg, evaporation) why there would be such a discrepancy.
    At the moment I am hoping that the issue is that the receptacles are 5.8Liters volume rather than the stated 5Liters. Otherwise I think I'll be talking to the weights and measures office or equivalent who watchdog these pumps.

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

yes them containers always have more room than 5liters in them, its so when you fill 5 liters its not right up to the cap. i think i once got 6 liters into one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Ok. that's fine.
    I figured that the weights and measures office or equiv. would police the pumps to the nth degree.
    Good so !

thanks DD

Ok. that's fine.
    I figured that the weights and measures office or equiv. would police the pumps to the nth degree.
    Good so !

thank you DD

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yes them containers always have more room than 5liters in them, its so when you fill 5 liters its not right up to the cap.
    Correct, the term is ullage, like how your 2L bottle of coke or milk is never to the brim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullage

Often you will see a indented mark or line near the top of such containers, and it would be approx 5L to the line.

cool link.. Ullage ...

uh huh, hehe, uh huh, that wiki said Bunghole

Cornholio

You guys bring out the worst in me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

What's a liter?

Do you mean a litre?

Are you being a little pedantic ? I mean both.
    Out of habit I used the American spelling

I spend a lot of time interacting with US multinationals and occasionally I've let some of those American variant spellings slip out in e-mails, etc.

To be honest I'm probably as rigid as you are in this respect most of the time.
    I'd never use the spelling color, for example in place of colour but I have often
    used -ize endings in place of -ise endings and meter, liter , etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

it is dangerous to fill petrol cans to the brim, thats why they have the bit of extra space

"Fuel expands and vapour can build up in hot weather, so avoid filling to the brim"

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/climate_environment_air_quality_health_safety/health_and_safety/safe_storage_and_use_of_fuel.aspx

Advertisement