Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled ; Touring Kayak Suitability?

• 12-04-2010 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Right. My mate's a chair user and wants to get into this as a workout / into the wild type sport. Reckons it'd be ideal, used to be into all sorts before injury.

I'm not sure about the stability of the tourers and I've only used short dagger type things in the past a few times so am not experienced at all to advise him. He can't really use the knees to stabilise himself in the boat though has good trunk function.

Would he be alright in one of these? Am thinking of getting one myself to accompany him on the lakes.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

I haven't got time to give a full reply, but while working in the UK a while back I did a resonable amount of work with people who had ( a phrase I hate to use) Special needs.

It really depens on what kind of mobility your friend has as to what typr of kayaking he can take up. If he is a first timer somethign like s Perception Kiwi may be perfect for him.

But if he wants some inspirationas to what is possible get him to check out this wee film HERE

Any questions ask away or if there is anything I can do to help ye out let me know.

Adrian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

There are lots of options for chair users.
    Canadian canoes I have had experience with using these with chair users and they prove pretty good as very little risk of entrapment and lots of scope for modification and personalization of the outfitting.

The next best thing may be a good quality sit on top with lots of back support and a good seat. Im sure any of the shops could advise on the best one for your needs. Sit on top kayaks are usually wide and low to the water which make them very stable and they come in all different shape and sizes.

The next would be a touring/rec kayak something like this http://www.i-canoe.com/Kayaks/Recreational/Wilderness+Systems+Pamlico+100.html
    or this http://www.daggereurope.com/ just go to products and Recreational range

And then there is something totally new and maybe a runner http://www.i-canoe.com/Kayaks/Inflatable/NRS+Gig+Bob.html This looks pretty good and may be an option

Anythin else I think of Ill stick up anything to distract me from this thesis!!!!

Paddy
    irishcanoekayak.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Nice one guys, some good info and food for thought there.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Hey,

I haven't got time to give a full reply, but while working in the UK a while back I did a resonable amount of work with people who had ( a phrase I hate to use) Special needs.

It really depens on what kind of mobility your friend has as to what typr of kayaking he can take up. If he is a first timer somethign like s Perception Kiwi may be perfect for him.

But if he wants some inspirationas to what is possible get him to check out this wee film HERE

Any questions ask away or if there is anything I can do to help ye out let me know.

Adrian

I'd agree with you there, the perception kiwi has plenty of support and a proper seat, could be suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

Just say this on Adverts HERE would be ideal for your friend and is going pretty cheap.

Adrian

• Advertisement
Advertisement