Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I give His money back?

Options
  • 12-04-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I sell 2nd hand pc yesterday on the other site but I told him I don't give warranty, He check the pc working 100% in my house and satisfied then buy it from me. today the guy (african) told me that the system crash and he want his money back eventhough that I told him it's a 2nd hand and I don't give warranty on it. But still I give him a free service tomorrow but He insisted to give him money back or else He said He's going to call gardai. I told him okey call them first then call me back. until now I'm waiting for his call.

Any suggestion?

thanks you,
    simoniz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

afaik he has no comeback and its entirely upto you what you do, i might be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Buyer beware. Simple as. Let him go to the gardai if he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Keep your money, its yours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Beware of a scam, always. Check the ram is still there, hard drive, graphics card etc.

Saying this as he does not want you to take a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I would not have sold it to him, sorry to say I was expecting your next line and was not surprised. It was fine when he took it and it's very unlikely it would break down the very next day.

You did the right thing by letting him get the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

I was just worried as He know where I live, where he check the pc working properly. and still can't believe that He refuse my free of charge service tomorrow morning and He insist the money back. I told Him It just take 2 hours to re install the new operating system and He said He can't wait.

thank you guys for the advice and guide. appreciate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

He can call the guards , bring in a solicitor etc and he hasn't a leg to stand on . The hardest thing you hard to do is put up with his harassment.An if that harassment per sis then get in contact with the guards your self!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gardai will tell him to feck off for wasting their time and rightly so,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Sounds very like a scam to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Out of decency you could give him his money back, he bought it off you yesterday and it broke today, not a good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

do not give him his money back, you have offered a repair he has not allowed you to even look at it so hes not entitled to a refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Out of decency you could give him his money back, he bought it off you yesterday and it broke today, not a good service.

Out of decency, the OP offered to look at the machine and reinstall the OS. That's 2-3 hours of his own time.

Legally, the OP has no further obligation at all, and is going further than he should.

The buyer was happy when he bought it. End of story. Buyer beware. But, as others have said, it sounds more like a scam than an unhappy buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Caveat emptor, let him call the Guards, who is to say that he did not do the damage to the system himself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"the system crash" could be just about anything really, down to something wrong with the computer or something the customer put on it himself. IMO the OP was right to offer to look at the machine and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I would partially agree with this - but if he was offered a service and refused it could be:

1. buyers remorse - bought something and regretted parting with his/her money.

2. A scammer who bought something - took out valuable parts and replaced with generic cheap replacements or didnt replace and then claimed it was broken and demands money back.

3. A genuine problem - the item could have worked at your place when tested but the buyer might have damaged in transit or at his/her own home and this would have let to it not working.

My vote goes for ....dont return the money unless you are 100% satisfied that the buyer isnt scamming and you have a reasonable chance of reselling at a similar rate..... he has no legal redress at this stage, gardai wont entertain him .... you have offered to look at it and see ....which is a fair offer....it does smell a little of scam to me - but thats probably because others have all said scam scam scam ...and I'm a sheeple

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

simoniz wrote: »
    today the guy (african) told me that the system crash and he want his money back eventhough that I told him it's a 2nd hand and I don't give warranty on it.

What's this (highlighted) got to do with the scenario???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

amdublin wrote: »

nothing, nobody has made an issue of it until now.
    what the op could do is take a look at it, draw some air in through his teeth and say something like "well, it's needs some work, so i'll only buy it off you for a quarter of what you're asking"
    it's now a completely independent deal, right?

Turns out computer system crash due to the buyer can't wait when the SP3 updating (that took ages)

He call me back when I think the gardai can't help him in anyway but I'm still stands on my offer to fix it.
    PC fix again hope this ends of the story, buyer is not a scammer but using the Irish law that He thinks He can just get a refund like what they did to some shop like (Argos)

Again the problem is in the software not hardware, which I believe everybody here will understands that the software can easily broke if not install properly or delete accidentally some files.
    The guys turn off and on the pc 3 times before He bought it off to me.

Have a goodnight to all:)

maybe it would help on my query as I receive lots of spam as well about shipping to there and there . But I'm not pointing my finger, if It's mean to you I'm really sorry didn't mean anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

... and the pc brigade enters...

its relevant as large amounts of scams originate from africa.

Also On Topic, its Buyer Beware - no warranty given unless explicitly stated as it was a private sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

simoniz wrote: »
    Turns out computer system crash due to the buyer can't wait when the SP3 updating (that took ages)

The guys turn off and on the pc 3 times before He bought it off to me.

Thats almost as good as my cousin who is so impatient she pulls the power cord out of her pc rather than waiting for it to shut down and then can't understand why it stopped working :)

If you're selling any more second hand PCs what I would do is to do a clean install of the OS, apply any patches to it and then make a Ghost image of the HD and either put it on DVD or on a secondary partition of the HD. That way its a lot quicker to get it back to the state it was sold in if the buyer mucks it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP

This is a private sale, so the term "caveat emptor" applies here. If they buyer does contact the Gardaí, they will tell him to go away as it is a transaction between two parties.

This isn't actually a Consumer Issue - as the sale was between private parties.

I deliver the pc today to His work place with complete updates. hope everything well and I made a pair transaction.

Have a good sunny day to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Fook him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Scam, were the banknotes real BTW ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jimoc wrote: »
    Thats almost as good as my cousin who is so impatient she pulls the power cord out of her pc rather than waiting for it to shut down and then can't understand why it stopped working :)
    i have nieces that kick out at their delicate but still good 8yeear old pc when playing games on it, then they cry about their sims3 game being slow and stalling all the time:D

Advertisement