Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #53 - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Dream Theater

Options
  • 12-04-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

The voting for the latest Album of the Week went as follows (only albums with more than one vote are listed):

Band
    |
    Album
    |
    Vote Count

Type O Negative|Slow, Deep and Hard|2
    Dream Theater|Black Clouds & Silver Linings|3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Meh, it's an alright album, nothing stellar.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

One of DT's weaker albums, tbh. Of their more recent albums, Octavarium, ToT and 6DoIT are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

One of DT's weaker albums, tbh. Of their more recent albums, Octavarium, ToT and 6DoIT are much better.

Systematic Chaos is in my top DT albums.

...:( Don't judge me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This has Count of Tuscany, easily the best song written in a long time. Wither is a erally powerful tune, and the songs I heard live equal anything else.

Reminds me of the days sitting by my cousins pool in Sydney listening to it constantly, only song I'd skip is Shattered Fortress. Need to make an AA suite playlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I be inclined to say its almost as good as 6DOIT but its far far superior to Octavarium which in my opinion is a very dated album, and is also a far better album that both Systematic Chaos and ToT,

Im personally a big fan of BC&SL and still listen to it regularly almost a year later. Which is a very good sign imo.. Its only downfall is it doesnt quite have the song diversity of Awake or I&W or Scenes, but what it does have is 4 very epic songs and 2 of Dream Theaters best ever singles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mushy wrote: »
    Need to make an AA suite playlist.

I did :)

I did :)

I still need some of the songs:eek: How bad of me!

Listened to the album again today, still love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Like this album very much and think it's one of DT's best actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm glad to see this album generated some discussion. I have to say I'm not much of a fan of Dream Theater but John Myung is a fantastic bassist.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'm glad to see this album generated some discussion. I have to say I'm not much of a fan of Dream Theater but John Myung is a fantastic bassist.

Yeah it can be a more divisive album cos it doesn't have as much variance as other earlier albums. Songs are more in the vein of Train of Thought, in that they are long and heavy, although bit more subtle than ToT. Thats why I prefer it over that album anyway, still think it contains enough uniqueness of DT, with some kickass riffs all over the place to really enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think this is a really good album. I wasn't mad on Systematic Chaos at all. Had some moments but as an album I was disappointed.

Wasn't expecting much for this but when I listened to it through I thought it was fantastic. And it's grown on me more. There are some beautiful sections in it, such as in The Count of Tuscany.

Wither is a really nice song. Thanks for the video Malice, hadn't seen it. Good to see a clip of the two Mike's sitting there chatting seen as they're two of my favourite bands.

I would probably say I prefer this over Octavarium as well. It's a very easy album to just stick on and enjoy I felt. I'd disagree with waltersobchak about ToT though, I think that is a classic DT album. It's just so heavy, real straight up metal and so different to their other stuff.

I guess that's a good thing about DT though in that their albums are actually fairly different. I think that BC&SL has something special that I like. Can't put my finger on it though.

So, not their best album ever (Awake,SFAM), but really enjoyable to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Wither is a really nice song. Thanks for the video Malice, hadn't seen it. Good to see a clip of the two Mike's sitting there chatting seen as they're two of my favourite bands.
    Don't thank me, thank YouTube ;).

Advertisement